Rich7sena's Official Mock Offseason *FINAL DRAFT* - 3/11/18

Rich7sena

Really want to see an upgrade at the slot position, unless you see Cooper playing there more often, then we’d need an upgrade on the outside. Like everything else though. Also I’d like to see a young MLB brought in to learn from Bowman. Wouldn’t mind seeing more competition at Saftey either. 

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

I also think we will be active in FA, but I doubt we will sign all these big name players.

Shead will want to be a starter if he leaves, AH will be the hottest LB IMO, while PR will be a primary re-sign for Sea IMO...but hey I will be glad if we get them all :)

Outside of Bennett — who is on the wrong side of 30 — I wouldn’t consider them “big names”. They’re known guys, but not superstars.

I think it would be unrealistic for Shead to find a startung gig as a FA in 2018. He missed the entire season and has limited tape. He’ll be a depth signing with starter potential. I wouldn’t mind upping his contract another $500,000 to ensure he signs.

And lastly, I don’t think Seattle woll prioritize Richardson because they have relaively good depth at receiver with Baldwin, Lockett, and a good young player in Darboh.

44 minutes ago, OakRaiders3828 said:

Really want to see an upgrade at the slot position, unless you see Cooper playing there more often, then we’d need an upgrade on the outside. Like everything else though. Also I’d like to see a young MLB brought in to learn from Bowman. Wouldn’t mind seeing more competition at Saftey either. 

I also like to see Cooper in the slot more, but ultimately I like to see him move around a lot more both in alignment and motions. Up to this point in his career, he has linesd up almost exlusively on the outside.

Marquel Lee is the player who will “develop” behind Bowman. He was thrown to the wolves too early last season.

2 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Marquel Lee is the player who will “develop” behind Bowman. He was thrown to the wolves too early last season.

He's nothing more than plodding 2 down LB. He can't run sideline to sideline and can't cover. He's not going to develop into anything more than that. No speed. 

Still laughable they tried to force him into a starting role and thought it would work. About time the FO got serious about getting some talent in the front 7. To many developmental picks there and not nearly enough prospects with speed. 

53 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He's nothing more than plodding 2 down LB. He can't run sideline to sideline and can't cover. He's not going to develop into anything more than that. No speed. 

Still laughable they tried to force him into a starting role and thought it would work. About time the FO got serious about getting some talent in the front 7. To many developmental picks there and not nearly enough prospects with speed. 

Linebackers don’t have to have physically fast to be very good or even great. What every good linebacker needs are fast eyes and that comes from development and instincts. Look at guys like Vontaze Burfict (5.09), Sean Lee (4.71), Donta Hightower (4.68), Brandon Marshall (4.81),  or even a young NaVorro Bowman (4.7). Speed is not a necessity for a linebacker to be good.

Further, it’s much more important to get the fron 4 sorted out before heavily investing in the second level — especially if you want smaller and faster players there.

24 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Linebackers don’t have to have physically fast to be very good or even great. What every good linebacker needs are fast eyes and that comes from development and instincts. Look at guys like Vontaze Burfict (5.09), Sean Lee (4.71), Donta Hightower (4.68), Brandon Marshall (4.81),  or even a young NaVorro Bowman (4.7). Speed is not a necessity for a linebacker to be good.

Further, it’s much more important to get the fron 4 sorted out before heavily investing in the second level — especially if you want smaller and faster players there.

I agree. Not saying speed is the end all be all.  But in the modern NFL, with more spread concepts you want LBs who can cover and get sideline to sideline. Lee in this case instincts and play recognition. Can he develop it.... I have doubts. Looks like a backup ST player. 1 and done contract.

And yes. Time to get the DLine sorted out. There isn't one player who is consistent there. MEJ and Jelly are just guys. The rest are below average on their best days. 

9 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Doesn't Michael Bennett have problems with his neck?  I thought I remember reading that he and Kam Chancellor might not even be able to play football anymore.  Maybe there was an update on them that I didn't see.

He just played in the Pro Bowl. I think you're thinking of Cliff Avril.

23 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

this is true, but marquel lee doesn't read or play fast to make up for his lack of natural speed. i mean just about every linebacker will outrun burfict's 40, but not all of them cover as much ground as he does... Lee isn't one of those exceptions

39 minutes ago, raiderrocker18 said:

this is true, but marquel lee doesn't read or play fast to make up for his lack of natural speed. i mean just about every linebacker will outrun burfict's 40, but not all of them cover as much ground as he does... Lee isn't one of those exceptions

Yet...

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

Yet...

you cant just point to the exceptions and act like its reasonable to expect a mid-round pick (who hasn't really shown any signs) to be one of those exceptions

i mean, if you draft an undersized noodle-armed qb who had a mediocre rookie year, you cant just be like "oh well look at drew brees" and then act like its OK trotting him out there for another year

so yeah, there are some legit SL/SL linebackers who can cover well that timed poorly on the 40. just because Lee is also slow doesn't mean we have to assume he's one of those exceptions.

not saying lets cut Lee or anything, but i do think its time we invest some serious resources in addressing the position instead of just hoping some late round picks (Cory James)and UDFA's (Nicholas Morrow) are going to be solutions. that approach has been the problem, which is why suddenly we're pretty desperate to bring back a guy like bowman

On 1/28/2018 at 9:53 AM, big_palooka said:

I think he's more than that.

19 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I think he's more than that.

I think Lee has more than that as well. However, if we get a chance at a sure thing, we can't wait on Lee (general principle for the whole team). So, for the moment Lee is just a depth guy - and hopefully in time he will become more.

Archived