Broncos rumors

Wolzen

I heard a story the other day that Mayfield was sitting down interviewing with a team a TV in the background showing some clips of him playing and he stopped the interview to watch highlights of himself. There's the story of him keeping an "enemies list" of media people who've said less-than-flattering things about him. There's the story of him refusing to talk to the Bears at the combine because they just drafted Trubisky. There's the off-field arrests and bad behavior. The guy is just one red flag after another. Throw in his size, the gimmick play ground offense he played in at OU and the fact that his athleticism is absurdly overrated and I say no way, no how do I want him on this team. 

10 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I heard a story the other day that Mayfield was sitting down interviewing with a team a TV in the background showing some clips of him playing and he stopped the interview to watch highlights of himself. There's the story of him keeping an "enemies list" of media people who've said less-than-flattering things about him. There's the story of him refusing to talk to the Bears at the combine because they just drafted Trubisky. There's the off-field arrests and bad behavior. The guy is just one red flag after another. Throw in his size, the gimmick play ground offense he played in at OU and the fact that his athleticism is absurdly overrated and I say no way, no how do I want him on this team. 

Yea there's a difference between uber competitive and just douchey 

Yea there's a difference between uber competitive and just douchey 

Ya, I actually am more concerned with on-field-traits but its hard to deny that he comes off as quite immature. A mind game worth playing is to imagine how he reacts to making a string of mistakes on the field, or losing a string of games. You don't want someone that rolls over, but you also don't want someone that goes atomic and just looses his grip. I can see Baker being the later in the pros.

Its one of the reasons that I like Rosen. His attention span to mistakes seems computer like in how he just can 'delete'. And that's a great trait for a QB. He just doesn't seem to compound mistakes, doesn't seem to take things too hard when going bad, or even going well. I like that quality.

I'll give Baker a shot, but he's gone at 3 to the Jets.  Of the top 4 QB's the only one I would vomit over drafting is Josh Allen.  I want a QB who looks good in games not in shorts.  Josh Allen sucks in games, I don't care how hard someone throws if they can't read a defense and it a target.  D1AA was too fast for Allen, Browns misery continues.

@AnAngryAmerican, I heard the same rumblings a few weeks back that the Giants would take Darnold if he fell to #2.  More recently, however, their beat writers are saying that they're locked into Barkley at 2.  The fact that a lot of analysts picked them to win the AFC East and as a dark horse Super Bowl team is creeping back into their thought process.  To be fair, that offense healthy, with Barkley is awesome on paper, despite Eli being completely done at this point.

Jets seem locked in on Mayfield, and he's hinting a mutual infatuation on his social media.  I think that's locked in too.  

Pick 4 is the real wild card. I even saw it mentioned on Rotoworld that the Browns have "considered" taking two QB's in the top 4 hahaha.

14 minutes ago, elliot878 said:

I'll give Baker a shot, but he's gone at 3 to the Jets.  Of the top 4 QB's the only one I would vomit over drafting is Josh Allen.  I want a QB who looks good in games not in shorts.  Josh Allen sucks in games, I don't care how hard someone throws if they can't read a defense and it a target.  D1AA was too fast for Allen, Browns misery continues.

@AnAngryAmerican, I heard the same rumblings a few weeks back that the Giants would take Darnold if he fell to #2.  More recently, however, their beat writers are saying that they're locked into Barkley at 2.  The fact that a lot of analysts picked them to win the AFC East and as a dark horse Super Bowl team is creeping back into their thought process.  To be fair, that offense healthy, with Barkley is awesome on paper, despite Eli being completely done at this point.

Jets seem locked in on Mayfield, and he's hinting a mutual infatuation on his social media.  I think that's locked in too.  

Pick 4 is the real wild card. I even saw it mentioned on Rotoworld that the Browns have "considered" taking two QB's in the top 4 hahaha.

While the Browns are the Browns, if the Browns did that they'd hold all the cards for a QB desperate team. Now I don't think for a second they actually do that but it would be interesting to see it done.

Elway got a conditional 2019 7th (2018 7.2 would have been  better but can’t get greedy esp. since NYG has few picks this year) for Riley Dixon.   Guess they didn’t want to get into a bidding match.  Whatever - I’ll take it lol.   Most 7th rounders bust but hey it’s a free shot.  

