TCM RAMS GM

Fragafootball

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

It was more an expression than an attempt to condescend.  I've said similar things to @jrry32 in the past and he's much more the sort to think himself the smartest guy in the room (and by room I'm not referring to in here... I was speak in terms of among your the other GM's in the mock).  That was more my point, in these kind of mocks you have to have a plan, but you also have to recognize times when to step back and ask yourself why people are coming at you for certain guys.  The other reason I bring it up is it can benefit you huge if you're looking for those opportunities where another GM is, in your observation, acting like he is that "smartest guy in the room," as it'll kind of give you an idea of who may or may not be easier (or sometimes even worth) trying to do business with (definitely helps to keep track of for those instances when you're looking at moving around in the actual draft).

Just, as an example, I have no idea if this has been offered to you, but I suspect it may have or may be because the Broncos GM projected such a trade in his own Mock in the Mock Draft sub-forum: i.e. if they've offered you Aqib Talib.  Stop and consider that yes, if he (Broncos GM) can't trade him he'll likely cut him because he needs the cap space to pursue a QB in FA.  That's not to say don't trade for him, but recognize the kind of leverage you have, if he wants the cap space, he needs to give you a major discount on the cost to acquire (any of us - jrry, yonesh, myself, etc. are more than happy to contribute input on what the ceiling for that ought to be in a stand-alone pick before you ought to start demanding a swap of picks in the same round - which could be beneficial for you if you're really keen on adding through the draft, as it gives you a roughly 20-pick jump in a round which can be a big boon in the middle rounds).

I apologize if my earlier post came off as condescending, it wasn't my intention.  However, I've always had a mind that mocks ought to have more of a basis in realism versus fantasy - and I think jrry can tell you from experience that approaching this particular mock from that perspective is the best way to not get caught with you pants down if/when Plans A, B, and sometimes even C fall through because you'll get opposing GM's who sacrifice all their depth for the best starting sides.  I have another bit I'll PM you about because it's a handy tip, but not one I like to make public.

No worries, I am still getting the hang of this. But I do have a plan. I enjoy the input and the discussions. Like in reality, if I had a GM position I would trust the opinion of my staff, which in this case means I consider the opinion of you guys here in the group.

@The LBC is giving good advice here. You'll find that some GMs make huge mistakes in this mock because they are too eager to deal or are bored. If you sit back patiently, you can really capitalize. In the past, I was able to get draft picks for guys I planned to cut, and I ended up getting some really favorable deals because I waited until after FA started when people panicked after they missed out on their top FA options.

Some GMs also make big mistakes with cap room and end up having to sell off some of their highly-paid talent at a discount. The key in this mock is to formulate a plan, try to exploit others' weaknesses, and be patient. Let other teams get desperate and make the mistakes.

BTW, @Fragafootball when does free agency start? If you want, I can give you some tips this weekend on how to do well in FA in this mock. There are some things that you might not think about due to it all being new to you.

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

@The LBC is giving good advice here. You'll find that some GMs make huge mistakes in this mock because they are too eager to deal or are bored. If you sit back patiently, you can really capitalize. In the past, I was able to get draft picks for guys I planned to cut, and I ended up getting some really favorable deals because I waited until after FA started when people panicked after they missed out on their top FA options.

Some GMs also make big mistakes with cap room and end up having to sell off some of their highly-paid talent at a discount. The key in this mock is to formulate a plan, try to exploit others' weaknesses, and be patient. Let other teams get desperate and make the mistakes.

BTW, @Fragafootball when does free agency start? If you want, I can give you some tips this weekend on how to do well in FA in this mock. There are some things that you might not think about due to it all being new to you.

For sure man, all advice is welcome. Especially from experienced GMs. 

4 hours ago, JonStark said:

Any chance you can post the trades/offers here? Just curious what type of packages people are valuing our guys at.

I will after they post. Wouldn't want to have someone see the deal and out bid me because of it. Hope that makes sense 

On 2/2/2018 at 5:46 PM, jrry32 said:

This explains it perfectly. While it is annoying playing the waiting game more than pays off. A couple years ago I believe (Probably before Goff was picked) people were freaking out over our QB situation. Don't remember exactly who the GM for the Rams was(Either Jrry or I i believe) but they held back for a while on doing anything crazy and we ended up getting Philip Rivers for peanuts later on because the GM of the Chargers needed cap relief. These mocks are always hard the first time but they get easier as you go on.  We are here to help you every step of the way bro.  

