2018 gopherwrestler Mock. V1

gopherwrestler

3 hours ago, Morleericks said:

I mean keep Bridgewater and forget about Jackson; that's if any of this mock comes true. I personally don't want either.

Keep Keenum and draft a QB. Only FA worth signing is Brees, and that isn't going to happen.

Okay that makes more sense. You changed your mind on Brees. That's sensible (don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him here) but why is that?

4 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Not going to derail this thread, but he was the 2nd worst QB in the playoffs. He played poorly when the stakes were highest. He was not good enough.

You can also quote me if you have something say. Again, you're wrong. He was easily good enough.

Place blame elsewhere, because while he had his mishaps, the rest of the team did far worst.  

Again, wrong. Another reason why I'm so glad fans, you and I alike, have absolutely no baring on the decision making for the future.

Due to how he played this year, I see that Keenum will be signed.... because he was more than good enough; Bridgewater couldn't hope to replicate the product that Case put on the field.

And a QB will be drafted.

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Okay that makes more sense. You changed your mind on Brees. That's sensible (don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him here) but why is that?

When did I change my mind? I always wanted Brees but everybody knows it isn't likely. We are just ready to win now and he makes sense.

Also, would love to take a gamble on Callaway.  Were he not inundated with baggage and had he played in 2017, I believe he would have a case to be WR1 in this draft.  The locker room is likely strong enough at this point to take the occasional flier on players with character concerns.

1 hour ago, Morleericks said:

You can also quote me if you have something say. Again, you're wrong. He was easily good enough.

Place blame elsewhere, because while he had his mishaps, the rest of the team did far worst.  

Again, wrong. Another reason why I'm so glad fans, you and I alike, have absolutely no baring on the decision making for the future.

Due to how he played this year, I see that Keenum will be signed.... because he was more than good enough; Bridgewater couldn't hope to replicate the product that Case put on the field.

LMAO Case Keenum wasn’t just bad in the playoffs.  He had an ok year, but he was carried to the playoffs by being on such a talented roster.  He can make plays, but he is still just the 3rd best QB on our roster.  You are fooling yourself if you actually think that he is a more talented passer that Bradford or Bridgewater.  The ONLY thing that Keenum has on the other 2 QBs is health.

This years draft is extremely deep at OG so I think it’s a waste of money to spend so much on one in free agency.  I think that we could find an OG with the potential to be at Norwell’s level in the 2nd or 3rd round.  I think that money could be better spent at UT since that isn’t as strong in this draft.

I like that you addressed CB because we will definitely need to add another to the roster and I think that free agency might be the best way to do that.

I absolutely hate the idea of drafting a QB in the first three rounds this year.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jackson off the board by our pick and even if he is available at that point I think it may take him at least 2 full years before he is ready to start.  If that were the case then I would imagine Bridgewater would have to start for those two years and if Bridgewater is able to start for two full years then I would think his health isn’t an issue anymore.  If Bridgewater’s health isn’t an issue anymore then he will be our starting QB even after Jackson develops because Bridgewater is a much more talented passer.  Then if Bridgewater is starting over Jackson throughout that time then the Jackson would be a 1st round pick wasted on a backup QB.  I think that Bridgewater will be fine and will be our starter for the next 10 years, but I do think we should have an insurance plan behind him.  Preferably without wasting our 1st round pick.

I like Harrison Phillips as a prospect, but I think he could be had in the 3rd round and I’m not sure why we would take him if Maurice Hurst is still on the board.  I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if Hurst measured in small at the combine and fell in the draft.  I think this is a pretty bad draft year to need a UT.

I don’t see WR as a need at all this offseason.  I think if we needed to we could sign Michael Floyd to another cheap deal and if we decided to go a different way we still have Rodney Adams and Cayleb Jones (who is a beast) on the practice squad.  I also think that Laquon Treadwell will still be a very good play and it’s not his fault that Case Keenum rarely goes through his reads.

This is definitely not how I would prefer our offseason to go, but you did a good job addressing all of our areas of need.  It is definitely an interesting to see how other people are envisioning our offseason coming together though.  I enjoy reading your mocks so keep it up.  Hopefully I will have enough time to get my first mock finished sometime this week.

5 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

LMAO Case Keenum wasn’t just bad in the playoffs.  He had an ok year, but he was carried to the playoffs by being on such a talented roster.  He can make plays, but he is still just the 3rd best QB on our roster.  You are fooling yourself if you actually think that he is a more talented passer that Bradford or Bridgewater.  The ONLY thing that Keenum has on the other 2 QBs is health.

I can agree that Case Keenum is the least physically talented of the three QBs. However, physical talent is not all that matters. Case Keenum has played at a higher level than either Bradford and Bridgewater. There is a small chance that Bridgewater will one day be able to play at the level that Case Keenum has already played at. There is almsot no chance that Sam Bradford will ever play at the level that Case Keenum has played.

While Keenum isn't the most talented passer, he is the best QB of the three IMO. He uses his physical skills far more efficiently than either of the other two.

12 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I like Harrison Phillips as a prospect, but I think he could be had in the 3rd round and I’m not sure why we would take him if Maurice Hurst is still on the board.  I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if Hurst measured in small at the combine and fell in the draft.  I think this is a pretty bad draft year to need a UT.

