2018 Green Bay Packers Coaching Staff

{Family Ghost}

1 hour ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Just awesome hearing about all this renewed enthusiasm and energy and even better hearing it from the head coach himself.

The franchise really became a staid, uninspired outfit over the past several seasons.

Credit to McCarthy and Murphy for (finally) recognizing that reality and taking the steps necessary to improve the franchise by getting rid of a lot of dead weight this offseason.

Lots of people had their heads in the sand on that one ;)

MM touched on talking with Gute about players. I'm sure there will be many conversations with those 4 guys in a room for hours. I'm guessing that's not a day at a time type thing. You have to have an off-season plan in order to come up with something that covers all the bases. Have targets. Hit as many as you can. Adjust as necessary

Existing talent

Drafted talent

FA talent

Money

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

MM touched on talking with Gute about players. I'm sure there will be many conversations with those 4 guys in a room for hours. 

Existing talent

Drafted talent

FA talent

Money

So now that we've seen major organizational changes I think it's time to take a knife to the roster.  I hope they are willing to make the tough calls instead of just taking a scalpel to it.  We don't need a band-aid approach.

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

So now that we've seen major organizational changes I think it's time to take a knife to the roster.  I hope they are willing to make the tough calls instead of just taking a scalpel to it.  We don't need a band-aid approach.

I think that will be the most interesting part. MM is still kind of a "family"  type guy, so we shall see. I don't ever see him taking the hard a$$ Belichick approach, which is good and its bad

4 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I think that will be the most interesting part. MM is still kind of a "family"  type guy, so we shall see. I don't ever see him taking the hard a$$ Belichick approach, which is good and its bad

I guess I wouldn't go wild, but I'd take the hard line approach with Cobb, Nelson, and Bulaga on offense.  I'd get rid of the fringe players that haven't shown much in the way of growth .. Trevor Davis, maybe Allison.  I'd try to restructure Matthews .. probably would let Burnett go .. things like that.

10 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I guess I wouldn't go wild, but I'd take the hard line approach with Cobb, Nelson, and Bulaga on offense.  I'd get rid of the fringe players that haven't shown much in the way of growth .. Trevor Davis, maybe Allison.  I'd try to restructure Matthews .. probably would let Burnett go .. things like that.

I know exactly what you're saying - and it may be MM's achilles heel to a point - we'll see

Speaking very loosely and guessing MM brings his teams together via: History, loyalty, family, teammates, the franchise, the fans, the money, do your job - in no particular order

Speaking very loosely and guessing BB brings his teams together via: Here's your money, do your job or we'll trade you or cut you

I still don't get what the fascination with Bulaga is. I don't want him gone at all. We have enough cap space to do what we want, and even still OL isn't where we have a surplus of spending. Bulaga has played up to his deal

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It isn't necessarily wanting him gone .. want cheaper contract .. more incentive based.  The guy is coming off major injury .. shouldn't pay full price for that.

So we should renegotiate his deal because he had an injury? Seriously...

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

It isn't necessarily wanting him gone .. want cheaper contract .. more incentive based.  The guy is coming off major injury .. shouldn't pay full price for that.

With this mentality we should see if Rodgers is willing to take a cut too.

1 minute ago, Kenrik said:
6 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

With this mentality we should see if Rodgers is willing to take a cut too

We could use the cap savings to extend him!

3 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

With this mentality we should see if Rodgers is willing to take a cut too.

Sorry, that's real football .. have to make cold blooded decisions to stay on top.  Give him a restructured deal with incentives .. if he can stay on the field he gets paid.  There's already a good chance he misses the first 6 games of the season on the pup list.

15 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Not sure we can afford to take a hard line approach with all of Nelson, Cobb, CM3 and Bulaga as losing all 4 would be absolutely crippling.  It will be interesting to see what Gute does.  I don't see him completely abandoning Thompson's methods on GMing and going all Redskinsish where they throw blank checks at anyone and everyone (which is what they'd likely have to do if they foolishly cut all 4 of those guys because they wouldn't take pay cuts). 

I'd imagine that either Cobb and or Nelson's restructure is going to come in the form of an extension (likely Nelson as he's the FAR superior WR and he's older).  it wouldn't at all hurt my feelings if Cobb was too walk as I much prefer Nelson in the slot over RC.  

Not sure we can afford to cut CM3 given the waste land we have at OLB.  He's our most consistent pass rusher.  We can't depend on Perry to be a #1 rusher and there garbage behind those 2.

Unlike CM3, Cobb and Nelson, Buluga's issue hasn't been a lack of production.  He's had issues staying healthy which is a hard sell for him to take a pay cut (IMO).

1 minute ago, SSG said:

Not sure we can afford to cut CM3 given the waste land we have at OLB.  He's our most consistent pass rusher.  We can't depend on Perry to be a #1 rusher and there garbage behind those 2.

I don't want to cut Matthews .. want to extend him a year or two and lower his cap number.  He's still a useful player. 

Archived