Saquan number 1 pick

cattleman78

10 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

There's also a good chance that if we take Barkely #1 and QB goes #2, Indy's slot at #3 becomes a very hot commodity for teams like the Jets, Broncos, or Bills who may want to jump us for their QB, and we get stuck with who is left. If we have a coin flip ranking for our top 3 QBs, that's fine, but if we have a QB head and shoulders above the others, we need to secure him at #1 (as much as I'd love, love to have Barkley on our team)

1000% agree with this....

The only trade we should be looking at is moving from 1 to 2, convincing the giants that Rosen is in play for us, or for a trade with Denver...get their 2019 2nd and keep it moving.

Then I say we Open for TRUE business at 4...especially if the Colts dont take Barkey.......then there will be a HOST of teams I feel looking for either the best player in the draft, or the remaining QB....I still wouldnt want to move outside of the top 8...unless the offer is insane...like Sony Weaver jr. Insane...AND they better throw in David "Gott'Damn" Putney "Because I FEEL like it!!"...

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Great post.

I mean, I just have literally NEVER seen a QB overcome major inaccuracy issues and be a great to elite QB. NEVER...at least, not once they go from college to the NFL. I've seen Matt Stafford go from Josh Allen as a Freshman/early sophomore to a poised and accurate junior, but I've never seen anyone do it from the college game to the NFL.

Josh Allen is a complete deal-breaker.

Sounds like y'all are talking about Kizer, too.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

They beat us because of Kizer turnovers.

Period.

Yes and our refusal to just keep giving our RBs the ball even if they weren't getting yards. A 6 year old could tell you that trying to beat the best pass defense in the NFL with a limited receiver option and an inaccurate QB in a cold, windy and rainy day probably isn't the best game plan to have.

I think the Jags were passing too often that game even though they ran 44 times to 32 drop backs to pass. Browns were 18 and 37. Bortles only turned it over 1 time to Kizer's 4, that was the biggest difference in the game. They did average 3.2 per carry to our 2.8 so they were more successful running the ball but everyone knew this was going to be a low scoring close game unless turnovers killed one team and we did have 5 and were still in the game. If we would have taken knees and punted the entire game it probably would have been closer than the 12 points we lost by.

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

Actually it is more accurate to say that we beat ourselves, which was all too often the case with the dynamic duo of Hueball and Kizer.

Yeah it was just the worst possible combination. Kizer would have been more successful on a team that relied on a running game and play action passes. Hue would have been more successful with a QB that didn't take bad chances at critical times and one that didn't have accuracy issues. Kizer can't really change who he is though but Hue could have asked less of him.

21 hours ago, bruceb said:

No, we don't.

Do you have information that says Luck is good to go for now and the longer term?

There is a 0% chance that the Colts select a QB with their first round pick. If they drafted a QB with their #3 pick and then Luck came back, they would look really dumb. Plus if Luck doesn't come back next season, they would be a top 5 team again next year and could take one then. They aren't going to take a QB this year. There's a better chance that the Browns draft an OT at #1 overall than the Colts going QB at 3. If they were targeting a signal caller, they wouldn't be taking calls for their pick to trade down, which they are reportedly doing. Plus their roster is riddled with other holes, especially on defense. I mean, of course we don't know for sure what anyone is going to do, but they aren't giving up on Luck's recovery this soon.

Here's the thing:

There's a 60% chance Barkley is still there at pick #4. I think the Colts defense is too putrid and old to avoid getting a dude like Bradley Chubb in there. I personally don't see the Chubb hype, but others have a hard-on for him and seem to think he's an elite prospect. I have a feeling Indy is leaning towards fixing their putrid defense before going with a RB at #3 overall. Plus there is a pretty darn good chance they trade that pick to a team that is looking to take a QB. That would net us with our top pick at QB and Barkley.

The chances of us drafting Barkley at #1 and getting our #1 QB are less likely.

Just take the QB you covet at #1 and pray Barkley slides. If he doesn't, you can live without him and trade down to the team looking to vault Denver/NYJ.

I don't think this class is riddled with superstar runners though. I think there's 1 superstar and then 3-4 good starters. Then a lot of great committee backs. But there is a significant dropoff between Barkley and the #2 back (Guice) in my opinion.

Even if we land Cousins, I'm still not sure I take Barkley at #1. I consider trading that pick and playing the waiting game again for him to be there at 4.

4 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Throwing_up.gif

To the original idea of taking a RB #1 overall in a year with 3-5 legit #1 overall candidate QBs.

I don't know if I'd go as far to say there's 3-5 legit #1 overall QB candidates, but I am not jumping out of my seat to draft a RB #1 overall when we could trade for a mother load of picks instead (if we really don't want a QB, it seems riskier not to roll the dice on the best one at this point).

This is coming from somebody who is pretty much over gaining more draft capital too, it just defies common sense to me.  Whose to say Barkley won't be there at #4 either?  Maybe I have PTSD from Trent Richardson.

6 hours ago, bruceb said:

Sounds like y'all are talking about Kizer, too.

I mean, whats the real difference in the scouting report coming out of college between Brock Osweiler, Paxton Lynch, Deshone Kizer and Josh Allen?

They are all similar prospects that people get enamored with 1) Size 2) Arm Strength 3) Mobility 4) Wow Throws

Guess what, they are all terrible because they suffer from the same things as well. 1) Accuracy 2) Reading Defenses 3) Turnovers

Ive seen this movie before with Osweiler 4 years ago, Lynch 2 years ago and Kizer last year. No chance am I taking Josh Allen in this draft. People want to criticize Mayfield for the Manziel comparisons---where are people at with the Allen/Kizer/Lynch/Osweiler comparisons. Josh Allen to me, honestly, is a later 2nd rounder developmental prospect. 

13 hours ago, mistakey said:

hey remember when i said to everyone that we're gonna get baker mayfield?

i still think its gonna be saquon and baker at 1 and 4

Barkley, Duke, Gordon, Njoku, Coleman and Mayfield in the same offense behind the most expensive offensive line could be reeeeeaaaaaally fun.

Mayfield could really get the best out of Coleman because he operates off of timing routes and RPO to get WRs in space and go. I think with his accuracy and pace he plays at could really unlock Corey and give him some confidence by getting the ball in his hands early and often. Not just on 35 yard bombs.

6 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

I don't know if I'd go as far to say there's 3-5 legit #1 overall QB candidates, but I am not jumping out of my seat to draft a RB #1 overall when we could trade for a mother load of picks instead (if we really don't want a QB, it seems riskier not to roll the dice on the best one at this point).

Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold all seem to fit the bill to me for sure. I think Allen may be in some people’s eyes right now, but I can’t see him going that high.  Three seems like a pretty fair number imo.

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Barkley, Duke, Gordon, Njoku, Coleman and Mayfield in the same offense behind the most expensive offensive line could be reeeeeaaaaaally fun.

Mayfield could really get the best out of Coleman because he operates off of timing routes and RPO to get WRs in space and go. I think with his accuracy and pace he plays at could really unlock Corey and give him some confidence by getting the ball in his hands early and often. Not just on 35 yard bombs.

I’m excited to see Coleman get a chance to play with a vet QB.

I realize he hasn’t looked great this far, but I really feel like he’s a better player than what we’ve seen. WR is a position so dependent on the QB it can be hard to look great if the qb can’t get you the ball.

Archived