KC retaining DC Bob Sutton

Broncofan

Weird.. I thought he had retired. I guess someone jumped the gun and I missed the retraction.

I know fans soured on him some, but he has done a good job over the years. The Chiefs have suffered several key injuries this year, though. Maybe they should bring in younger blood to help with game time preparation and in-game adjustments. An unofficial co-DC.

46 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Weird.. I thought he had retired. I guess someone jumped the gun and I missed the retraction.

I know fans soured on him some, but he has done a good job over the years. The Chiefs have suffered several key injuries this year, though. Maybe they should bring in younger blood to help with game time preparation and in-game adjustments. An unofficial co-DC.

It was reported that he retired, then a lot of nothing, then reported he wouldn't be retiring, then ti was reported they were considering firing him, and finally this. Weird situation.

2 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Five years now. Before he became DC our scoring D was ranked 25th. We've since been 5th, 2nd, 3rd, 7th, and 15th.

He isn't perfect but I personally think that the calls for his firing are premature. Getting back Berry will help a lot. Plus I imagine we'll go defense heavy in the upcoming draft.

30 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

Chiefs fans, what would you consider your most glaring needs going in to next season? 

As someone who has not missed a KC game in 5 years now, I'd say that they need to find a real solution to :

LG (Witzman was awful, and not much else to love there)

OLB (Hali needs to retire, Ford should not be retained at 8+ mil, and shouldn't go all in on KPass)

DL (Logan will be UFA, and they need to restock. Chris Jones can't do it all)

RCB (they have some potential warm bodies here, and with Bob Sutton, any added RCB may suck)

ILB (DJ needs to retire, Ragland's maybe maybe not much of an answer, same goes for other warm bodies)

QB2 (Smith likely traded, so Mahomes needs a backup)

TE2 (Kelce is great, but the rest are trash)

WR3 (3rd day need, likely. HIll and Conley are good starters. The rest are bleh)

OT3 (Still don't know what the plan is, if an OT starter gets hurt)

They need to try hard to re-sign C Fulton. Morse regressed. They could go straight BPA on defense. 

With Reid calling the offense, and Sutton calling defense, I'm not optimistic about their chances to be better than .500. Pat Mahomes needs to be special early on. 

8 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

Chiefs fans, what would you consider your most glaring needs going in to next season? 

@oldman9er covered this quite well, honestly, but this would be my rough list, more or less in order:

CB3/RCB: Revis did decently as a stand in, but likely won't be retained. Mitchell has flashed good play but doesn't have anywhere near the consistency you want from a CB. Gaines is absolute trash, as is Acker. Peters is great. Steven Nelson is good in a Chris Harris Jr. type role (plays RCB in base, moves inside in nickel/dime.) But that RCB that subs in for Nelson is just a problem. Has been since Sean Smith left.

ROLB: Hali should retire. If he doesn't, we should not retain him at his current cost. Ford is a very similar story to Mitchell, flashing good play but very inconsistently. That ROLB spot is where Sutton generally puts a pure pass rusher, while the LOLB is more jack of all trades (and Houston does this well.) Kpass MAY take this spot next year, but he's incredibly raw and we still need a better guy to sub in than Zombo if Ford is still hurt or let go. Either way I think Ford is gone by 2019 for sure, so we should be trying to get 2 contributors at the spot in the next two offseasons, so if we go draft there we should soon.

ILB: I think one spot is actually locked down going forward. In games Reggie Ragland played more than 50% of defensive snaps, we allowed 3.36 yards per carry. In games he didn't, we allowed 4.68. Whether or not he's on the field makes a huge difference in our run D, and he quietly played very well towards the end of the season. The other spot is an issue, though. DJ is starting to struggle. KPL is just kind of slightly subpar at everything. I kind of like the prospect of a Reggie Ragland/Ramik Wilson ILB duo, but the coaching staff seems to disagree. 

NT: Maybe just DL, but I think this is where we have the biggest need. We missed Dontari Poe this year. He wasn't disruptive in his late years for us, but he clearly was needed to take up space inside. Logan was supposed to take that role and just failed. Chris Jones is excellent, though he has his lapses, but the rest of the DL is flawed in some way. RNR is disruptive but overruns plays. Bailey is just mediocre. Need at least one more impact player there, preferably someone good in run D.

Those would be my main priorities, personally. The below would be nice, but definitely secondary.

