2018 Green Bay Packers Coaching Staff

{Family Ghost}

I just finished listening to the press conferences. Pettine said stopping the pass was the most important thing, because not being able to stop the pass was the fastest way to lose. Then I listened to MM and he said he thought stopping the run first was the most important thing. Hum. :S

5 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I just finished listening to the press conferences. Pettine said stopping the pass was the most important thing, because not being able to stop the pass was the fastest way to lose. Then I listened to MM and he said he thought stopping the run first was the most important thing. Hum. :S

There's no way Mike M actually believes that based on his own playcalling lol.

2 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

There's no way Mike M actually believes that based on his own playcalling lol.

You make a great point! MM just talks in cliches. I think Pettine really means it when he says he's gonna focus on stopping the pass first. That brings up an important question. Does he have the personnel to do it? King at one boundary and House at the other, with Randall in the slot might work with a much better pass rush. If they're lucky they get one of the top edge rushers at #14, but he'll still be just a rookie. My prediction is they draft that rookie edge, and sign a veteran upgrade over House. I'll be watching the veteran FA market closely for someone who can play press coverage.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

You make a great point! MM just talks in cliches. I think Pettine really means it when he says he's gonna focus on stopping the pass first. That brings up an important question. Does he have the personnel to do it? King at one boundary and House at the other, with Randall in the slot might work with a much better pass rush. If they're lucky they get one of the top edge rushers at #14, but he'll still be just a rookie. My prediction is they draft that rookie edge, and sign a veteran upgrade over House. I'll be watching the veteran FA market closely for someone who can play press coverage.

MM is coachspeaky .. Pettine was a much better interview .. that's for sure.  As of right now he doesn't have enough on hand to have a top defense, but if he could get the communication cleaned up and disguise the defense better they would get off the field more.  I expect a better defense,  but Gute has to do some work to get the personnel needed for a really good defense.

23 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I think they are trying to say the same thing. McCarthy’s comment came about in the face of the media just wanting to focus on pass defense, pass defense, pass defense (because GB has been soooo bad at it).

He is looking at it from a bigger picture. They still need to stop the run because the run is used so heavily to control the game and tempo. McCarthy doesn’t want teams running on them because that means his offense and Aaron get less bites at the apple.

To Pettine’s point... if you can’t stop the pass you will just get beat faster. Getting beat by the run game is inherently a slow bleed. I’m sure the defense is focus on both... just the run defense has performed better so there isn’t as much “work” needed there.

"The key thing is the energy, and the finish is something that we have to get right," Whitt said. "I hope all the guys understand that we have to play with a passion that's second to none, and hopefully, they'll understand that.

"One thing I have really noticed [with the coaches] is the energy in the room is really high, and the players are going to feel that."

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/energy-is-the-key-to-packers-joe-whitt-jr-in-new-role-331

Methinks Joe Whitt was not all that impressed with the "energy" and "passion" displayed by the defense, and the defensive coaches, under former defensive coordinator Dom Capers.

My only hope is that there is a stronger push to shape the schemes around the players they have.  My impression is that the coaching mentality the last few years on defense was; "The scheme is good. Nope, nothing wrong there. Players are just not executing the scheme."  And the losses piled up. Based purely on statements, it sounds like Pettine is going to coach toward his talent pool.  I think there will be significant improvements on that side of the ball.  Very exciting off season for a change.  Interested to see what Gutenkunst does in FA.  Green Bay could be very active.  

I just watched all the pressers, and I have to say I am excited. I liked Pettine and I think he understands the league. I personally felt the league passed Capers bye. I'm also happy to have Philbin back, and I feel he can get our offense going again. Obviously you can really only win on the field, but we wanted changes and we got it. So far I am on board, and like what I am seeing. 

Archived