Cardinals hire Mike McCoy as OC

TheKillerNacho

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000910830/article/cardinals-to-hire-mike-mccoy-as-offensive-coordinator

His career seemed to be in a downward swing after being fired by the Broncos mid-season, but Wilks brought him in. He really didn't have anything to work with in Denver.... The bad news is, with Palmer retiring, there really isn't any worthwhile QB in Arizona, either.

30 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000910830/article/cardinals-to-hire-mike-mccoy-as-offensive-coordinator

His career seemed to be in a downward swing after being fired by the Broncos mid-season, but Wilks. But he really didn't have anything to work with in Denver. The bad news is, with Palmer retiring, there really isn't any worthwhile QB in Arizona, either.

It's probably beneficial to bring in a guy like McCoy now, when you'll be ushering in a new, young QB. Let him work with the young guy early and rely on David Johnson to shoulder the offensive burden.

When he was first hired I was very meh on this. But its starting to grow on me. Our two most promising young pieces on our offense right now are David Johnson and Ricky Seals-Jones. What two positions does McCoy tend to utilize? Running back and tight end. McCoy will want to center the offense around DJ, and given that he's a consensus top 5 running back that's probably a good plan. We don't need the gunslinger we needed with BA, a Sam Bradford/Alex Smith type should suffice. So is this the home run DeFilippo hire we were hoping for? No, but I'm not upset about it either

McCoy was the fall guy in DEN.  I don’t know if he was an asset but he wasn’t really the problem there either.  

As a HC he sucked at game management. As an OC the one legit knock is that his O were successful only when he had a similar peer or QB who was an adept mind (Whiz as OC the 2 good SD years on O and Peyton as QB).   His scheme was noted to be incredibly complex according to players last year (then again we had rookies who didn’t realize the clock still runs when you get tackled inbounds on Week 15 so take that observation with a grain of salt).   

Given the QB will be new and Fitz is the only WR under contract (besides rookies from last year) this job is a make or break for him.   DEN it wasn’t on him alone but 2 failed destinations becomes harder to explain away.  

Archived