Gareon Conley - 1st rd pick - Sign and yet, not delivered...

NightTrainLane

http://fox8.com/2017/07/28/i-team-sex-assault-case-with-football-star-wrapping-up/

This Fox new source has the case going to the grand jury very soon.

This could be a good think or a bad think.

The prosecutor normally ask for this if they aren't sure their evidence is enough or they are complying someone to testify. Not sure if the defense requested a prelimary hearing and was denied by the judge or if they did at all. 

If it does go to a grand jury than the state can present their evidence to the people without Conley lawyer there to refute it.

Here is a description I pulled off the web for those that aren't familiar. Keep in  mind each state may have different procedures. This is just meant for general education.

The grand jury plays an important role in the criminal process, but not one that involves a finding of guilt or punishment of a party. Instead, a prosecutor will work with a grand jury to decide whether to bring criminal charges or an indictment against a potential defendant -- usually reserved for serious felonies. Grand jury members may be called for jury duty for months at a time, but need only appear in court for a few days out of every month. Regular court trial juries are usually 6 or 12 people, but in the federal system, a grand jury can be 16 to 23 people.

How Does a Grand Jury Differ from a Preliminary Hearing?

While all states have provisions in their laws that allow for grand juries, roughly half of the states don't use them. Courts often use preliminary hearings prior to criminal trials, instead of grand juries, which are adversarial in nature. As with grand juries, preliminary hearings are meant to determine whether there is enough evidence, or probable cause, to indict a criminal suspect.

Unlike a grand jury, a preliminary hearing is usually open to the public and involves lawyers and a judge (not so with grand juries, other than the prosecutor). Sometimes, a preliminary hearing proceeds a grand jury. One of the biggest differences between the two is the requirement that a defendant request a preliminary hearing, although the court may decline a request.

Grand Jury Proceedings

Grand jury proceedings are much more relaxed than normal court room proceedings. There is no judge present and frequently there are no lawyers except for the prosecutor. The prosecutor will explain the law to the jury and work with them to gather evidence and hear testimony. Under normal courtroom rules of evidence, exhibits and other testimony must adhere to strict rules before admission. However, a grand jury has broad power to see and hear almost anything they would like.

However, unlike the vast majority of trials, grand jury proceedings are kept in strict confidence. This serves two purposes:

1. It encourages witnesses to speak freely and without fear of retaliation.
  2. It protects the potential defendant's reputation in case the jury does not decide to indict.

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/how-does-a-grand-jury-work.html

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It is officially going to grand jury. From what ive read and researched 9 times out of 10 this means the prosecution feels they have enough evidence to eventually convict Conley although not always the case. 

It also could mean they aren't confident in the amount of evidence they have so they ask for a grand jury rather then file charges out right or have a preliminary hearing where the defense can refute evidence and present argument to a judge before that judges decides if there is enough evidence to bring charges.

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

It is officially going to grand jury. From what ive read and researched 9 times out of 10 this means the prosecution feels they have enough evidence to eventually convict Conley although not always the case. 

You were saying...

giphy.gif

On 7/29/2017 at 3:37 PM, FloydFan said:

Already on the PUP too.

Yup. The pain of shin splints is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Sounds like he tried to ramp up his workout to fast. That is a normal cause. He'll be on the side working on the bike and whatnot for a bit while that heals.

18 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yup. The pain of shin splints is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. Sounds like he tried to ramp up his workout to fast. That is a normal cause. He'll be on the side working on the bike and whatnot for a bit while that heals.

Yeah I am no stranger to them myself. Tough injury to deal with but I'm sure he'll be good to go soon. Ready to see him in action!

4 hours ago, FloydFan said:

Yeah I am no stranger to them myself. Tough injury to deal with but I'm sure he'll be good to go soon. Ready to see him in action!

He said he should be back on the field on Thursday which is good to hear. I know that mine took a few weeks before I was running without pain. He, of course, is doing it for a living and has superior medical care than ice, wraps and rest.

I cannot wait until pre season for the young bucks to show what they have. Definitely have my eye on Conley, not so much cos he is our 1st round pick, but because the position he plays was our biggest set back last season. If he is as good as advertised, then watch out. Marquel is also gonna have multiple eyes on him as he plays the position we ALL knew we had to shore up in the off season, and we plain and simple didn't address it the way we hoped.

It is almost here fellas!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived