Future of David Irving

WizardHawk

I'm surprised at how many people would be happy letting him walk for a second round pick. 

David Irving is an absolute stud. We got Taco for a first rounder. To think we'll get anywhere close to something of equivalent value of DI with a second round pick is insanely optimistic. This would be really foolish.

7 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

I'm surprised at how many people would be happy letting him walk for a second round pick. 

David Irving is an absolute stud. We got Taco for a first rounder. To think we'll get anywhere close to something of equivalent value of DI with a second round pick is insanely optimistic. This would be really foolish.

I get it, but sometimes the best ability is availability. Putting in a full 16 game season for the first time in his career would go a long way for me joining your stance. If he can do that in this next contract year, im all for locking him up.

And, the core of our defense is built on 2nd rounders. Sean Lee, Demarcus Lawrence(who are both better than DI), Chidobe Awuzie, Jaylon Smith. And Byron Jones and Taco were really really late 1st's. The fact that David Irving himself was found later than the 2nd lends cause for optimism. Not to mention the trade flexibility that an extra 2nd rounder gives you. DI isn't valuable to every team. A 2nd rounder is. And the knowledge that under Marinelli every DT has produced. T.McClain, Maliek Collins, David Irving, etc. Have all had their day in the sun. Even Datone Jones off the street was producing at the end of the year. Irving played 7 games. I need more.

I'm a firm believer it all starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball, Tank and Irving paired together would be an absolute nightmare for opposing defensive coordinators. I'm not blind to the talent I see out of Irving(he looks light years better than Maliek Collins or T. McClain ever did), but he has to stay on the field first otherwise let him walk.

30 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I get it, but sometimes the best ability is availability. Putting in a full 16 game season for the first time in his career would go a long way for me joining your stance. If he can do that in this next contract year, im all for locking him up.

And, the core of our defense is built on 2nd rounders. Sean Lee, Demarcus Lawrence(who are both better than DI), Chidobe Awuzie, Jaylon Smith. And Byron Jones and Taco were really really late 1st's. The fact that David Irving himself was found later than the 2nd lends cause for optimism. Not to mention the trade flexibility that an extra 2nd rounder gives you. DI isn't valuable to every team. A 2nd rounder is. And the knowledge that under Marinelli every DT has produced. T.McClain, Maliek Collins, David Irving, etc. Have all had their day in the sun. Even Datone Jones off the street was producing at the end of the year. Irving played 7 games. I need more.

I'm not arguing for a $100M contract, I'm arguing for a higher tender than a 2nd round pick.

Of course you can find gems later. But I still feel like this is arguing to trade your 1st rounder for a couple of 6ths because Tom Brady was found in that round. The draft is a crapshoot. You can't give up a guy that productive for a mediocre draft pick. 

13 hours ago, WizardHawk said:

No way I let this production walk for a 2nd rder.   

Deflections? What about tackles? TFLs? Games played? Hurries? Did all of those other guys play all 16 games? What if some of them missed some games too? Irving was super productive in the games he played. I totally agree, but I'm not paying those prices for 8 games. Demarcus Lawrence has a hard enough time staying on the field, and we have to sign him. 

What if the 2nd was like 33rd overall? 

On 1/31/2018 at 2:10 AM, DaBoys said:

Deflections? What about tackles? TFLs? Games played? Hurries? Did all of those other guys play all 16 games? What if some of them missed some games too? Irving was super productive in the games he played. I totally agree, but I'm not paying those prices for 8 games. Demarcus Lawrence has a hard enough time staying on the field, and we have to sign him. 

Well, I wouldn't pay him $10m/yr either at this point, but that's not the issue right now. 

What if the 2nd was like 33rd overall? 

Nope. Irving has some baggage and injury concerns for sure, but Dallas has dealt with worse for less production. 

Archived