TCMD Discussion!!

EaglesPeteC

8 minutes ago, davidderion said:

1.) Foles was signed to be a backup and made like $1.5m last season

2.) Mike Glennon was signed on to be a potential starter for the Bears hence the bigger contract

1) doesn't decrease the role of a backup

2) not really, everyone knew there was still a chance they would go QB. Either way, it's still an example of a backup QB making a ton of money

Tell me if Keenum signs for less than 3 years 30 mil.
Jameis has throwing shoulder issues, a lawsuit coming up for harassment, and general immaturity that hasn't developed his high potential yet.

Fitzpatrick wasn't competition that made Winston better, and Fitzpatrick is a pretty damned good backup. Maybe Keenum actually pushes Jameis, and if he does we trade Keenum in a year and extend Jameis, if he doesn't then we move on with Keenum on a Alex Smith in KC like contract and could roll with him long term or make a move like KC did and flip him for value after developing a rookie.

Jameis' shoulder was messed up for like half the year. I don't want to Indianapolis it if he gets hurt, and don't want to have no QB solution if he doesn't cut down on turnovers. Rebuilt defense should be competitive, and Keenum has proven with a defense he can make the playoffs with efficient QB play. I want that and didn't overpay, imo.

Buffalo offered similar APY but two years. I would think that would be the better signing in reality, but I can't control that my offer was for a third year over theirs. Maybe there could be a pathway to playtime scale or something that would influence signing, but why wouldn't Buffalo still draft a Josh Allen type (we all know one is falling hard, last year NYG I think ended up with Trubisky in the 20s or something crazy) and still effect Keenum's path to starting? He could win the job here (Keenum was super efficient, where Winston was one of the least efficient but high upside), or Winston could get suspended (Uber driver), or Winston could get hurt as he did last year (throwing shoulder). 

I would be open to trading Winston for a first. If the Bills want him, they can. So could the Browns or Jets or whoever Keenum currently could start for that wanted him for less that I valued him as a backup and could need a QB (but they have the top two picks so I'm assuming they have a plan). I'm also fine with letting the Bills have Keenum if they believe Keenum is signing with the Bills for 2year 20mil in real life and they want to be as accurate to real life as they can as long as Mike is open to it and they make a hell of an argument as to why 2year/20mil is realistic starting money for a guy that put up a 3:1 TD to INT ratio 3500 yards and 98 QB rating and a deep playoff run. I think they should have pulled the trigger sooner though or offered starter money, as Tyrod and Fitzpatrick both got more than 10mil a year for the Bills (scaling Fitzpatricks 6y/59mil to inflation a bit here; Tyrod is 2 year 30mil) and Keenum was an MVP candidate that got a game away from the SB. I'm not trying to ruin the mock experience for anyone, and I don't see how insuring against Winston's obvious downsides is an issue when the insurance is a career backup that put up a magic year (how would Keenum signing be more frightening than Fitzmagic, unless Keenum won the job -- which then I got a 3 year starter for below market and an upgrade?). I couldn't flip Winston for even Tannehill, or the Browns LG and a guy many Browns fans aren't sure is worth his 5th year option (Browns could have replaced Bitonio with Nelson and maintained an elite OL instead of a QB -- which Winston would have filled the need). If we are grading each other and you guys had this team and saw how teams valued Winston, would you not consider adding competition? I want to field a competitive team, and the Saints, Panthers and Falcons are all making good moves. I had the worst roster of the group to start and I want to make a playoff push -- I think this helps.

Iupati (~8mil), Murray (~7mil) and Jimmie Ward (~8mil) leave next year unless they show they deserve roster spots in 2019, I think they contribute in 2018 though which is why I ate their salaries to acquire them. Wilkerson or McCoy might not play up to standard and then Gholston plays 5tech and McCoy or Wilkerson at 3 tech saving 12-17 mil depending on which under performs, and if they both ball -- great (Spence could also replace Quinn 2019 for ~10mil savings if he develops or Quinn regresses). I think the Buccs would love to not have DL issues. Winston and Keenum battle for the starting job this year, hopefully Winston wins and gets a megacontract -- then Keenum is traded after being an elite backup for the year Winston had a lot of questions to answer -- if not we get to trade Winston for the peanuts the other GMs apparently value him as (minus Colts, I liked our deal a lot).

