Future of David Irving

WizardHawk

This has been thrown around for a week or better, but I am getting a going sense that Dallas isn't terribly committed to David Irving in the long term in any sense. SJ seems to add a little more fuel to that again.

Can anyone figure this out? He's developing well and has at times has flashed elite ability. Dallas slaps him with anything less than a 1st rd tender, someone is going to ****** him up real quick.

I don't get the thought process here?

I'll wait to see what tender they put on him. First or 2nd and I'm good. If he put together a full season then he can have his long term deal. No need to rush it. I'm with SJ on this one. If they just let him walk for nothing then I'm angry.

I certainly understand where they're coming from. He's had a suspension and dealt with some injuries, so it makes sense not to jump the gun and give him a lucrative extension. Slap a 2nd rd tender on him and if someone bites - great, if not, he gets another year to stay out of trouble and repeat this years production.

I wonder if they're posturing at all trying to get him for a 2nd round tender and hoping the negativity about his character is enough to scare teams away for another year. @BobbyBelt would be able to tell you better than me, but from everything I've heard locally, they're certainly giving the impression that they don't trust him.

I get the appeal of turning a practice squad pickup into a 2nd round pick in just 2.5 years... but I would rather have Irving these next two years and see what happens after. Keeping him on a 1st round tender and franchise tag next two years is by no means undoable, especially if they move on from Dez. Letting go of both of them doesn't seem terribly wise.

I think our FO sees what New England did with Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins and wants to operate similarly- save money, get a pick, "send a message" that no one is above the team. Unfortunately, we're not the Patriots. I don't think we'd win 6 games with their current defensive talent, much less a conference championship.

16 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Really? If I am another team I run up and throw a 2nd in Dallas face while I laugh that I get D.I.

Agreed. He has been a monster when healthy. I would put the 1st round tag on him, let him play that out and discuss a long term deal next year. 

IMO we are less than 50% on hitting the 2nd round pick with success and a lot lower if we are going to waste it on another TE that wont see the field because God forbid our coaches man up and tell Witten he cant play every down anymore.

I think there is a schism in the front office on David Irving. I think they're unanimous in believing he has an immature streak, and that there might be some concerns about how he would handle himself with a big payday, but how serious those concerns are depend on who you ask in the personnel department.

I think some would absolutely have no problem letting him walk away (the head coach in particular) while others would put up every road block possible (Will McClay for instance).

Archived