Duck's Mock Draft 5.0

Da_Ducktator

Pre-Super Bowl/Mid-Senior Bowl week edition. I had been excluding Sam Darnold from my Mocks so his presence certainly shakes things up. There is obviously a number of big name free agents this year and going to be a lot of quarterback movement that will likely shake this stuff out. For now that only thing I'm projecting is Kirk Cousins signs with the Denver Broncos (I believe it will ultimately come down to the Redskins, Broncos, and Dolphins). Where Alex Smith, Tyrod Taylor, and likely A.J. McCarron land (assuming Brees and Jimmy G stay put) could alter things.

1. Cleveland Browns - QB Josh Allen, Wyoming

• The word is the Browns love Josh Allen and I am buying it for the time being. I would not be surprised if the Browns feel good about taking Chubb, Nelson, or Barkley at one and move down from four (say with the Jets) and take Allen there. For now though, I still believe Allen winds up with the Browns one way or another.

2. New York Giants - QB Josh Rosen, UCLA

• Rosen in New York as Eli Manning's heir apparent makes too much sense. Getting a chance to sit to at least start his rookie season like Eli did would be huge as well.

3. Indianapolis Colts - RB Saquon Barkley, Penn State

• If Andrew Luck is truly coming back (I'm a little worried about this), they need to give him the best offensive talent he has ever been paired with (sorry T.Y. Hilton). 

4. Cleveland Browns (from Houston) - CB Josh Jackson, Iowa

• If they go more of need here than value, Jackson stands out as an option. Minkah Fitzpatrick would not really have a role in this defense as of now. The Browns, with all their offensive struggles, quietly were really bad at creating turnovers. Jackson has a great knack for that.

5. Denver Broncos - OG Quenton Nelson, Notre Dame

• If the Broncos do throw big money at Kirk Cousins and land him, they need to improve the protection on this team. Nelson is an elite prospect who will slide right in and instantly make that line better.

6. New York Jets - QB Sam Darnold, USC

• Josh McCown may ultimately come back, but that's a band-aid over a gashing wound. Darnold has special talent and could reach his incredible ceiling sitting behind a veteran like McCown.

7. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - DE Bradley Chubb, North Carolina State

• The Bucs are arguably sitting in the best spot. They have big needs in the trenches and because of the possibility that all of the top 5 QB prospects go ahead of them (I have just three of them off the board here), they could be in a prime spot to land Chubb or Nelson without having to move. 

8. Chicago Bears - WR Calvin Ridley, Alabama

• Copy and paste from 99% of mocks out there. Desperate need for the Bears might lead to a bit of a reach here.

9. San Francisco 49ers - S Minkah Fitzpatrick, Alabama

• A pure corner is a bigger need but Fitzpatrick is a great prospect who would add to a talented defense. He is experienced covering slot guys but really shines when he can attack like division rival Tyrann Mathieu does.

10. Oakland Raiders - LB Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech

• NaVorro Bowman was solid once they acquired him but is not certain to be back. Even if Bowman does come back, they still have a big need at linebacker. Securing a freak linebacker prospect in Edmunds who won't turn 20 until after the day would be a big get.

11. Miami Dolphins - OT Orlando Brown, Oklahoma

• The Dolphins are going to let Ja'Waun James go and need a RT to replace him. Dolphins value college production and Brown was superb for a playoff team this season.

12. Cincinnati Bengals - OT Brian O'Neill, Pittsburgh

• Bengals desperately need offensive line help and O'Neill has experience on both sides of the line with massive upside that has stood out at the Senior Bowl this week.

13. Washington Redskins - QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

• If Cousins walks and Mayfield falls, no-brainer to take this chance.

14. Green Bay Packers - SS/LB Derwin James, Florida State

• The Packers have valued strong athletes with their picks and not many will match up with Derwin as an athlete. Morgan Burnett is likely gone so James' could fill in that hybird role.

15. Arizona Cardinals - OT Connor Williams, Texas

• Carson Palmer is gone and the new QB (Tyrod? Alex Smith?) is going to need to be protected, something the Cards have struggled with.

16. Baltimore Ravens - DT Da'Ron Payne, Alabama

• Ozzie loves his Alabama guys and Payne put on a shower in the playoffs. His testing should match the freakish play displayed in the last two games and he likely will not even be on the board here.

17. Los Angeles Chargers - DT Vita Vea, Washington

• Another supreme talent pushed down the board by QB needs. Vea is an absolute freak inside a 340 lbs. body.

18. Seattle Seahawks - S Ronnie Harrison, Alabama

• The Seahawks are going to have to pick their poison in terms of what they want to shore up on defense after the impending losses. A good start would be add a safety with big-time talent like Harrison as both Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas are incredibly likely done in Seattle.

19. Dallas Cowboys - DT Taven Bryan, Florida

• The Cowboys need some talent on the interior of the defensive line and Taven Bryan has a high ceiling with the special kind of burst and explosive ability that Rod Marinelli looks for.

20. Detroit Lions - RB Derrius Guice, LSU

• The Lions are over Ameer Abdullah and seem to want a guy that can pound it between the tackles, hence the trails they have given Tion Green, Zach Zenner, and Dwayne Washington. Guice fits the mold.

21. Buffalo Bills - LB Roquan Smith, Georgia

• The Bills need defensive help in the front seven and Roquan could be a nice addition as a chase-and-tackle backer.

22. Buffalo Bills (from Kansas City) - EDGE Marcus Davenport, UTSA

• The defensive line is the major issue for the Bills though which is why adding an athletic freak like Davenport in a fairly weak EDGE class (in terms of top tier talent) makes sense at 22.

23. Los Angeles Rams - LB Rashaan Evans, Alabama

• Rams were terrible at linebacker this past year, getting shredded at points by tight ends. Evans is a versatile 'backer who could add a lot of versatility to the team.