I have something like for starting positional rooms (Chargers listed second for comparison, Lions third, Giants fourth, Jaguars fifth):
QB Room: 18mil || 22mil || 27mil || 23mil || 9mil (top 2 QBs)
RB Room: 7mil || 5mil || 6mil || 2mil  || 8mil (top 2 RBs)
WR Room: 14mil || 20mil || 20mil || 10mil || 33mil (top 3 WR)
TE Room: 6mil || 2mil || 9mil || 6mil  || 2mil (top 2 WR)
OL: Room 16mil || 25mil || 28mil || 18mil || 19mil (LT LG C RG RT)
DL Room: 55mil || 36mil || 20mil || 45mil || 41mil (4 players, includes 1 edge if 3-4)
LB Room: 10mil || 2mil || 8mil || 6mil || 30mil (top three)
CB Room: 25mil || 14mil || 8mil || 14mil || 23mil (top 3)
S Room: 10mil || 14mil || 7mil || 3mil || 9mil (top 2)

I don't think my teams distribution of cap space by position group looks that far out of whack compared to what others have done. I spent on DL and CB, everything else is cheap or rental (minus Evans extension). Winston or Keenum is great for my view of the future, and either should be worth something draft capital wise next year if no one offers something good this year for Winston.

I thought Keenam would last another round just because of the poker game being played. I thought Bradford would go this round which would then increase my chances of trading Tannehill but fair play.

Regarding Winston I think if this were to happen irl he would lose the QB battle.

I think it's just frustrating for people to see Keenum end up on a team where he has very little chance of starting–it's just not a scenario or team I see him or his agent even considering. 

I don't care that I didn't get him. I'd love to have him, sure, but I waited this long for a reason and knew the risks. I am a little frustrated about missing on him because I didn't offer a 3rd year, but again, I knew it was a factor/risk. 

Just now, DTMW78 said:

I was gonna bid on him this last round and totally forgot.

Glad I did, such a waste of talent.

someone picked him up already in the first or second round.

But yes he's a waste of talent...sad that so many choose this path when their talents could take them a completely different direction.

Whats the old saying, you can take the woman out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the woman...haha.

2 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

someone picked him up already in the first or second round.

But yes he's a waste of talent...sad that so many choose this path when their talents could take them a completely different direction.

Whats the old saying, you can take the woman out of the trailer park but you can't take the trailer park out of the woman...haha.

Didn't realize he had already been signed.

Just hope Foster doesn't end up being another Smith.

Really hope the 9ers can help him get back on track.

25 minutes ago, DTMW78 said:

Didn't realize he had already been signed.

Just hope Foster doesn't end up being another Smith.

Really hope the 9ers can help him get back on track.

I signed him for the vet min a few rounds ago.  Figured if he were to get back he would be a cheap decent option as a DE.  

Such a sad waste of talent by a guy who obviously has some major issues.

@ny92jefferis Are rookies going to count towards the 2019 cap space?  I didn't see the rookie wage scale already taken out of the cap space for 2019, which means that a significant number of teams are going to be over the cap for 2019 when rookies are added in.  Just glancing at the sheet I noticed that the Lions, Jags, Giants, Eagles, and maybe one or two others would currently be over the cap or extremely close.  Personally, I believe that they should count towards the 2019 cap since they will be added to the roster.

4 minutes ago, winitall said:

@ny92jefferis Are rookies going to count towards the 2019 cap space?  I didn't see the rookie wage scale already taken out of the cap space for 2019, which means that a significant number of teams are going to be over the cap for 2019 when rookies are added in.  Just glancing at the sheet I noticed that the Lions, Jags, Giants, Eagles, and maybe one or two others would currently be over the cap or extremely close.  Personally, I believe that they should count towards the 2019 cap since they will be added to the roster.

From my understanding he is not adding them to the 2019 roster

12 minutes ago, winitall said:

Nope...rookies will count toward 2018 only.

11 hours ago, ny92jefferis said:

The NFL has a rule which docks teams draft picks for players getting in to trouble. 

So what sort of harsh, arbitrary Goodell draft penalty should we give the Raiders for signing Smith before he became cheap enough for the Bengals ;-)

Archived