Draft Strategy for QB

Fatgerman

To preface, my # 1 QB is Darnold and my #2 is Baker Mayfield. Anyhow, my strategy would be to emulate the Chargers in 04; draft Darnold at 1 and if Baker is there at 4, trade Darnold to the highest bidder between Denver and NYJets. If the clock runs down on pick 4 and weve made no deal, we take our BPA: Barkley, Minkah, J Jackson, Chubb...etc.  This strategy ensures that we get our QB, whether its Darnold or Baker, plus gives us the oppurtunity to maximize our assetts.

If you recall, the Chargers drafted Manning planning to trade him to the Giants, but they wouldnt pull the trigger til Rivers fell to the Giants pick to ensure they got their QB. This is a great plan for us.

Example of how this could work: Baker is there at 4 and we trade pick 1(darnold) to the Jets. We get Baker at 4, plus pick 6 in the first, 37 and 49 in the second round, and next years first. Now tell me thats not a hellava deal.

1st round

4: Baker

2nd round

This gives us extra ammo to trade for Alex Smith and 2 first rounders next year. 

Now all bow before me!! Woohaha!

Something else that just occured to me: if Rosen has fallen to 4 and the Jets wanna jump Denver at 5, we have the flexibilty to do this as well.

7 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Love the concept but seems a bit much to expect in a trade w/NYJ.

That is what Id shoot for, best case scenerio, but if pick 49 becomes a 3rd rounder instead, I can live with it. The strategy is the important aspect of this whole deal. It completely puts us in the driver seat of the first 2 rounds, especially the top 10.

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If we draft Darnold at 1 I will celebrate. If we then turn around and trade him I’m pulling a ditch, only I’ll post something that will earn myself a perma-ban.

Now that's a winning strategy.

Agree completely.

I love the concept, but the return is probably a bit on the hopeful side.

That said, all it would take is NY pulling a shocker and drafting Mayfield or someone jumping the Browns and trading with the Colts and it craps on the plan, in which case we’d be stuck with our second option at QB which would be a failure iyam.

This isn’t hard imo. Take the guy you think is the best at 1. See who’s available at 4.  It’ll be likely that someone is calling to jump the Broncos, or even the Broncos to make sure they don’t get jumped.  Try to work a deal that allows us to pick up a nice asset or two for 2019 and still have a top 10 pick. I’d love something along the lines of a 2019 2nd and 2020 3rd from the Jets to move back to 6.

Agreed. This is the perfect year and opportunity to pull off the trade down, as we have a failsafe in pick 4. I would love to turn the #1 pick into Baker Mayfield, Mark Andrews/Christian Kirk, Mark Walton/Sony Michel and a top-10 draft pick in 2019.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Agreed. This is the perfect year and opportunity to pull off the trade down, as we have a failsafe in pick 4. I would love to turn the #1 pick into Baker Mayfield, Mark Andrews/Christian Kirk, Mark Walton/Sony Michel and a top-10 draft pick in 2019.

Failsafe? Browns?

You must be new here.

15 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I love the concept, but the return is probably a bit on the hopeful side.

That said, all it would take is NY pulling a shocker and drafting Mayfield or someone jumping the Browns and trading with the Colts and it craps on the plan, in which case we’d be stuck with our second option at QB which would be a failure iyam.

This isn’t hard imo. Take the guy you think is the best at 1. See who’s available at 4.  It’ll be likely that someone is calling to jump the Broncos, or even the Broncos to make sure they don’t get jumped.  Try to work a deal that allows us to pick up a nice asset or two for 2019 and still have a top 10 pick. I’d love something along the lines of a 2019 2nd and 2020 3rd from the Jets to move back to 6.

Im confused by this. Our first choice is Darnold. If NYG take Baker, or someone jumping our pick-4, then we keep Darnold and end up with our first choice regardless. Thats what makes the strategy air-tight. We dont trade pick-1 until we are on the clock for pick 4 and know for sure weve got our 2nd choice. Its a win-win. It protects us from the unknown.

48 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

Im confused by this. Our first choice is Darnold. If NYG take Baker, or someone jumping our pick-4, then we keep Darnold and end up with our first choice regardless. Thats what makes the strategy air-tight. We dont trade pick-1 until we are on the clock for pick 4 and know for sure weve got our 2nd choice. Its a win-win. It protects us from the unknown.

Getting your second rated QB with when you have the first pick isn’t what I’d call a win-win.

If you want more picks, just trade 4.

Youre overthinking it.

1 hour ago, Fatgerman said:

We can’t give in at the QB position. You take the guy you like the best and put him in your pocket. You’re hoping this guy is your face of the franchise for ten plus years. It’s really hard to even find a price tag worthy of getting a lesser valued quarterback if you really think you have the best out there. Only way you do is if there is zero separation. Really though, even then, that’s just a cowardly way of being indecisive enough to trust an evaluation and stick to your guns. Let’s just take Darnold if the FO likes him and move on to our options at #4.

I suppose you have to trust your evaluations. Picture the 04 draft: Eli, Rivers, Big Ben. Teams couldnt go wrong with any of these three. So, your second choice is just as good as your first. If you think youre in that situation with this draft, then exploit it. If Dorsey and gang think both Darnold and Baker are gonna be franchise QBs, then the strategy is a winner. If they think theres a significant dropoff from Darnold to Baker, then take Darnold. Jeez you guys are so dam shell-shocked from all the losing, youre afraid of your own shadows.

Archived