24. Carolina Panthers - WR Courtland Sutton, SMU

• More weapons for Cam Newton is necessary and Sutton has the freakish raw talent to be a quality player.

25. Tennessee Titans - EDGE Sam Hubbard, Ohio State

• The Titans need to bolster its pass rush and following the hiring of Mike Vrabel by adding an Ohio State pass rusher in Hubbard seems fitting.

26. Atlanta Falcons - CB Denzel Ward, Ohio State

27. New Orleans Saints - LB Leighton Vander Esch, Boise State

• I like Vander Esch, but still am unsure if he will end up in the 1st round. It mainly will rely on his testing, seeing as he displays all the tools of a good next level linebacker, but doesn't have a ton of experience and has some flaws in his game, specifically that he has rarely played man coverage.

28. Pittsburgh Steelers - QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville

• Black & Yellow needs a quarterback of the future for whenever Big Ben decides to hang it up. Lamar and Le'Veon Bell backfield would be a lot of fun.

29. Jacksonville Jaguars - TE Mark Andrews, Oklahoma

• Bortles put up his best performance of the year when it mattered most. That defense is as elite as they come so they just need to keep adding talent. The more talent around Bortles, the better he'll look.

30. Minnesota Vikings - OG Will Hernandez, UTEP

• Hernandez is arguably the best player at the Senior Bowl, but positional value will likely keep him out of the top 20. He reminds me a lot of Trai Turner with his huge frame and ability to just dominate opponents.

31. Philadelphia Eagles - OT Mike McGlinchey, Notre Dame

• Shifting Lane Johnson to LT may be a situation of "if it's not broke, don't fix it," but Johnson possesses the tools of an elite tackle and Jason Peters is likely done. McGlinchey would slide in nicely at RT if Lane gets shifted over.

32. New England Patriots - EDGE Arden Key, LSU

• Key has his off-field concerns but flashes special ability on the field and the Pats need front seven help.

Roquan Smith or Rashaan Evans for the Lions for me. Detroit is implementing more of the NE style system. Pats haven't drafted a RB in the 1st since Laurence Maroney. They've only drafted 3 RB's in the last 7 years - 2 in the 2nd and 1 in the 4th. Highly doubt they grab a RB here and address the defense. Especially with Patricia coming in and likely looking to play more 3-4.

Such a lazy Bears pick. I feel like no one cares to do any research and just goes with the status quo, just because. 

The past two offseasons when he Bears have had equally as pressing needs as WR at ILB and QB, respectively, he has addressed it very aggressively in FA. 

In 2015, when they were starting two UDFA's at ILB, Pace signed Danny Trevathan and Jerrell Freeman in the offseason. In 2016, when they cut Jay Cutler and had nothing at QB, he signed Mike Glennon to an $18m a year contract. Every single sign points to him signing several guys at WR in FA making it not a "desperate" need. 

Not only that, look at all 3 of his top 10 picks as GM. First was a 6'3" 220 lb WR running low 4.3s, then it's a 6'6" edge rusher with a 40" vertical jump, then you have a supremely underrated athlete at QB. He likes the HWS elite athletes in the top 10, that is not Calvin Ridley. 

12 hours ago, BrownsDog23 said:

Allen at 1 = F -- for the Browns

It's a mock draft, not my personal beliefs of what they should do. Allen doesn't even have a 1st round grade for me. But if you're a Browns fan, you better start being ready for the highly realistic possibility that Josh Allen plays for the Cleveland Browns next year...

27 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

We also have major needs on the defense. Roquan Smith AND Rashaan Evans are both available. Pretty sure we could find a solid RB in the next 3 rounds.

24 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Roquan Smith or Rashaan Evans for the Lions for me. Detroit is implementing more of the NE style system. Pats haven't drafted a RB in the 1st since Laurence Maroney. They've only drafted 3 RB's in the last 7 years - 2 in the 2nd and 1 in the 4th. Highly doubt they grab a RB here and address the defense. Especially with Patricia coming in and likely looking to play more 3-4.

Maybe so, but we will see. The Patriots also know the importance of a balanced offense and despite the love for Brady and the passing game, this team ranked 11th in the league in attempts and 10th in yardage this year and while Dion Lewis was the main guy, they took James White in the 4th, paid more money to Rex Burkhead than any RB they had since Fred Taylor, and also went after Mike Gillislee this past off-season. The Pats always try to remain balanced and adding a guy like Guice could instantly create a more balanced Lions attack.

1 minute ago, Da_Ducktator said:

It's a mock draft, not my personal beliefs. Allen doesn't even have a 1st round grade for me. But if you're a Browns fan, you better start being ready for the highly realistic possibility that Josh Allen plays for the Cleveland Browns next year...

Maybe so, but we will see. The Patriots also know the importance of a balance offense and despite the love for Brady and the passing game, this team ranked 11th in the league in attempts and 10th in yardage this year and while Dion Lewis was the main guy, they took James White in the 4th, paid more money to Rex Burkhead than any RB they had since Fred Taylor, and also went after Mike Gillislee this past off-season. The Pats have also understood the importance of having a balanced offense and adding a guy like Guice could instantly create a more balanced Lions attack.

James White was taken in the 4th; Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead and Gillislee are all guys that were brought in through FA. They do value the RB position and understand balance. They just also don't tend to spend a lot of draft capital (especially a 1st) on them.

2 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

James White was taken in the 4th; Dion Lewis, Rex Burkhead and Gillislee are all guys that were brought in through FA. They do value the RB position and understand balance. They just also don't tend to spend a lot of draft capital (especially a 1st) on them.

They also haven't been staring at absolute freaks like Derius Guice with their top pick often, if ever in the past five years. 

Archived