Nintendo Switch Thread

1 hour ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah I assumed that’d be a thing later, that sucks.

I’ve started and stopped the game like 10 times. I wanted to like it so much having never played a Zelda title.

It’s kinda like Red Dead 2, I totally get what the devs were going for, but they are both purposely obtuse and vague in the way they are structured. Couldn’t blast past that for either. Want to try again with Red Dead because I know the story is in there somewhere.

Its still an amazing game, but that one aspect prevents it from being an all time fave.    As stated....no issue with weapons breaking in games, but it was ridiculous in BotW considering you couldn't fix them and even high powered ones broke after a few battles.

Even the friggin MASTER SWORD you could only use for a limited time.   

Just a horribly flawed mechanic that really took some enjoyment out of the game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Excited about Super Mario Party, but only 5 maps I don't think I'll get it.  

Switch needs something like GamePass.  I love all the Mario games but only want to play when I'm in the mood, with a few buddies in person or bored with nothing to do.  Not worth the $60.

I'm in the same boat, and they almost never drop in price.  I always get a laugh when I see their "sales."  If people are willing to pay it, why not?  It just keeps me from playing the majority of the Mario titles, because I don't get that much playtime out of them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiltman said:

Yeah I assumed that’d be a thing later, that sucks.

I’ve started and stopped the game like 10 times. I wanted to like it so much having never played a Zelda title.

It’s kinda like Red Dead 2, I totally get what the devs were going for, but they are both purposely obtuse and vague in the way they are structured. Couldn’t blast past that for either. Want to try again with Red Dead because I know the story is in there somewhere.

It completely died for me.  I did not finish it, highly doubt I will play it again.

An absolutely awe-inspiring game in its scope and mechanics, but definitely not for me.  

In games like that, you need incentive.  At least I do.  Its complete and total lack of any incentive whatsoever made its charm and gameplay wear extremely thin.

I’ll save it.  I’ve got a 1 year old nephew who is going to need to inherit some games.  Hopefully he likes it in 4 years.

4 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Excited about Super Mario Party, but only 5 maps I don't think I'll get it.  

Switch needs something like GamePass.  I love all the Mario games but only want to play when I'm in the mood, with a few buddies in person or bored with nothing to do.  Not worth the $60.

Dude...thats my beef with the Mario Party for the Switch (the one that came out like 6 years ago). I played it and there are only like 3-4 different game boards. My wife and I were super confused because if I remember correct, the MP for the N64 had a bunch of different options.

It just felt like this one fell flat in terms of options.

2 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I'm in the same boat, and they almost never drop in price.  I always get a laugh when I see their "sales."  If people are willing to pay it, why not?  It just keeps me from playing the majority of the Mario titles, because I don't get that much playtime out of them.

I am super pumped for Mario Golf (because Im a big golfer) but I know Im going to get bored with the game like 3 hours into playing it. Nearly every Mario game is meant to be played in groups, not solo (unless its Oddessy) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It completely died for me.  I did not finish it, highly doubt I will play it again.

An absolutely awe-inspiring game in its scope and mechanics, but definitely not for me.  

In games like that, you need incentive.  At least I do.  Its complete and total lack of any incentive whatsoever made its charm and gameplay wear extremely thin.

I’ll save it.  I’ve got a 1 year old nephew who is going to need to inherit some games.  Hopefully he likes it in 4 years.

What do you consider incentive?     Gameplay outside of one mechanic was great, tons of stuff to do, solid story...

I respect if it didnt grab you, but Im curious what incentive you think it lacked.

2 minutes ago, 43M said:

What do you consider incentive?     Gameplay outside of one mechanic was great, tons of stuff to do, solid story...

I respect if it didnt grab you, but Im curious what incentive you think it lacked.

Weapons or leveling.  I found myself avoiding any combat whatsoever because all the weapons just broke and I hated having to change weapons.  That would be somewhat tolerable if you could level up so maybe your weapons broke less (or not at all), if you could level your speed, defense, so and so.

• Like 2

Also, this new Mario Party… I don’t care if it is only 5 boards because it’s the classic boards and maybe a couple new ones.

My biggest gripe since Mario Party 8 has been how terrible, bland, simple and redundant the boards have been. Also, they just haven’t been all that great.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Weapons or leveling.  I found myself avoiding any combat whatsoever because all the weapons just broke and I hated having to change weapons.  That would be somewhat tolerable if you could level up so maybe your weapons broke less (or not at all), if you could level your speed, defense, so and so.

Fair points...and I agree that wouldve made it better.   In ways it did have leveling, but it moreso came through abilities, armor and shrines to improve magic and health.

17 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Also, this new Mario Party… I don’t care if it is only 5 boards because it’s the classic boards and maybe a couple new ones.

My biggest gripe since Mario Party 8 has been how terrible, bland, simple and redundant the boards have been. Also, they just haven’t been all that great.

Not sure when they introduced it, but I love that Partner game mode where its basically 2v2. Hopefully that stays.

7 hours ago, OkeyDoke21 said:

I bought Paper Mario because I had plenty of time during the pandemic.  Beat it in a few days then traded it back in for like $40 or whatever they gave me.  Really miss Blockbuster, $5-10 for the weekend!

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It sounds like they are adding events to the boards.  If that's enough to keep it fresh each playthrough then maybe.  But still, this was a sleepover game for my friends and me.  Play 2-3 games each night.  I'd be lucky if I played this once every 6 months with them now.

I never really care much about the boards in Mario Party, for me it's all about the mini-games.  The last one needed a larger selection and variety of types.  It definitely felt a little phoned in compared to some previous versions.

That said, my boys absolutely love the baseball mini-game in that one.

Edited by THE DUKE

• 2 weeks later...

Just got Mario Golf. As I was anticipating for months now. Not going to lie, its good--but gets old rather quick unless your playing multiplayer with friends (like any Mario game).

It just feels like so much is left out and its a half finished game. There are only 6 courses to play, the single player story lacks a bit of punch and should have been twice as long and there needs to be more game modes. Why there is not a mini-golf side game I have no idea. No stat tracking on courses or any high score leaderboard type things to track rounds.

Its a good game and its fun (the Speed Run mode is a great addition to traditional Golf) but the Single player mode ends rather quick and then your just sitting there like "What do I do now?" For $60 it just doesnt seem to have a ton of replay-ability. Almost like it should have been a $29.99 arcade game and not a $60 full scale Mario title. There is just so much depth missing from it and feels like a game I could download from the eShop from a independent company for less than 1/2 the price.

Its a really fun game, they could have just done a lot more with it to make it more robust and keep people from trading it back in 5 days after purchase.

Sort of disappointing as I was looking forward to this game coming out for months now.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3