Positional Analysis: OL

WindyCity

Positional Analysis: OL

Sure Things

C Cody Whitehair

Athletically he is a perfect fit for the new offense and after sorting out the snap issues from early 2017 I think he is primed to be a building block in the new offense. I think the QB-C connection is super important and the more time guys spend together the better. Trubisky will start to trust Whitehair to make the line calls and set the protection.

LT Charles Leno

He got paid, he had his best year, and he is durable as hell. I do not think you mess with that. Leno needs a legit backup, because there are 0 people on the team that can step in at LT.

Question Marks

OG Kyle Long

The health is a mess. I am just hoping we get him back at some what of a high level.

OG Josh Sitton

Age and money might put him at risk and he can be upgraded over if you spend big [Norwell] or draft high [Nelson], but personally I keep Sitton and try and develop some young guys to replace him because you will have to pay Whitehair soon.

OT Bobbie Massie

I would not cut Massie under any circumstance. Massie at a minimum is an experienced backup in a league where OLmen get injured all the time. Massie needs someone at a minimum to come in and threaten his job. 4th round minimum for adding an OT because free agency sucks.

OG Eric Kush

That is a brutal injury for a very versatile backup who showed out in 2016. The Bears need him healthy.

OG Jordan Morgan

Who honestly knows. They need him to take a step and at least be the backup this season so he can replace Sitton in 2019.

Free Agents

OT Bradley Sowell

He was bad.

OT Tom Compton

He was not as bad, but still bad.

Cuts

C Hronsis Grasu

There is nothing to work with here. He is terrible and if he had to play I would legit be concerned for 10s health.

Personnel Preferences [Nagy/Reid or Fangio]

-Reid has always invested a lot in the OT position.

-The Chiefs and Eagles both have used super athletic Cs in the run game and the screen game.

-In Kansas City they have done a number of tall OT-OG conversions, which Pace did a lot of in New Orleans.
Duvernay-Tardif [6'5"]
Witzman [6'7"]
Jordan Devey [6'6"]
Parker Ehinger [6'6"]

-Athletic ability seems important because of the screen game and shotgun zone run.

Personnel Thoughts

-The Bears need a legit OT to compete with Massie, hopefully replace him, and backup the LT spot.

-I would keep Sitton and try and develop someone cheap behind him for the season.

-I think the Bears need a legit backup OG to protect against Long and Kush not coming back strong from the offseason surgeries.

Nice breakdown! I'm not sure Grasu is a goner... we have to remember he played well enough under Helfrich to be drafted high in round 3.

I don't necessarily care about the moves we make, BUT I do want the line we trot out in 2018 to be together for the foreseeable future... that means Sitton's got to go, maybe Massie as well.

11 minutes ago, G08 said:

Nice breakdown! I'm not sure Grasu is a goner... we have to remember he played well enough under Helfrich to be drafted high in round 3.

I don't necessarily care about the moves we make, BUT I do want the line we trot out in 2018 to be together for the foreseeable future... that means Sitton's got to go, maybe Massie as well.

There is no way to replace them unless we pick some guys high or spend big at OG.

As with other positions. we need to add one or two better starters and then we can decide if it's cap-wise to keep the former starters and move them to experienced backups.

Slightly less value for being experienced in the offense as we will have a new offense next season.

Long has too many question marks. Massie is a weak starter. Too many positions on the Oline where if the starter goes down we have a former warehouse clerk protecting Trubisky.

Oline upgrades not only provide direct protection for Trubisky in pass blocking, but in helping the run game force teams to focus on stopping the run (see Zeke of Dak of Dallas 2016). With better protection and a better run game, the WR benefit too. With an offense that can sustain drives better, the defense benefits too.

Grasu? If he's still on the roster next season it will be only wearing a number in the 80's as he's switched to TE where we keep him for being a good receiver with minimal blocking ability.

The way I see it is that Long and Kush are no sure bets to be healthy in 2018, especially Long who has still yet to undergo shoulder surgery which will make him a huge question mark for the start of the regular season.

Sitton is older now and may not be a great fit in this offense.  So for the Guard position that leaves an unknown in Jordan Morgan and Hroniss Grasu.  Not too reassuring.  I would make signing OG/C Zach Fulton of the Chiefs a prioirty as he knows Nagy well and would provide good dpeth.

As for tackle, I agree that they should hold onto Massie and that they have no good option behind him and Leno, so I believe they will have to invest a high pick there in this year's draft, either a 1st or 2nd.  Connor Williams in round 1 or Tyrell Crosby in round 2 may be good options there.

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

I think a good move may be Justin Pugh if he hits FA because he can play both OG and RT at a starter level. That versatility would allow us to not have to force a pick at either position. 

I wonder why the Giants seem to be gearing up for a serious run at Norwell and not trying to keep him.

I like the idea of getting younger and more athletic than Sitton. Pugh would cost about the same and give us someone we can count on for 3-4 years.

That way we can get Morgan ready for If Long doesn’t bounce back.

On 1/26/2018 at 4:24 PM, AZBearsFan said:

I think a good move may be Justin Pugh if he hits FA because he can play both OG and RT at a starter level. That versatility would allow us to not have to force a pick at either position. 

Haven't watched much of him but he graded out worse than Massie last season, FWIW.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Haven't watched much of him but he graded out worse than Massie last season, FWIW.

Yea I saw that too after suggesting him. That PFF grain of salt should apply both ways. Haven’t watched any video nor looked for any info in the Giants forum on him. 

Archived