Nintendo Switch Thread

16 minutes ago, showtime said:

How much longer until we see an announcement of a new Zelda or Mario game?  Both Zelda Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are both almost two years old at this point.  Both of those games are arguably the greatest in the history of each franchise, respectively.  Because of that, the game engines, graphical assets and properties are already in place, so a sequel for Breath of the Wild or Odyssey could in theory easier to make than the originals.

Nintendo has released a sequel for a game on a relatively fast turn around (for Nintendo standards) in the past.  Super Mario Galaxy released at the end of 2007 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 released mid-2010.  So about three years and a sequel was released.  Part of the reason they could do this is because they already created the engine, assets and properties in the first game.  Thus, in the second game, they could expand it and make it bigger and better.

Both Super Mario Odyssey and Zelda Breath of the Wild are all-time great games, but both have so much potential that can be reached with a sequel.  Hopefully we get some wind of a sequel later this year or sometime in 2020 with a future release date.

Expect a Zelda reveal earlier than the Mario reveal, Zelda BOTW was revealed in 2014 and whereas Mario was revealed in 2017. 

I'd expect nintendo to do the standard 4 years of development for both games even if they re-use assets.

2 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Expect a Zelda reveal earlier than the Mario reveal, Zelda BOTW was revealed in 2014 and whereas Mario was revealed in 2017. 

I'd expect nintendo to do the standard 4 years of development for both games even if they re-use assets.

I think Odyssey would be easier for them to do.  They can literally make any type of lands they want (almost no restrictions here) and they can just add a ton new things to capture.  For some reason, I think that we get a Odyssey sequel in 2020 along with Animal Crossing. 

Unless Animal Crossing comes out this year, which a lot of people think it will, but I don't for some reason.

• Like 1

Just a note for everyone.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/a_splatoon_2_demo_has_just_launched_on_switch_includes_free_online_trial_and_money_off_full_game

The demo will allow players to jump into 4-on-4 Turf War battles, Salmon Run, League Battle, and Ranked Battle modes online with friends and other players who own the full game.

This also comes with a code for a free 7 day trial of Nintendo Online even if you have already used your initial free 7 day trial.  The code will be emailed to you once you download the demo.

And finally, Splatoon 2 will be 20% off starting tomorrow.  All progress you make in this demo will be carried over to the actual game should you decide to buy it.  The demo runs for one week, so from tomorrow 3/19 until 3/25.

As for me, I'm super interested in this.  I have always wanted to try this game before buying it.  If I enjoy it, then I'll probably buy it since it will be on sale as well.

12 hours ago, showtime said:

How much longer until we see an announcement of a new Zelda or Mario game?  Both Zelda Breath of the Wild and Super Mario Odyssey are both almost two years old at this point.  Both of those games are arguably the greatest in the history of each franchise, respectively.  Because of that, the game engines, graphical assets and properties are already in place, so a sequel for Breath of the Wild or Odyssey could in theory easier to make than the originals.

While not a new new game, the next "new" Zelda game for the Switch will be:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/13/18224033/legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-nintendo-switch-release-date-trailer-video-watch

Next new Mario game is Mario Maker 2. I realize that's not what you meant, but that's how Nintendo tends to roll.

I wouldn't expect any direct sequels to either game until 2020 at the earliest as it takes years at least to make games the size of BotW and Odyssey.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Woz said:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/13/18224033/legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-nintendo-switch-release-date-trailer-video-watch

Next new Mario game is Mario Maker 2. I realize that's not what you meant, but that's how Nintendo tends to roll.

I wouldn't expect any direct sequels to either game until 2020 at the earliest as it takes years at least to make games the size of BotW and Odyssey.

Links Awakening is a remake of an old school game boy game.  It’s a good game.

6 hours ago, Woz said:

We get a Zelda and Mario game almost every year, even if they're often 2D versions or some sort of spinoff. 

I do think that the Switch will get another 3D, mainline game for each series, but it might not be until 2020-2021. 

8 hours ago, Lions017 said:

We get a Zelda and Mario game almost every year, even if they're often 2D versions or some sort of spinoff. 

I do think that the Switch will get another 3D, mainline game for each series, but it might not be until 2020-2021. 

Hence why I said Link's Awakening and Mario Maker probably hit their marks.

13 hours ago, showtime said:

I got $65 eShop credit.  The obvious thing to buy is Zelda, but I kind of don't want to because I still got a bunch of other games to play and that game will take so much time.

You could always hold onto the credit, work down your pile, and go back to Zelda when you have a bit more space (and potentially a bit cheaper). It's worth it.

On 3/20/2019 at 1:37 AM, Lions017 said:

There's the 2D Zelda/spinoff you were talking about.

@PatriotsWin! asked about Switch revisions and some are heavily rumored to be announced this upcoming E3.  I'm currently at work right now, so I cant supply the link.  It's in a ton of publications, though.  Of course nothing confirmed by Nintendo, but we'll see what happens.

EDIT:  https://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-is-releasing-two-new-switch-models-1833535450

• Like 1

19 hours ago, showtime said:

@PatriotsWin! asked about Switch revisions and some are heavily rumored to be announced this upcoming E3.  I'm currently at work right now, so I cant supply the link.  It's in a ton of publications, though.  Of course nothing confirmed by Nintendo, but we'll see what happens.

EDIT:  https://kotaku.com/report-nintendo-is-releasing-two-new-switch-models-1833535450

Thanks for the link, @showtime. Will be interesting to see how the games will spec out different on the different platforms.