20. Detroit Lions - Maurice Hurst, DT, Michigan

13 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

This years draft is extremely deep at OG so I think it’s a waste of money to spend so much on one in free agency.  I think that we could find an OG with the potential to be at Norwell’s level in the 2nd or 3rd round. 

i

Norwell was probably the best guard in football last year. Guard is said to be strong, every single year. This one has some talent at the top, I doubt to see one in the late second still available to perform at Norwells level of play anytime soon.

16 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I absolutely hate the idea of drafting a QB in the first three rounds this year.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see Jackson off the board by our pick and even if he is available at that point I think it may take him at least 2 full years before he is ready to start.  If that were the case then I would imagine Bridgewater would have to start for those two years and if Bridgewater is able to start for two full years then I would think his health isn’t an issue anymore.  If Bridgewater’s health isn’t an issue anymore then he will be our starting QB even after Jackson develops because Bridgewater is a much more talented passer.  Then if Bridgewater is starting over Jackson throughout that time then the Jackson would be a 1st round pick wasted on a backup QB.  I think that Bridgewater will be fine and will be our starter for the next 10 years, but I do think we should have an insurance plan behind him.  Preferably without wasting our 1st round pick.

But what if he isn't? Then it now is a complete start over at the QB position next year unless you are willing to spend big money in free agency. Worst situation if Jackson needs another year, you sign another stop gap. 1st round QB's are hardly ever a waste unless they completely bust. Him sitting on the bench, playing well in preseason, situational reps will increase value of players. We saw what it is like to have a QB that is above average on the bench. If Teddy isn't able to improve and just keeps playing at the level he is at then we aren't moving forward.

19 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I think this is a pretty bad draft year to need a UT.

This is false. While the tail end is bad, value in the second round is still strong. Find me a free agent that isn't aging and won't command overpaying for a DT. Free agent DT class is not good.

21 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

Cayleb Jones (who is a beast) on the practice squad.

On the practice squad, in preseason. Not going up against top talent. There is a reason he was put on the practice squad.

22 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I think if we needed to we could sign Michael Floyd

This is a possibility depending on who our OC turns out to be. Looking at the OC's we are interviewing right now, if they stick to the offense bases they have used, he won't be a fit. Along with Treadwell.

23 minutes ago, Kparty15 said:

I also think that Laquon Treadwell will still be a very good play

Absolutely agree, but he will continue to not find much success in a Darrell Bevell offense which is who I picked as the OC of choice.

25 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

On the practice squad, in preseason. Not going up against top talent. There is a reason he was put on the practice squad.

Good point. It's why Adam Thielen will never be a good player.... xD

Just now, Klomp said:

Good point. It's why Adam Thielen will never be a good player.... xD

Adam Thielen played special teams, and stood out that way first. Jones hasn't done that, and never did that.

I'm not saying Jones can't be something, but you can't exactly depend on ever practice squad WR to become what Thielen is.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

Case Keenum has played at a higher level than either Bradford and Bridgewater. There is a small chance that Bridgewater will one day be able to play at the level that Case Keenum has already played at. There is almsot no chance that Sam Bradford will ever play at the level that Case Keenum has played.

I disagree here.  I thought 2016 Bradford was better than 2017 Keenum.  The offense around Bradford was just an abject disaster in 2016.  Small margin, however.

If you had a crystal ball which told me all three quarterbacks would be the model of health moving forward, I take Bradford fairly easily, though he is certainly flawed himself.

3 hours ago, Morleericks said:

Statistically, he was the 2nd worst QB in the playoffs. That is a fact.

The Vikings are not in the super bowl, and Case Keenm is part of the root cause. 

What evidence do you have to support that Bridgewater (or rookie QB in this scenario) “couldn’t hope” to do what Keenum did.

You have a pretty closed minded approach to this off-season in terms of the QB position. Keenum had a chance to shine when the stakes were highest and didn’t. He had a hot stretch of 6 games and was pretty average for the rest of them. Easily replaced and I think either of the other QBs (Bradford or Teddy in the OP’s scenario) or a Rookie like Jackson could fairly easily do what Case did this year and more.

The decision to draft a QB in this mock is the right one in my opinion, because I think that Case played to the absolute best of his abilities, and had a better path the the Super Bowl than anyone could have hoped for (homefiekd game one, and playing against a backup round two) and still fell short.

Time to move on. Jackson is a good pick.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Statistically, he was the 2nd worst QB in the playoffs. That is a fact.

The Vikings are not in the super bowl, and Case Keenm is part of the root cause. 

What evidence do you have to support that Bridgewater (or rookie QB in this scenario) “couldn’t hope” to do what Keenum did.

You have a pretty closed minded approach to this off-season in terms of the QB position. Keenum had a chance to shine when the stakes were highest and didn’t. He had a hot stretch of 6 games and was pretty average for the rest of them. Easily replaced and I think either of the other QBs (Bradford or Teddy in the OP’s scenario) or a Rookie like Jackson could fairly easily do what Case did this year and more.

The decision to draft a QB in this mock is the right one in my opinion, because I think that Case played to the absolute best of his abilities, and had a better path the the Super Bowl than anyone could have hoped for (homefiekd game one, and playing against a backup round two) and still fell short.

Time to move on. Jackson is a good pick.

You can say that Case was the 2nd worst QB in the playoffs for his 2 games, but also it was pretty much Zimmer's & Shumur worst games too. Maybe Harrison's worst 2 games too... Etc

With Teddy, he is unknown and there's no real argument to think he would be performing better than Case. He could for sure, but it's more likely he is worst then 2017 Case.

Archived