John Dorsey to Joe Thomas: "I Don't Believe in Playing Rookie QBs."

Mind Character

Joe on the Golic & Wingo podcast said that the first time he sat down with John Dorsey....Dorsey immediately told him "I don't believe in playing rookie Quarterbacks"?

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/show?showId=golicandwingo

If we really are willing to sit a rookie QB, then we have to go Darnold.

I'm looking for any evidence to confirm my bias for Sam Darnold...could this tidbit be it? Please John Dorsey...

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

We SHOULD draft Darnold, sit him, and acquire Alex Smith or another solid veteran, assuming we don't go the Cousins route.

Draft a rookie QB....get alex smith for 2 years....continue to develop Kizer....

I've been saying this since October :)

This is just my opinion but what was the purpose of saying this?  I know he's the GM but I didn't realize he's the one that will be setting up the depth chart as well for the team. Regardless of Hue being loathed at this moment in time, in my eyes this comment oversteps the bounds between GM and head coach.  So if rookie QB X legitimately blows the coaching staff away in training camp, they shouldn't start him because the GM says "I don't believe in playing rookie Quarterbacks"?  Perhaps I'm interpreting the quote incorrectly but at this moment in time, it just seems stupid for him to say this.  Do your job first Dorsey and get good players for the team before you start making comments about the depth chart and who you believe or don't believe in playing.

Peace!!!

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

I honestly believe there’s only two QBs who Dorsey’s going to want at 1. Darnold or Allen. Just a guy feeling. That’s who he’d want. 

I speak on behalf of everyone else in this thread by saying thank you. Thank you for honoring us enough to express yourself openly & honestly. Here's a guy being vulnerable. 

4 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

I honestly believe there’s only two QBs who Dorsey’s going to want at 1. Darnold or Allen. Just a guy feeling. That’s who he’d want. 

2 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

I speak on behalf of everyone else in this thread by saying thank you. Thank you for honoring us enough to express yourself openly & honestly. Here's a guy being vulnerable. 

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

Your turn next sister.

Please don't strike out at those who are here to help. I've got a guy feeling that your projection of feminine qualities onto the Wolf of FF Cleveland is your way of reaching out in the only way you know how. 

But you asked me to speak my truth, so I will: I;m thinking bout thos 9.5" Hands.

paul_sequence8.png

On 1/24/2018 at 1:17 PM, cortes02 said:

This is just my opinion but what was the purpose of saying this?  I know he's the GM but I didn't realize he's the one that will be setting up the depth chart as well for the team. Regardless of Hue being loathed at this moment in time, in my eyes this comment oversteps the bounds between GM and head coach.  So if rookie QB X legitimately blows the coaching staff away in training camp, they shouldn't start him because the GM says "I don't believe in playing rookie Quarterbacks"?  Perhaps I'm interpreting the quote incorrectly but at this moment in time, it just seems stupid for him to say this.  Do your job first Dorsey and get good players for the team before you start making comments about the depth chart and who you believe or don't believe in playing.

Peace!!!

Two things.  One, the purpose was that he probably doesnt want Joe to retire.

Two, wow, you REALLY read too much into that.  He could very easily just be saying that his general belief/philosophy is to not play a rookie at QB.  Simple as that.  It doesn't mean he wouldn't it just means it is his preference.  If the rookie has to step in and does well, I am fairly certain DOrsey wouldn't be calling to bench the guy.  It also has nothing to do with overstepping his boundaries with the coach.  At all. 

Also, it could probably mean that he doesnt think heading into a season with zero combined wins at the QB position where you are forced to start a late 2nd round project QB is a good idea.  

On 1/24/2018 at 1:17 PM, cortes02 said:

Peace!!!

It was an as subtle as Dorsey can be shot at Hueball?

11 hours ago, duke2056 said:

Two things.  One, the purpose was that he probably doesnt want Joe to retire.

Definitely a possibility.  Thomas retiring would be a kick in the ole bean bag for this team.

11 hours ago, duke2056 said:

Two, wow, you REALLY read too much into that.  He could very easily just be saying that his general belief/philosophy is to not play a rookie at QB.  Simple as that.  It doesn't mean he wouldn't it just means it is his preference.  If the rookie has to step in and does well, I am fairly certain DOrsey wouldn't be calling to bench the guy.  It also has nothing to do with overstepping his boundaries with the coach.  At all. 

Completely agree. People are reading the tea leaves with everything everyone is saying right now and I’m not sure why.

Fair enough. We’ve seen it work with some QBs and not with others. I think it should be a case by case basis. I’d prefer to at least have a vet qb on the roster to set an example of a rookie. But If we sign Cousins we shouldn’t have to worry about any rookie QBs for 5-6 years. 

On 1/24/2018 at 12:58 PM, DaWg_LB. said:

Draft a rookie QB....get alex smith for 2 years....continue to develop Kizer....

I've been saying this since October :)

AND you have been right since October. I'm feeling confident Dorsey will not make the same mistakes with 3 rookie QBs on staff for 2018. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived