Nintendo Switch Thread

6 hours ago, Woz said:

The random shrine quests that you have to find on top of some random mountain with no clues whatsoever unless you stumble by it (or look it up) are particularly irksome.

I don't know how people find some of those without help. You can literally just wander around for hours and hours. 

11 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I don't know how people find some of those without help. You can literally just wander around for hours and hours. 

I can think of two off of the top of my head that I have no earthly idea how I would have known they were shrines without looking them up (I mention them in the spoiler tag, so don't look if you don't want to know)

The one in Gerudo Desert where you encounter the Molduga and have to light the four torches and the one on top of the mountain east of the Southern Labyrinth and have to hold up the snowball at the right time are the ones I'm thinking about. There's nothing to hint that there's a shrine at all at the Molduga, and while there is a shrine platform on the mountain, it's positioned such that you can only find it if you wander up to it.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 10:47 AM, Woz said:

I can think of two off of the top of my head that I have no earthly idea how I would have known they were shrines without looking them up (I mention them in the spoiler tag, so don't look if you don't want to know)

That snow one.... Agree completely. 

One I hit around 80 I had a map up online for where the remaining ones were, and there were a handful of them I actually had to look up the guide. I like puzzles but some of them were really reaching

I remember one in the desert where you had to wait until the sun cast shade on thew shrine and then shoot an arrow at it or something.. I think it was one of the singing bird dude's shrines. That was was super creative but hard-ish

Edited by JBURGE

I'm almost done with Breath of the Wild. I've gotten to the point where I am close enough that I should finish it (literally my save is right outside of door to Hyrule Castle), but tired of it enough that I don't feel the urge to pick it up.

Of course this means my son "surprises" me with buying the DLC combo pack.

Urgh ...

because he likes playing together.

The guilt knife takes another turn.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Woz said:

I'm almost done with Breath of the Wild. I've gotten to the point where I am close enough that I should finish it (literally my save is right outside of door to Hyrule Castle), but tired of it enough that I don't feel the urge to pick it up.

Urgh ...

because he likes playing together.

The guilt knife takes another turn.

I took so long to finally beat Ganon. I did absolutely everything and then just stopped playing when my last real thing to do was beat the game. Weird to me that I've found quite a few people who are in the same boat. Maybe it's because you put it aside for so long that when it's time to do it you already feel like you've accomplished everything important

Just now, JBURGE said:

I took so long to finally beat Ganon. I did absolutely everything and then just stopped playing when my last real thing to do was beat the game. Weird to me that I've found quite a few people who are in the same boat. Maybe it's because you put it aside for so long that when it's time to do it you already feel like you've accomplished everything important

In my first attempt at Ganon, it did feel a bit anticlimatic.

1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I have had that issue for every large open world game to date. Witcher 3, GTA V, Every Bethesda game. I always get to the end and then just never finish it. By the time I get back I have to play the whole damn thing over again. 

On 7/27/2018 at 12:57 AM, NickButera said:

Octopath Traveler is fantastic. One of my favorite games this year, and I still have so much to do in it.

I played the demo for an hour or so and didn't find the combat or the dialogue to be particularly engaging. I do want to finish up the three hours though and see how I feel. Lots of people seem to love it. 

2 hours ago, Lions017 said:

I played the demo for an hour or so and didn't find the combat or the dialogue to be particularly engaging. I do want to finish up the three hours though and see how I feel. Lots of people seem to love it. 

I keep finding new things that make me really enjoy the game.  One example is after i read this review, I went in and started playing differently (how the reviewer did it) and got a new perspective of enjoyment out of it.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/07/26/octopath-traveler-best-break-thanks-dancing/

On 7/31/2018 at 6:26 PM, NickButera said:

I keep finding new things that make me really enjoy the game.  One example is after i read this review, I went in and started playing differently (how the reviewer did it) and got a new perspective of enjoyment out of it.

https://www.vg247.com/2018/07/26/octopath-traveler-best-break-thanks-dancing/

That's pretty interesting. I actually played the demo again and it all sort of "clicked" for me. I ended up buying the game and now I'm seven hours into it and having a lot of fun. 

On 7/23/2018 at 3:41 AM, Woz said:

Urgh ...

The "Trial of the Sword" side quest ... single most infuriating thing I have encountered in a video game in a long time.

If you have done the "Stranded" shrine quest, it's like that. Except it's fifty small battle levels where you cannot advance until all the enemies are defeated. Oh yeah, and since it is a "shrine" trial, no saving. You die, you start over.

The joys of fighting with a tree branch again. How I missed those! Not.

possibly a save at the middle trial/final trial spots, but I haven't made it that far.

This might fall into the Jump Rope Hero category of "this isn't fun, why bother wasting my time trying to get 100%" and skip.

I enjoyed the Trials of the Sword as they were intended to be, a very challenging method to upgrade the power of the Master Sword. It was a very Souls-like (Dark Souls, Bloodborne, etc. in terms of challenge and strategy) experience, very trying, sometimes annoying, survival experience that was very rewarding at the end (though I have only finished the first and second challenges, not looking forward to the third). Not sure how I will feel when I eventually try it on Master mode,