You'll Hate This Mock

armsteeld

RD1. OLB Marquis Haynes 6'2 233: Cheetah-like acceleration.  Turns the corner like a Ferrari.  Relentless.  His impressive speed to power rush and can string together pass rush moves.  Has experience playing in 2 point stance and dropping into coverage.  Is not the best against the run but does a great job of using his arms to keep his body clean.  Too small?  Vic Beasley was the same size when he was drafted.

RD2. SS Marcus Allen Penn State 6'2 208: Big hitter.  Uses excellent form to tackle.  Makes some hit stick hits going directly at the RBs.  Has great range.  Has good hands.  Will sometimes take aggressive angles in pass defense.  I like his style of play but I'm skeptical of his pass coverage.  Not a ball hawk but he is an enforcer.

RD3. CB Jamal Peters Miss St CB 6'2 218: Fast.  Physical.  Challenges receivers at the catch point.  Good in Man or Zone.  Under the radar prospect.  Solid player.

RD5. FS Hootie Jones 6'1 215: Fast.  Great range.  Great ballskills.  Solid tackler.  Will lay a big hit.  One of the better Zone cover FS in this draft capable of 2 deep and Single high.  For you stats guys, here is a Pro Football Focus analysis:

• Alabama senior S Hootie Jones led all draft-eligible safeties with his forced incompletion percentage by just allowing 35.3 percent of his targets to be completed.
  • Jones also ranked No. 12 in snaps in coverage per target (17.88) and No. 3 in snaps in coverage per reception allowed (43.43) among that same group of safeties in 2016.
  • At 6-foot-2, 215-pounds, Jones has no problem tackling bigger receivers and running backs, as evidenced in his seventh-ranked tackling efficiency in the 2018 draft class.
  • Jones’ coverage ability has yet to translate into success against the run. He totaled just one run stop on 119 snaps (0.8 percent) against the run in 2016. https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2018-prospect-preview-alabama-s-hootie-jones-excels-in-coverage

RD5. TE Christopher Herndon  6'4 252: Fast.  Very fluid route runner.  Solid blocker.  Has nice hands.  Good runner after the catch.  Makes combat catches.

RD7. ILB Genard Avery Memphis 6'1 255: Explosive.  Fast.  Uses hands well when taking on blocks.  Effective when blitzing off the edge.  Dips well to get under the Tackles block.  High motor.

RD7. WR Janarion Grant 5'9 176: Shifty.  Explosive.  Fast.  Quickly shifts directions without losing speed.  Excellent returner and has 7 return touchdowns both punts and kickoff returns.  Solid receiver.

I don't hate it at all but I would like to address a run stuffing NT in the draft this year. I am a fan of Haynes but not  sure he fits what we ask of our OLB at this point. As much as I would  love to have the good ol days of a sack artist on the outside, the scheme has shifted a bit and our olb are asked to be equally as good in coverage as they are at getting pressure. I would prefer that we had a special pass rusher on the team but I don't think we go that direction.

3 hours ago, steelcurtain29 said:

What in the Al Davis (RIP) draft logic is going on here?

(?)

In all seriousness, I don't hate it. It's solid. Why don't we have a 4th? Was that the deal for Vance? 

Yea, as far as I recall we gave up this years 4th for McDonald.

I like it. If we were to draft Haynes, my guess is he would be viewed by the coaching staff as an inside linebacker. Or possibly the same way they viewed Timmons when we first drafted him, as a tweener.

from Senior bowl practice

Ole Miss edge rusher Marquis Haynes had an interesting first session of the week. While Haynes is undersized, he showed a strong frame at the weigh-in, and he obviously is a dedicated patron of the weight room. That strength translates to the field, as there are plays where Haynes uses some power to get the better of offensive tackles who typically weigh around 70 pounds more than he does. In the run scrimmage one-on-ones, Haynes had an impressive rep where he held his ground and wasn't moved out of his gap by North Carolina A&T offensive tackle Brandon Parker. That was seen on a few other reps in the early going.

However, the offensive linemen seemed to wear Haynes down as they started having success pushing him out of his gap. Humboldt State's Alex Cappa and TCU's Joe Noteboom were able to get a push on Haynes to bull him out of his gap. Texans defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel was giving Haynes some one-on-one pointers, but these plays illustrated that Haynes is a situational pass-rusher for the pros. He has some functional strength in the pass rush, but he can't hold up on an every down basis. His best fit would come as a 3-4 outside linebacker who is a designated pass-rusher. Sources have also said that they have some concerns about Haynes ability to learn, so he could easily be a pick on the last day of the draft, but he does offer a potentially big bang for the buck, as he could be a dangerous quarterback hunter in a situational role.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2018practice2.php#Vl3WgfxH23aGtq1T.99

12 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Not a lot of return on investment there. >:(

More ROI than we ever got from Dobbs, Hawkins, Grant, 'Shark', Ta'amu, or the great Thaddeus Gibson! Maybe equal to Tez...depending, and Martavis is hit or miss, so it's not like we've knocked it out of the park with our 4th Rd picks, anyway.

Tony Hills, Sepulveda (ugh), Colon, Gibson...OK, I need to stop before I get sick... :?

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Already writing these two off? That was mighty quick...

No, I think the jury's still out on these guys.  Though Hawkins only played 48 snaps. (as opposed to Hubbard who played 780 snaps)  Doesn't speak to the Steelers valuing him too much so far. 

Armsteeld, definitely don't hate the mock.  I don't think Haynes is a first round guy, but I do like his pass rush ability.  He's got all those intangibles that Dupree doesn't have.  Like Allen, Peters and Jones. - especially Peters.  Rather see an ILB earlier instead of two Ss.  Wondering if Herndon isn't a lot like McDonald.  

3 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

More ROI than we ever got from Dobbs, Hawkins, Grant, 'Shark', Ta'amu, or the great Thaddeus Gibson! Maybe equal to Tez...depending, and Martavis is hit or miss, so it's not like we've knocked it out of the park with our 4th Rd picks, anyway.

Tony Hills, Sepulveda (ugh), Colon, Gibson...OK, I need to stop before I get sick... :?

Good point. Besides, Vance has the talent but those injuries just keep popping up.

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Good point. Besides, Vance has the talent but those injuries just keep popping up.

Every time I see him on the field I give my friend an estimated number of plays before he is injured. It’s quite terrible of me but he just can’t stay on the field. If he is able to stay relatively healthy he’d easily be worth the 4th rounder. I don’t have a whole lot of faith in that unfortunately.

9 hours ago, Neumatic said:

Every time I see him on the field I give my friend an estimated number of plays before he is injured. It’s quite terrible of me but he just can’t stay on the field. If he is able to stay relatively healthy he’d easily be worth the 4th rounder. I don’t have a whole lot of faith in that unfortunately.

True, but he came up BIG TIME in the playoff game, even though we lost.  I'll take that over any contribution any other 4th Rd pick, outside of Martavis, has given us over the past 2 decades.

Archived