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:28 AM, yoinesh123 said:

This explains it perfectly. While it is annoying playing the waiting game more than pays off. A couple years ago I believe (Probably before Goff was picked) people were freaking out over our QB situation. Don't remember exactly who the GM for the Rams was(Either Jrry or I i believe) but they held back for a while on doing anything crazy and we ended up getting Philip Rivers for peanuts later on because the GM of the Chargers needed cap relief. These mocks are always hard the first time but they get easier as you go on.  We are here to help you every step of the way bro.  

I hear you, I am trying to be patient, first couple weeks I bum rushed all potential trades, no I am more sitting back and analyzing the team. 

I've closed a couple trades that I feel are really beneficial to us. We'll see what else comes around after Free agency. I am still hoping to move up to a second round pick. 

5 hours ago, Fragafootball said:

What do you guys think of moving Brown to LG and Havenstein to RG? 

I think it greatly weakens our OLine. Saffold is a better guard than either of them. Also we tried Hav at RG in camp and Brown at RT and both were bad at those spots.

What do you guys think of moving Brown to LG and Havenstein to RG? 

Who is going to play RT?

I hear you, I am trying to be patient, first couple weeks I bum rushed all potential trades, no I am more sitting back and analyzing the team. 

I've closed a couple trades that I feel are really beneficial to us. We'll see what else comes around after Free agency. I am still hoping to move up to a second round pick. 

When does FA start?

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

I think it greatly weakens our OLine. Saffold is a better guard than either of them. Also we tried Hav at RG in camp and Brown at RT and both were bad at those spots.

Yeah, I seem to recall Hav having a difficult time playing guard in camp and it wasn't just a case of him struggling because the player to his right playing tackle wasn't adept at his position either; he just wasn't that great working in a phone booth.

I also can't stress enough that in Kromer's blocking scheme guard-play is more important than tackle-play it.  Go back and look at his lines in New Orleans (and even the one in Chicago), they got by with fairly middling tackles (Zach Strief was certainly no slouch but he was also strictly a RT and didn't have the feet to play the other side) - they put a greater emphasis (particularly monetarily) in having high-end guards... they weren't trading the good guards they had away.

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Really? I don't agree at all, I've never been a fan of Saffold. Last year was the only good season I've seen from him in what? 6 years? He's not awful, I just think we can upgrade. Also, I was under  the impression that Havenstein did well at Guard in camp but we couldn't really figure out what to do at RT so we ended up moving him back to Tackle when Brown ended up being the only decent player we had on the position.

4 minutes ago, Fragafootball said:

Really? I don't agree at all, I've never been a fan of Saffold. Last year was the only good season I've seen from him in what? 6 years? He's not awful, I just think we can upgrade. Also, I was under  the impression that Havenstein did well at Guard in camp but we couldn't really figure out what to do at RT so we ended up moving him back to Tackle when Brown ended up being the only decent player we had on the position.

Saffold was great this year. I'd plan to replace him, but I wouldn't trade him unless the offer was too good to be true.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, I seem to recall Hav having a difficult time playing guard in camp and it wasn't just a case of him struggling because the player to his right playing tackle wasn't adept at his position either; he just wasn't that great working in a phone booth.

I also can't stress enough that in Kromer's blocking scheme guard-play is more important than tackle-play it.  Go back and look at his lines in New Orleans (and even the one in Chicago), they got by with fairly middling tackles (Zach Strief was certainly no slouch but he was also strictly a RT and didn't have the feet to play the other side) - they put a greater emphasis (particularly monetarily) in having high-end guards... they weren't trading the good guards they had away.

See by what I understood from the camp reports the case was that we couldn't find a good RT,  Brown won the position and I didn't make too much sense inverting them. 

I couldn't agree with you more that in Kromers scheme Guard play is fundamental, but I'm under the impression that they see Havenstein having more potential at Guard then Tackle. He's got the size (over 325 pounds) the footwork and he understands the system. I also like Brown over Saffold, so if we could get an upgrade at RT I think the move makes sense.

1 hour ago, Fragafootball said:

Go back and look at Gurley highlights and tell me how many of his big runs have Saffold down field blocking. Saffold was pro bowl level. He should be extended not traded. But that's just my opinion, keep him at Guard and we're golden. Especially in a couple years when Whitworth is gone and we have a younger LT next to him his experience will be key. While we might be able to upgrade him wouldn't it be better to keep him and upgrade the RG position and have a really strong line? And your scenario wasn't upgrading him you asked about Brown and Havenstein as our two guards that's a downgrade.

Archived