Broncos rumors

Wolzen

Also, not quite a rumor, but I don't get the Ballage hype. I don't really see him as being a particularly good pro, although I'm sure we'll draft him because he has a Colorado connection. We seem to do that a lot. There's probably 6-8 backs I would take over him without even blinking.

13 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

Talib's coming off his 4th Pro Bowl and is still playing at a high level and Saunders, well sure his production declines with who has been throwing to him. Contracts can be renegotiated or restructured, Heard we offered Talib and a 2nd  for Alex Smith, so he does have value. You got your opinion, gotta agree to disagree

Even if they had offered that (which they obviously didn't), the deal would show just how LITTLE trade value Talib has.

Washington traded a non-pro bowl corner and a 3rd rd pick- if Talib had as much value as you're suggesting, he wouldn't need to be supplemented by a 2nd round pick. 

2 hours ago, champ11 said:

If Elway wants to win next year, keeping Talib would be huge. Has seemed unlikely to me, but I frankly think the defense will have a significant drop off without him.

If Ray and Barrett continue their average to slightly above average play that is a mediocre defense IMO 

Don't you think the emphasis on "winning next year" may be fools gold? Outside of a couple positions we have no depth. Starting OL is awful, we have no QB, our player contracts are incredibly top heavy with just a few stars. If we clean up the roster we end up with lots of dead money for next year.

Our offensive staff is new, we have no established offensive identity, and our culture of winning took quite a hit last year. Our D has lost more than a step, getting abused and blown out by both SB teams. We're in a tough division that I can't see how we can win.

Anyway, I just hope we don't go down the "win now" road with personnel decisions. There are some serious long term implications to that approach with a team as weak as ours.

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Don't you think the emphasis on "winning next year" may be fools gold? Outside of a couple positions we have no depth. Starting OL is awful, we have no QB, our player contracts are incredibly top heavy with just a few stars. If we clean up the roster we end up with lots of dead money for next year.

Our offensive staff is new, we have no established offensive identity, and our culture of winning took quite a hit last year. Our D has lost more than a step, getting abused and blown out by both SB teams. We're in a tough division that I can't see how we can win.

Anyway, I just hope we don't go down the "win now" road with personnel decisions. There are some serious long term implications to that approach with a team as weak as ours.

I agree with you. But paying Cousins the big bucks means the team is probably going to be in the playoff picture and therefore fairly competitive although not a contender. I don’t think keeping Talib would necessarily be an anti-future move, they might just need to get a little more creative with their money shedding. But I agree that they absolutely need to rebuild depth and talent and should not deal draft picks or anything like that. 

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Not having any depth on the roster is a major problem - and a legacy of crappy drafts for the last 4/5 years.

Cleaning up the roster does not necessarily mean a lot of dead money. The only two that are above $1million are Sanders $5.375million and Watson $2.667million. Unless Sanders gets traded he will be on the roster - if he is traded his dead cap money drops to $2.688million. The advantage of dumping Watson is that he has a cap hit of $7.75million in 2018. Talib and Stephenson are $1million. Most of the rest of those likely heading out the door are very small amounts or involve not dead money (like CJ).

Last year the Broncos had about $5.5million in dead cap money - only the Bengals and Raiders had less.

At the moment the Broncos are on the hook for about $375K of dead cap - the Bills have almost $19million, the 49ers over $15million, the Cowboys over $13million, the Chiefs have almost $6million, the Chargers close to $5million and the Raiders over $2million - and that is without cutting anyone else. if the Broncos cut Talib, Watson and Stephenson and a few others then they will end up with between $5-6million in dead money and about $8.5million if Sanders is shipped out.

2 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Not if the Browns decide they want Barkley

2 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Not if the Browns decide they want Barkley

I can't imagine them doing that after Richardson a few years ago.

43 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

If the Jets want Rosen at 1.4 they need to trade up at 1.2 , it is not impossible that the Giants doens't take Rosen with the 1.2 so Jets jump at 1.2 to take his QB not 1.4. Giant win the trade cause Eli can play one more season before the next Giant QB will be ready.

So Denver have 2 choice if they want a QB. Trade up one spot and take Josh Allen or Cleveland can trade  with Jets fot Allen if Darnold and Rosen are top 2.But...Colts look for Barkley at 1.3 and Browns too.

The next scenario Denver trade down and prefer to miss the next QB ans start a vet (clearly that scenario if they land Cousins)

the first 5 picks will be very interesting this year

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Richardson and Barkley aren't even comparable, IMO. Plus, by that logic, the Browns should never draft QB. If the Browns take their QBOTF at 1, I wouldn't be shocked if they took Barkley considering the impact that younger RBs have had recently.

1 hour ago, broncos67 said:

Richardson and Barkley aren't even comparable, IMO. Plus, by that logic, the Browns should never draft QB. If the Browns take their QBOTF at 1, I wouldn't be shocked if they took Barkley considering the impact that younger RBs have had recently.

Cleveland also has a pretty solid OL.  On paper one of the better units in the league.  He’d be a star in Cleveland, IMO.

Just so it's not lost in the Alex Smith thread, the latest Cousins rumor that affects us obviously.

Just now, Broncofan said:

Well Cousins confirmed what many suspected - MIN would be the lead if they are interested.  

Like I've said in other threads and here, I have no doubt in Cousins being a 3-4W QB.   I've had doubts that he'd want to come here as the #1 choice.   MIN would be crazy to pass up on pursuing him - they've got 50M+ in cap space, they clear 7M+ more if they release Sharif Floyd, and while Barr/Kendricks/Diggs/Hunter all become UFA's in 2019, Barr already counts 12M+ versus the 2018 cap, so extending those 4 guys likely isn't going to take up their whole budget enough to prevent them from paying 25M+ AAV to Cousins.   

Frankly, they'd be nuts to pass up on this opportunity - Keenum was a great story, but his flaws showed up, and Bridgewater is still 2+ years from having played, and it wasn't like he reached a top 10 ceiling when he was playing, either - so with that type of injury, there is no guarantee he can even be anything but JAG now.

I'd say it's likely we are #2 at worst among destinations if Bortles can't pass his physical, but MIN is a clear #1 now. 

20 hours ago, AKRNA said:

It's a different front office. John Dorsey is a good GM and the way guys like Zeke, Fournette and Gurley have done in recent years I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them take Barkley and pair him with whatever QB they take at #1. 

Archived