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Elway got a conditional 2019 7th (2018 7.2 would have been  better but can’t get greedy esp. since NYG has few picks this year) for Riley Dixon.   Guess they didn’t want to get into a bidding match.  Whatever - I’ll take it lol.   Most 7th rounders bust but hey it’s a free shot.  

Great value.  Would’ve rather had Dixon than the complete dumb*** that’s Marquette King, though.

As bad as it seems, and I hope I’m proven wrong, but as Marquette King stated himself, “Denver’s the fun team.”  Fully expect them to take the clown Baker Mayfield at #5 if he’s available as well.

Maybe Mayfield and King can team up and have twitter wars and pin up media hit lists together, while doing anything and everything possible to make sure their social feeds are getting as many hits as possible.

15 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

That's the key. Even if not Luck, they would immediately change the long-term trajectory of this team. Matt Ryan isn't going to be a HOF player, and I would take a 10 year career of a Matt Ryan over a 10 year career of the greatest OG to ever play the game. Its just that much more important of a position.

So would I, that's a no brainer! I'm not so sure he doesn't end up in the HOF.  Rookie of the year, 1 time league MVP, 4 pro bowls, 1 all pro. He's a great QB.

As far as this draft though I don't see one Matty Ice, not even close. His only knock was his long ball. That was it. He's gone on to have a great career, not unexpected. I'd doubt seriously if any of this years QB's have close to that kind of career.

Matts a bad comparison for a rookie. That's a pretty high bar.

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So would I, that's a no brainer! I'm not so sure he doesn't end up in the HOF.  Rookie of the year, 1 time league MVP, 4 pro bowls, 1 all pro. He's a great QB.

As far as this draft though I don't see one Matty Ice, not even close. His only knock was his long ball. That was it. He's gone on to have a great career, not unexpected. I'd doubt seriously if any of this years QB's have close to that kind of career.

Matts a bad comparison for a rookie. That's a pretty high bar.

If you don’t see a Ryan I really get why you don’t want a QB at 1.5.  Keep in mind Ryan had 2016 as an elite QB otherwise he’s literally been a back end top 10 QB every other year and  his first 2 years he was very much a league average (or even a little below average) QB.   He’s really no lock to be a HoF QB.   2016 was a true outlier.  Matt’s a pretty fair comp if a league average floor / non-elite but very good (top 8-10 tier) ceiling is seen. 

History says 2 of the 4 guys being touted in the top 5 should be at his level.   That would be meaningless if the scouting didn’t match up though.   I really do see both Darnold and Rosen with the safe floor of being at least league average and Rosen with a top 5-6 ceiling and Darnold with a top 3 ceiling.   

If you’d take a Matt Ryan career from any of the QB taken at 1.5 then it’s just a matter of opinion on the players.    I think both Darnold and Rosen have similar (Rosen) or higher (Darnold) ceilings than Ryan did and very similar floors.    Allen’s floor is much lower (bust) and Mayfield has both a lower floor (not outright bad bust like Allen could be) and I don’t see top  5-6 ceiling with him.   So I’d concur with passing on Allen and Mayfield at 1.5 (even though I’m conflicted on Mayfield just not enough NFL level throws required to know from his college days).   But IMO Darnold and Rosen are easy franchise QB picks to be made at 1.5.  

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Heard from la confora if we trade back the boise state linebacker is a target. Any thoughts on him?

Read that as well.  Vander Esche is going to be a really good player in the NFL.  He’s in that Urlacher/Dansby category of size and speed with the ability to be a terrific all around player.  He’s the prototype for a cover 2 Mike linebacker.

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Read that as well.  Vander Esche is going to be a really good player in the NFL.  He’s in that Urlacher/Dansby category of size and speed with the ability to be a terrific all around player.  He’s the prototype for a cover 2 Mike linebacker.

Thats what I figured what are the injuries that are being red flagged though?

If we landed him and a nice guard I'd be estatic round one.

What was that actor that played in dawsons creek it sounds similar.

20 hours ago, elliot878 said:

First I do need to clarify that Wyoming (and the rest of the MWC) is D1, no D1AA.