TE2: Demetrius Harris is a failed experiment. At this point I'd rather have a good run blocker with solid hands than the athlete who hasn't developed that we have now.

Backup QB: Smith likely leaves. Bray is another failed project at this point, I think. Would be nice to get a vet in free agency here to hold a clipboard and talk to Mahomes.

Interior OL: I hope we retain Fulton for depth. He's valuable as a swing guy. If he walks we need something here. Morse and LDT are solid, though they had some rough patches around their respective injuries. Witzmann wasn't good. Still think Ehinger should've started over him, but again, coaches disagreed there.

CB4: Just to push Gaines all the way off the roster for sure.

KR: First time we've struggled there in ages. Hill is a great punt returner. DAT is a solid one. But neither have the mentality to do as well at kickoffs, and we try to keep Hill off of them anyway. Akeem Hunt was meh.

We could go all defense this offseason and I wouldn't complain. Move on from Smith, Hali, Revis, and maybe DJ/Ford, and we have somewhere between $20M and $40M and cap space. Grab one or two impact guys in free agency on D, a backup QB, and spend the whole draft on defense, and I'd be content. Our flaws on offense (middling to weak depth at WR and TE, and a meh interior OL) are very maskable through scheme and the talent of our top guys on O. Our holes on defense, though, are far too exploitable, especially by playoff caliber teams.

13 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

It was reported that he retired, then a lot of nothing, then reported he wouldn't be retiring, then ti was reported they were considering firing him, and finally this. Weird situation.

I don't think they were ever considering firing him. It was reported by basically any KC football coverage that he SHOULD be fired. I don't think there was ever any legitimate rumor that he was actually going to be fired. Just hope.

8 hours ago, oldman9er said:

As someone who has not missed a KC game in 5 years now, I'd say that they need to find a real solution to :

LG (Witzman was awful, and not much else to love there)

OLB (Hali needs to retire, Ford should not be retained at 8+ mil, and shouldn't go all in on KPass)

DL (Logan will be UFA, and they need to restock. Chris Jones can't do it all)

RCB (they have some potential warm bodies here, and with Bob Sutton, any added RCB may suck)

ILB (DJ needs to retire, Ragland's maybe maybe not much of an answer, same goes for other warm bodies)

QB2 (Smith likely traded, so Mahomes needs a backup)

TE2 (Kelce is great, but the rest are trash)

WR3 (3rd day need, likely. HIll and Conley are good starters. The rest are bleh)

OT3 (Still don't know what the plan is, if an OT starter gets hurt)

They need to try hard to re-sign C Fulton. Morse regressed. They could go straight BPA on defense. 

With Reid calling the offense, and Sutton calling defense, I'm not optimistic about their chances to be better than .500. Pat Mahomes needs to be special early on. 

Just two little disagreements here. Nothing major, as you mostly hit it.

I'm actually content with Wilson at WR3. And with Robinson and Chesson at #4 and #5, honestly. Wilson clearly had a very solid connection with Mahomes in that last game. He has a useful skill set, too. The drops are a problem, but you can't get too picky at that point in the depth chart. If we retain him, I'm fine with our full roster there.

Also, I don't think Morse regressed, I think he just never got fully healthy. He played great in week 1, then got hurt. Missed a handful of games. Played like trash for a handful of games. Then reaggravated the same injury and got put on IR. I think he was never 100%, and was playing through a foot injury as a linemen. I do want to resign Fulton, he's exactly what you want as a backup linemen, but I'm not concerned about Morse long term.

5 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Just two little disagreements here. Nothing major, as you mostly hit it.

I'm actually content with Wilson at WR3. And with Robinson and Chesson at #4 and #5, honestly. Wilson clearly had a very solid connection with Mahomes in that last game. He has a useful skill set, too. The drops are a problem, but you can't get too picky at that point in the depth chart. If we retain him, I'm fine with our full roster there.

Also, I don't think Morse regressed, I think he just never got fully healthy. He played great in week 1, then got hurt. Missed a handful of games. Played like trash for a handful of games. Then reaggravated the same injury and got put on IR. I think he was never 100%, and was playing through a foot injury as a linemen. I do want to resign Fulton, he's exactly what you want as a backup linemen, but I'm not concerned about Morse long term.

Umm...you forgot someone...

12 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

Umm...you forgot someone...

I like him and he could turn out to be a special teams contributor and low depth chart guy eventually, but it's really pretty early to include Marcus Kemp in any conversation about the WR depth chart.

Archived