Nintendo Switch Thread

1 hour ago, jyod21 said:

Haha, I am.  I'm getting married in 2 months, and we've been living together for 2 1/2 years.  It's part of what motivated me to buy the Switch. 

It was on 2 fronts, outside of just wanting one in general:
  The first was that I have a mancave in the basement, and that's where my PS4 is.  Any time I'm downstairs playing, she tries to flush me out of there, lol.  When sitting on the couch with her, messing around on my phone, or playing my 3ds, she doesn't seem to mind as much, I guess because I'm physically present, so I thought the Switch would be a good alternative. 

The 2nd was that she went out of town this past weekend for a friend's baby shower, stopped at a jewelry store, and fell in love with a wedding band that was beyond the original budget.  I told her she could get the ring, and while she was riding that high and out of the house, I went and bought the Switch, so she really couldn't say anything. 

She likes Mario Kart, and easier pick up and play games like that, so I can buy that, so she can feel involved. It's also a decent party game, when people are at the house drinking.  I'm too competitive for her to play most games with me.  She bought Mortal Kombat, thinking we could play it together, until I couldn't help but just kick the **** out of her.  You can only be flawless victory'd and have your spine ripped out so many times.  She didn't really want to play much after that, surprisingly.

Your fiance sounds cool. is she single?

• Like 5

I'm getting a tad burned out on Breath of the Wild actually. It's a phenomenal game, but I almost feel like the 120 shrines are too much. I'm actually to the point now where I have 104 of them, so the ones that are left are super hard to find and I've had to peek at a few guides online. After 65+ hours seeking out all of the shrines is starting to wear out its welcome - I wish that there were some bigger dungeons in place of some of them. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I'm getting a tad burned out on Breath of the Wild actually. It's a phenomenal game, but I almost feel like the 120 shrines are too much. I'm actually to the point now where I have 104 of them, so the ones that are left are super hard to find and I've had to peek at a few guides online. After 65+ hours seeking out all of the shrines is starting to wear out its welcome - I wish that there were some bigger dungeons in place of some of them. 

I feel you. The last 20-30 I looked up online because I was burned out. Not a game that I would be completing in a couple weeks next time

BOTW really serves itself to the Switch with the short dungeons, for those people who are playing it in short bursts using the portable switch features. I play the switch 99% of the time on my tv

Edited by JBURGE25

• 2 weeks later...

E3 was kinda disappointing for Nintendo. I thought that we would get a Metroid-level surprise like last year and that just didn't happen. Smash looks great, of course, and they have a fairly decent lineup this year, but I expected more. I thought that we would get some reveals for games like Pikmin or Animal Crossing and a few ports of games like Skyward Sword or Mario Maker. I guess that's just not Nintendo's style anymore - E3 is about just a few games, with others getting more attention at their own "Nintendo Direct" events. 

I'm probably most excited for Fire Emblem - at least early 2019 should be decent with Fire Emblem and hopefully Yoshi. 

I also bought Golf Story for $9 during their E3 sale a couple of days ago. It's really fun for what it is and I definitely recommend it if you like old-school RPG's or golf games. 

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if anyone is interested, but I am in the Arena of Valor Closed beta. Game is very fun, seems like a MOBA fits into the Switch environment perfectly and it handles like a dream so far control wise. Only issues I've had is sound dropping out for some enemies attacking me which made it weird at the moment, but the network handles it well. No lag issues, solid framerates, and no gamebreaking bugs from what I have seen in a handful of matches. Game has full 5v5 (plus ranked mode which is locked during the Beta), 3v3, 1v1, and a 5v5 mode called Hook Wars which I think is also locked right now. Can play against the AI or online opponents, I've played primarily online unless testing out heroes. I've unlocked a handful and they all seem fun, but I don't know much about the games meta right now. Any MOBA fans I would think would be relatively pleased when this comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection on the Switch. Man, I loved hearing Cammy's theme on Super Street Fighter II once again. I love Guile's, too, but Cammy's was easily the best. It brings back such nostalgic memories:

Guile:

Cammy:

Mario Odyssey is excellent, isn't it? The "main" story doesn't last all that long, but I'm having a lot of fun exploring all of the different kingdoms and finding the moons. The game is just packed with details and is really clever with how the levels are designed and things are hidden. 

I also restarted by Gamefly account so that I can play through a couple of the shorter platformers (Kirby, Donkey Kong) that I don't want to drop $60 on. 

I also finished Zelda and found all 120 shrines...I did have to look up around 20 or so. I also got the DLC, but didn't spend much time with it. I didn't realize that a lot of it was just extra challenges...I'm not quite "hardcore" enough and get frustrated with those sorts of things. 

Edited by Lions017

14 hours ago, Lions017 said:

Mario Odyssey is excellent, isn't it? The "main" story doesn't last all that long, but I'm having a lot of fun exploring all of the different kingdoms and finding the moons. The game is just packed with details and is really clever with how the levels are designed and things are hidden. 

I also restarted by Gamefly account so that I can play through a couple of the shorter platformers (Kirby, Donkey Kong) that I don't want to drop $60 on. 

I also finished Zelda and found all 120 shrines...I did have to look up around 20 or so. I also got the DLC, but didn't spend much time with it. I didn't realize that a lot of it was just extra challenges...I'm not quite "hardcore" enough and get frustrated with those sorts of things. 

I like Mario Odyssey a lot but besides a few of the moons its just too damn easy. 

18 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I also finished Zelda and found all 120 shrines...I did have to look up around 20 or so.

The random shrine quests that you have to find on top of some random mountain with no clues whatsoever unless you stumble by it (or look it up) are particularly irksome.