Alvin Kamara vs Leonard Fournette

tyler735

Alvin Kamara vs Leonard Fournette   

52 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better player?

• Alvin Kamara
    • Leonard Fournette

8 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Fournette was battling an ankle and a quad issue for a lot of the year, potentially among other things.  He had games where he looked "fresh" and "healthy" and was an absolute monster...and other games where he looked worn out and completely lacking explosion and power, along with some games where he lost that freshness as the game wore on.  He wasn't nearly as healthy as you'd want him to be this year.  Which sucked.

But...i wouldn't trade him for Kamara.  Not a chance.

There's something special about Fournette's combination of raw physicality and power, with that homerun speed.  And his attitude as a runner.  It's a total focal point of an offense and sets a tone that this Jaguars team relishes in and really needs.  And missed badly when he wasn't available of fully healthy.

I think us Saints fans would be in a near consensus agreement that we would not trade Kamara for Fournette either. Not a chance.

On 1/29/2018 at 2:45 PM, GSUeagles14 said:

we're getting way off, however i already laid this out, if we're specially talking about the nfl vs the sec, and youre saying the nfl is faster. Then yes, youre saying the sec is lacking in fast players opposed to the nfl. And is there proof that nfl defenses are faster than the sec's? obviously theyre much better but faster alone does not mean better.

You serious?

Think of the best DL in the NFL. Aaron Donald, Cameron Jordan, Everson Griffin, etc. Look at their workout numbers. Look at where they came from.

Now apply this with MLB. Shazier, Kuechly, Wagner, etc.

Now do this for OLB. Barr, Telvin Smith, Myles Jack, etc.

Now do this for CB. Lattimore, Ramsey, Rhodes, etc.

The SEC athleticism argument always cracks me up.

1 hour ago, TENINCH said:

I like Kamara. Can he be a 25-30 touches back?

He doesn’t have to be. He can literately do as much with half the touches as many players in the league. Ingram’s not going anywhere...so I fully expect his touches to look much like his usage from week 5 on this year. 

Kamara’s not a small back. I think he could  get the usage of Charles, McCoy, Westbrook, and Faulk. There’s no question that he could be a work-horse back...he can assume all of the responsibilities...the only question is whether he would hold up. I think that he’d but putting numbers eerily similar to Faulk if he was a work-horse. 

If I am NO, I would rather have Kamara because he is absolutely PERFECT for their scheme. 

If I am JAX, I would rather have Fournette because is a much better scheme fit for their power run game.

At this point, this is one of those rare times where you basically have to say "both"

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

He doesn’t have to be. He can literately do as much with half the touches as many players in the league. Ingram’s not going anywhere...so I fully expect his touches to look much like his usage from week 5 on this year. 

Kamara’s not a small back. I think he could  get the usage of Charles, McCoy, Westbrook, and Faulk. There’s no question that he could be a work-horse back...he can assume all of the responsibilities...the only question is whether he would hold up. I think that he’d but putting numbers eerily similar to Faulk if he was a work-horse. 

Yeah. Definitely a Kamara fan. If you dont have to overwork him then dont. Have they said how many touches theyd like him to have each season?

On 2/5/2018 at 3:54 PM, TENINCH said:

Yeah. Definitely a Kamara fan. If you dont have to overwork him then dont. Have they said how many touches theyd like him to have each season?

I would assume it'll be pretty much the same as this year (think he ended with 202?). Assuming he stays healthy for the full year, I think he'll see around 50-60 extra touches though, for a total of 250ish give or take. He'll still be in a full on time split with Ingram.

On 1/29/2018 at 8:32 PM, VanS said:

And here come the excuses. 

Lotta great RBs have played with lousy QBs and o-lines and done better than 3.9 YPC.

Case in point: Adrian Peterson averaged over six yards/carry with Christian Ponder at QB.  Having said that, I would probably take Fournette over Kamara right now, but I have to admit to only seeing each of them play one game this season, and Kamara's game was against the Vikings defense.  I do tend to prefer a bruising power back over the do-it-all types.  Part of that could come from recency bias from watching AD on our team for so many years.  Maybe after a full season watching Dalvin Cook I will change my mind on that opinion.  It's just hard to say at this point because AD was so productive for us.  Ultimately, either Fournette or Kamara would be a great addition to any team's offense.

On 1/29/2018 at 9:32 PM, VanS said:

And here come the excuses. 

Lotta great RBs have played with lousy QBs and o-lines and done better than 3.9 YPC.

yea, lt was one of the least impressive runners ive ever seen. guy averaged 3.9 ypc or under 5 times in his 11 year career.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:41 AM, sammymvpknight said:

That’s the thing about Fournette...it’s really difficult to evaluate him without considering the injuries. It seems like he always has an ankle injury.

It certainly wasn't ideal.  If it continues to be a chronic thing that keeps him on and off the field every year like it did this year, then yeah...absolutely have to worry about that.

But it's not unheard of for rookies to struggle with health a bit.  Especially when they come in with a preexisting issue from the beginning of camp and are then leaned on as workhorses like Fournette.  It's a rough grind for rookies coming in at the best of times.  College season, bowl game, straight into the draft process hopper with nonstop training.  Really not that much time to just relax and heal up and rest before they have to ramp up training to get primed for training camp.

We'll see if it's something that becomes a chronic problem.  I really hope he can get rested and start off camp on the right (non busted ankle) foot, and carry it forward from there.  I'm no doctor, i'm not privy to exactly what's going on there.  But it seems like, and was discussed as a lingering issue that just never had time to fully heal up.  Hopefully that's all it was and he can put it behind him.

Archived