4th and 26 revisited

Sasquatch

Been thinking a lot about that play lately for a few reasons.  Maybe because Philly is back in the Super Bowl, but more so because of this:

For the past several years, I almost NEVER held my breath that our defense could stop a 3rd and long of any distance!  More often than not, our opponent would convert on third and long and it happened with great regularity.  Literally, there was no confidence in our defense to make a stand and force a change of possession.

Flashback to January 11th, 2004, late in the 4th quarter and the Packers lead the Eagles 14-17 in the divisional round of the playoffs.  The Eagles drive started with a 22-yard run by Duce Staley, but on the next play, McNabb threw for an incomplete pass. Subsequently, on second down the Eagles were penalized 5 yards for a false start. On the ensuing play, a sack pushed the Eagles back to their own 26 yard line, and on third down McNabb threw another incompletion. The Eagles, faced with a fourth down and 26 yards, needed to convert for a first down, with only 1:12 remaining and no timeouts available. The pass completed to Freddie Mitchell was completed for 28 yards (2 more than was needed for the 1st down).  The Eagles went on to kick a field goal and tie the game, and subsequently went on to win with another field goal in overtime.

Before that final ill-fated play, in spite of the Packers defensive woes at the time, most everyone in the football world watching that game thought it was over - there’s no way the Eagles are going to convert a 24 yard play on 4th down.  They did, and it ultimately lead to the firing of defensive coordinator Ed Donatell, though, probably not due only to that play.

My point, is that for a very long time, there was always an expectation that the Packers defense could make a stop when it was desperately needed.  Those critical “stops” have been in short supply the past few years and I really hope that the Pettine era will usher in a new expectation for us fans.  A more hopeful one - that our defense can be clutch when needed.

Back then, as shocking and devastating as it was, it was considered an absolute fluke play.  Nowadays, it’s almost become standard, and that’s what I’m hoping to see changed.  I want a defense with a killer mentality- where us fans sit back with confidence that Rodgers will be trotting back on the field in a few moments.

So much happened from that one play.

- Donatell was fired as a scapegoat; Lionel Washington didn't get the promotion, so Mike McKenzie got upset and forced a trade.  Mike Sherman's authority would begin to erode after those decisions (and also for not going for it on 4th and 1 with about a minute to go, when Ahman Green was going HAM), and the team was never quite the same after that.

- Favre's bizarre decision-making with the game on the line was a portent for games to come in similar situations (vs. Giants; Vikings vs. Saints).

You know what's really funny about it?  The year before, people had been saying the Packers need a faster linebacker to be better in pass coverage, we drafted Nick Barnett, and Nick Barnett never really made our defense all that much better. 

5 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

You know what's really funny about it?  The year before, people had been saying the Packers need a faster linebacker to be better in pass coverage, we drafted Nick Barnett, and Nick Barnett never really made our defense all that much better. 

A lesson in why you shouldn't name your user account after a player. ;)

Donatell took the blame, but it was Sherman's fault for some weird decisions, even earlier in the game. But he biggest screw up was not going for it on 4th and 1. Philly's D-line was gassed. Sherman had an awesome O-line and Green. Sherman blew it. He's the one who should have ben fired.

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Donatell took the blame, but it was Sherman's fault for some weird decisions, even earlier in the game. But he biggest screw up was not going for it on 4th and 1. Philly's D-line was gassed. Sherman had an awesome O-line and Green. Sherman blew it. He's the one who should have ben fired.

Since Sherman was HC and GM at the time, was probably hard for the Sherman GM to fire the coach GM without leading to some significant internal conflict.  

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Since Sherman was HC and GM at the time, was probably hard for the Sherman GM to fire the coach GM without leading to some significant internal conflict.  

It's quite possible he never would have spoken to himself again.

Eh, I put the 4th&26 to bed. We knocked them out in 2010 on the way to a Super Bowl. It really sucked at the time, but was that team going to win a Super Bowl? I don't think so. Now 2014, Bostick just has to stay the hell out of the way. That play bothers me still. I still don't trust the Packers. That game scarred me, I never trust that we are going to win, no matter how big of a lead we get.

Archived