Nintendo Switch Thread

11 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

1. Buy an SD card because the internal memory is 32GB and you don't get all of that because of the Switch's OS, no.2 that's roughly 18-20 GB left over. I don't remember the exact numbers but I'd say get least a 128GB SD card. The Internal storage is enough for maybe 1-2 smaller games and a bunch of indie titles but 20 GBs goes quick for games. Be careful to check it's not a microSD because the switch takes SD cards.

Wait, is this advice for people who download games?  Because I buy 100% physical copies.  I never buy digital games.  Ever. 

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Wait, is this advice for people who download games?  Because I buy 100% physical copies.  I never buy digital games.  Ever. 

As a reference point, I have Pokemon: Lets Go, Eevee! on the Switch and I have a physical copy.  My storage space for the game is 42.2 MB and that's probably from like saved data and stuff. From what it looks like, physical games don't take up any hard drive space in terms of them needing to be installed.  That's a lot different than physical copies of games still needing to be installed on the Xbox or Playstation. 

On the flip side, I got a really good deal on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because I got a free eshop gift card from Nintendo.  I figured I would get that digital since that would be a game I wouldn't want to trade in anyway.  That game is 15.8 GB.

I would continue to look into it more, but if you're only going physical, you could probably not have to buy a SD card for a long time.  I think I got a 128 GB SD card a while ago on sale for like $15 or something like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Nope.  If I can't get a physical copy, I won't buy it. 

I'm the same way, except I just bought NBA 2k20 digital. 

I'm OCD about not having a physical copy in case something happens to the system or I sell it, but I caught it when it was half off and sports games come out every year so it wouldn't be a big loss. 

Just now, JonStark said:

I'm the same way, except I just bought NBA 2k20 digital. 

I'm OCD about not having a physical copy in case something happens to the system or I sell it, but I caught it when it was half off and sports games come out every year so it wouldn't be a big loss. 

The great part about digital copies is they travel with your sign on. So you can lose the system and recover your games.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

This is just general advice because with an SD card you can backup your games and not be forced to re-download updates etc.

However saves are locked to your switch/switch online because nintendo ain't gonna let you backup your saves for free.

Even with physical copies there's still gonna be save data, updates (Looking at you 68 GB update for COD recently) that you'd need storage for.

Long story short, most games quality AAA games are 10+ GB and if you play a number of those you're gonna need that space. You do not 100% need it though if you delete your games often though. 

Showtime said it better than me tbh. 

9 hours ago, showtime said:

As a reference point, I have Pokemon: Lets Go, Eevee! on the Switch and I have a physical copy.  My storage space for the game is 42.2 MB and that's probably from like saved data and stuff. From what it looks like, physical games don't take up any hard drive space in terms of them needing to be installed.  That's a lot different than physical copies of games still needing to be installed on the Xbox or Playstation. 

On the flip side, I got a really good deal on Super Smash Bros. Ultimate because I got a free eshop gift card from Nintendo.  I figured I would get that digital since that would be a game I wouldn't want to trade in anyway.  That game is 15.8 GB.

I would continue to look into it more, but if you're only going physical, you could probably not have to buy a SD card for a long time.  I think I got a 128 GB SD card a while ago on sale for like $15 or something like that.

8 hours ago, scar988 said:

The great part about digital copies is they travel with your sign on. So you can lose the system and recover your games.

This is true.

52 minutes ago, JonStark said:

Wow I had no idea about that. Thanks! 

It works the same way for digital on Xbox One and PS4. It's pretty awesome. I've deleted games on the PS4 for space before and then wanted to play them again later and just redownloaded them too. Once you own them, you own them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, scar988 said:

It works the same way for digital on Xbox One and PS4. It's pretty awesome. I've deleted games on the PS4 for space before and then wanted to play them again later and just redownloaded them too. Once you own them, you own them.

Until copyright issues or the corporation whose license you bought this from expires*.

Generally you do own your games but games can and will be removed due to various reasons, generally you can still download it if you own it but in this digital age games can vanish easily. 

RIP GTA IV. 

• Like 1

On 2/14/2020 at 6:11 PM, SwoleXmad said:

Until copyright issues or the corporation whose license you bought this from expires*.

Generally you do own your games but games can and will be removed due to various reasons, generally you can still download it if you own it but in this digital age games can vanish easily. 

RIP GTA IV. 

Normally at that point, I'm already tired of playing the game. And I don't think Super Smash or Pokemon or Mario Party will ever be leaivng the nintendo lineup. So I'm probably good on my switch games.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...