That said, Josh Allen is No. 3 on my QB list, and a tier below both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen, but I wouldn't flip out if we drafted him at No. 5. I've seen him play in person twice and I see a player with potential off the charts who is a true field general and has great rapport with his teammates and respect of his opponents; even in a rivalry as fierce at CSU-Wyoming, the Rams players and coaches all had nothing but high praise for him as a competitor and a talent. However, I do understand the concerns about him and they are entirely valid, it would be a roll of the dice pick. What has made me come around a little more on him the last four months has been the way he has, by all reports, improved his accuracy and footwork from the Poke's Bowl Game, to the Senior Bowl, to the combine, to his pro day. That shows he is coachable and his flaws, at least to an extent, are correctable. I would not quibble, however, with anyone who expressed discomfort with us drafting him as the concerns are valid, my argument to those parties would simply be, "let's wait and see what he looks like come August 2019."

What would be interesting would be this scenario: 

1 - Cleveland - Josh Allen

2 - Giants - Saquaon Barkley

3 - Jets - Baker Mayfield

At this point Cleveland would be getting major offers to move down with both Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen still on the board. A guy I know who is a major beat writer for the Broncos, someone who's name you would all know and who you all respect, mentioned to me a few weeks ago that he believes, pretty strongly, that Darnold is the No. 1 QB on our board by a fairly wide margin (but, at the time, they didn't expect him to last until No. 5) because they love the pedigree, the intangibles and believe he brings Rosen-like ability from the pocket but with much more ability outside the pocket. He says they see some shades of Aaron Rodgers. Elway in his press conference the other day said, and I'm paraphrasing, "you have to be able to win from the pocket, that's how we won with Peyton," but the ability to create outside the pocket is valuable as well. If Cleveland's phone is ringing off the hook they could hold us hostage for No. 4 and Sam Darnold, picking up an extra day 2 pick, and still being able to land Bradley Chubb at No. 5. 

How would you guys feel about that?  We get Sam Darnold, who I think most around here really like, but we have to give up, say our first 3rd rounder for him?  Or a swap of 40 for 64? 

13 hours ago, germ-x said:

As bad as it seems, and I hope I’m proven wrong, but as Marquette King stated himself, “Denver’s the fun team.”  Fully expect them to take the clown Baker Mayfield at #5 if he’s available as well.

Maybe Mayfield and King can team up and have twitter wars and pin up media hit lists together, while doing anything and everything possible to make sure their social feeds are getting as many hits as possible.

LOL. I hope you're being facetious. I am scared out of my mind we take Mayfield too but I really doubt a free agent punter knows what Elway & Co.'s plans are for the draft. He's probably just throwing shade at Gruden and the Raiders organization. If you look at the Broncos, we are a fun team, there isn't a more "fun" guy in the league than Von. 

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

If you don’t see a Ryan I really get why you don’t want a QB at 1.5.  Keep in mind Ryan had 2016 as an elite QB otherwise he’s literally been a back end top 10 QB every other year and  his first 2 years he was very much a league average (or even a little below average) QB.   He’s really no lock to be a HoF QB.   2016 was a true outlier.  Matt’s a pretty fair comp if a league average floor / non-elite but very good (top 8-10 tier) ceiling is seen. 

History says 2 of the 4 guys being touted in the top 5 should be at his level.   That would be meaningless if the scouting didn’t match up though.   I really do see both Darnold and Rosen with the safe floor of being at least league average and Rosen with a top 5-6 ceiling and Darnold with a top 3 ceiling.   

If you’d take a Matt Ryan career from any of the QB taken at 1.5 then it’s just a matter of opinion on the players.    I think both Darnold and Rosen have similar (Rosen) or higher (Darnold) ceilings than Ryan did and very similar floors.    Allen’s floor is much lower (bust) and Mayfield has both a lower floor (not outright bad bust like Allen could be) and I don’t see top  5-6 ceiling with him.   So I’d concur with passing on Allen and Mayfield at 1.5 (even though I’m conflicted on Mayfield just not enough NFL level throws required to know from his college days).   But IMO Darnold and Rosen are easy franchise QB picks to be made at 1.5.  

His one elite year as well, 2016, came when he was working under the best offensive coordinator in football. That being said, I think Matt Ryan is a second-tier QB, not the elite tier but the tier right below that, which is good enough to win a Super Bowl.

And I think Mayfield and Allen have the exact same floor - total bust - but Allen has a Hall of Fame ceiling while Mayfield is no where close to that, even if some OC is able to get some kind of goofy option to occasionally work against NFL defenses. But I think the floors for both Rosen and Darnold are average starter or at worst, long-term, reliable career backup, which would make both a bust as top-5 picks, but I don't see either completely flaming out and being out of the league before the end of their rookie contract, which is at least a possibility with the other two. 

Archived