4th and 26 revisited

Sasquatch

32 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Patriots go the SB in 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2014? Four chances at Brady between Favre and Rodgers, and we went Ofer. 

I'm glad they didn't go in 2007 because I don't think they beat the Pats and thus....they'd forever be a team that went 19-0

Blowing it in 2003 and 2014 still stings though. Those are the 2 teams I really think had a great chance at winning the SB.

4 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

Yeah as others have noted, the real mistake in this game was Sherman not going for it on 4th and 1 to seal the game.

Sherman was spooked because they got stuffed on 4th and goal from the 1-2 yard line earlier in the game. That was after the big Ahman Green run noted by Squire. Tauscher missed the down block on DL Corey Simon who then pushed Riviera into the pulling Wahle and blew up the Power O play. They'd run that play hundreds of times with great success... "Tauscher makes that block at least 90 times out of 100," Larry Beightol said.

That one failure weighed heavily on Captain Queeg, err Sherman... and he froze/choked on the next 4th and 1 opportunity.

He either fears his Fate too much

Or his desserts are small

That dares not put it to the touch

To win or lose it all....

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, Sasquatch said:

Oh snap, I remember that!  From that 4th and 26 play, everything just started slipping away!  I clicked on your link and looked at the roster - my God, that 2003 team was loaded at dang near every position!  Someone posted earlier about Sherman not going for it on 4th and 1.  When you’ve got Wahle, Rivera, Tauscher, Clifton and Flannigan, with Ahmad Green carrying the rock, it seems like a no brainer.

Always thought Sherman should have looked everyone of the Olineman in the eye and say something like" This is the season, time to man up and blow them off of the line" As I recall the Philly D line looked a little ragged at the time too. Instead he p@#&&ied out.

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 9:32 AM, deltarich87 said:

Yeah as others have noted, the real mistake in this game was Sherman not going for it on 4th and 1 to seal the game. They were past midfield and in Eagles territory I believe and a 1st down wins the game. You had probably the best OL in the NFL that season + a RB who ran for over 1800 friggin yards. Sherman was SHOOK though from earlier in the game when they went for it on 4th and goal at the 1 and didn't get the TD(only because Ahman tripped over his own OLineman's foot)

Regarding 4th and 26 though, Sharper played too deep on the play because he wanted to set himself up for the glorious INT and individual praise. Screw him

Mr Shar-pee-a. I agree screw him.

:(

Darren Sharper used to be my favorite player.  Even got a nice reaction from him when I was yelling down at him on the field in Lambeau Field the year he signed with the Vikings.  He remained my favorite player for a long time and I was happy he got that ring with New Orleans.  Good lesson on why you should never like a player too much until after they're retired a while and we can wait to find out if they're subhuman pieces of crap who deserve to rot in prison. 

2 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Sharper is the same jackass who was playing too deep in the endzone on the Terrell Owens TD that knocked us out of the playoffs in '98.  

Ugh, that play!  Sadly, that was TO's coming out party and basically launched his career.  Everyone doubted him - I think even himself - up until that fateful play.  SMH.

On 1/31/2018 at 4:49 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

Sharper is the same jackass who was playing too deep in the endzone on the Terrell Owens TD that knocked us out of the playoffs in '98.  

Isn't this the same game where Jerry Rice fumbled but the refs didn't call it?  If so THAT is what knocked us out of the playoffs and Owens wouldn't have been on the field to catch that TD.

Archived