Bills C Eric Wood suffers career ending neck injury

.Buzz

4 minutes ago, NickChowaniec said:

This is huge. :( He's the Kyle Williams of our offense.

Such a stand-up, kind and thoughtful person as well. Class all around.

Hope it's not serious to the point it affects his life off the field.

Wasn’t as good as Kyle was but as a leader yes.

Glad he got a chance to play in the playoffs, and I really hope this doesn’t change his life off the field.

The telling part is that it wasn't one specific play...."wear and tear" related.   Lot of different possibilities still in play, but sure sounds like the issue is no one wants to risk a Shazier-like event.  Can't blame anyone if that's the case, the onus to get cleared to play again is likely going to be a lot higher with neck conditions.  

Wood’s statement sheds a little more light: 

Good thing is he’s likely ok given it was found on a season-ending routine physical but post-Shazier I suspect we will see more cases like this in the future.  No team wants to see that type of situation re-occur so the risk they are willing to assume is likely a lot less now.  

Heck of a guy. Great leader, good player... It sucks but I'm glad his health is being put first.

And I know it sucks that we have had to find out the way but I'm sorta glad we will be able to see what Ryan Groy can do. I assume he will be the new starting Center next year. He was awesome when Wood was out the entire season. And he fits what Daboll wants to do.

His impact off the field has been immense and I can imagine the Bills wanting to keep him around in some form of role

On the field I don't actually think it's a huge impact, and certainly don't see a major draft need. Groy has been very good when he has played and I don't see much of performance drop from Wood. It increases the chances we draft a Guard as we are thinner at interior O line, but that was already a need with Incognito getting older

Archived