Draft Strategy for QB

Fatgerman

2 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

I suppose you have to trust your evaluations. Picture the 04 draft: Eli, Rivers, Big Ben. Teams couldnt go wrong with any of these three. So, your second choice is just as good as your first. If you think youre in that situation with this draft, then exploit it. If Dorsey and gang think both Darnold and Baker are gonna be franchise QBs, then the strategy is a winner. If they think theres a significant dropoff from Darnold to Baker, then take Darnold. Jeez you guys are so dam shell-shocked from all the losing, youre afraid of your own shadows.

This.

8 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

I suppose you have to trust your evaluations. Picture the 04 draft: Eli, Rivers, Big Ben. Teams couldnt go wrong with any of these three. So, your second choice is just as good as your first. If you think youre in that situation with this draft, then exploit it. If Dorsey and gang think both Darnold and Baker are gonna be franchise QBs, then the strategy is a winner. If they think theres a significant dropoff from Darnold to Baker, then take Darnold. Jeez you guys are so dam shell-shocked from all the losing, youre afraid of your own shadows.

You’re pointing out the exception to the rule. And in 2004, they weren’t all viewed the same. Most folks had Manning head and shoulders above Ben and ahead of Rivers. Yes, they all turned out great, but you can’t use hindsight on draft day.

It’s not fear, it’s a flawed plan.

7 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You’re pointing out the exception to the rule. And in 2004, they weren’t all viewed the same. Most folks had Manning head and shoulders above Ben and ahead of Rivers. Yes, they all turned out great, but you can’t use hindsight on draft day.

It’s not fear, it’s a flawed plan.

I preferred Rivers and still do. That said, I think fatgermankid is just saying to trade down from #1 only if we have a QB available who we have rated by our guys as 1b in terms of draft value. It makes a lot of sense to me and seems like it could make everyone happy--"get our guy" and "trade down for value" folks--on draft day. 

Again, we only make this trade once we are on the clock at pick #4 and IF we have a 1b QB and IF the compensation is right. 

32 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

I preferred Rivers and still do. That said, I think fatgermankid is just saying to trade down from #1 only if we have a QB available who we have rated by our guys as 1b in terms of draft value. It makes a lot of sense to me and seems like it could make everyone happy--"get our guy" and "trade down for value" folks--on draft day. 

Again, we only make this trade once we are on the clock at pick #4 and IF we have a 1b QB and IF the compensation is right. 

I get it, I’m just not sure why we would want QB1B when we could have 1A and still get a boatload of picks for number 4.

The NFL is 100% a qb driven league.  I want the very best one we can get, not our backup plan.

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

Exactly! Thanks Nude. You get it, bro.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get it, I’m just not sure why we would want QB1B when we could have 1A and still get a boatload of picks for number 4.

The NFL is 100% a qb driven league.  I want the very best one we can get, not our backup plan.

It may come down to a discussion of semantics as far as what is meant by 1A and 1B. Do we mean both are assessed to be franchise quarterbacks; both are worth the #1 pick; both are in the same tier; both are rated equally? 

I will clarify in stating that if I had them both rated on my arbitrary prospect rating system as 9.85/10, I would happily take a boat load of picks to get 1B.

Conversely, if it was determined that any quarterback rated 9.5 or higher would be worth considering a franchise guy (a QB1), it would still matter greatly to me if one was a 9.9 and the other 9.75. That would not equate to 1A and 1B, as one is clearly rated higher than the other.

Archived