TCMD Discussion!!

EaglesPeteC

8 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Unless I am misunderstanding Mike's table, you gave Trumaine $14 million PER YEAR in signing bonuses over 5 years. That means you have no way of getting out of the contract until after the 4th year. You offered Breeland $6 million PER YEAR in signing bonuses over his contract. That also gives you no out until after the second-to-last year of the deal. Your APY on Breeland is fine. It's the horrific signing bonuses that make these terrible deals.

(Yes, I am aware that signing bonuses are paid upfront and prorate)

The Bucs current staff might be gone after the year, but you are stuck with both CBs no matter what. Those are the sort of contracts that land teams in cap hell. Having tons of cap room gives you the flexibility to eat a lot of money this year. Instead, you are screwing your future cap flexibility with those contracts.

Although it's not official in this, I'm playing as if I was signed as the GM and have already fired the current coaching staff.
Other point though, yeah it's locked in for the long term -- no outs. Given the assumption the GM deal is multi-year and new staff is multi year these are the corners to lock down those positions for the duration of the coaching staff and GM's first contracts. Not giving up on them. Bonuses are to lock in the centerpieces of the free agency without offering crazy balloons down the line to meet player APYs. I don't want Johnson or Breeland for 1-3 years. I want them for 4 or 5 years.

Real life with hot seat staff, I 100% agree on bonuses and pay and all of that though.

2 hours ago, NickChowaniec said:

I would want to do the trade in this if I were KC... you're probably getting a 1st now.

Makes the draft more enjoyable for you. 

I would rather have Peters than a 1st.  Guys not even half as good are getting paid 9 Mil in FA 

I'm watching Breaking Ground: A Story of HBCU Football and the NFL right now. It's pretty interesting, exploring the links between historically black schools and the NFL. Features Marquette King of the Raiders, who is saying some intriguing things about making it as a pro punter and how black athletes view finding their role in sports.

Archived