Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

27 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Again, that's a nuanced topic and not an accurate representation of what happened in that last season. Jim Tomsula and Chip Kelly with some of the worst rosters in the league isn't a great place to succeed. That's not really the point here though.

He doesn't expect to be a starter. He deserves an opportunity to compete for a roster spot based on talent alone.

Irrespective of the roster (which I do agree was terrible), he still was awful as far as I was concerned.  Still couldn't pass with any accuracy or consistency even with the number of years he had already been in the league.  But, we do also agree that he deserves a chance to compete, and there should be a team that can take the heat by signing him, but no team has been willing to do so, especially considering he's likely only a backup at this point.    

• Like 1

There is no way I would consider signing Kaepernick right now. I loved watching him when he was in the league. He did great things for my fantasy team.

Kaepernick simply does not fit in the NFL right now. Like anyone else without supreme talent in a job that is a privilege, the choice is to try and fit in or not have the job. My job is the same way. I have to adhere to the "organization's culture" or I wouldn't have a job. I am pretty good at what I do but far from irreplaceable so I honor the desired culture. Kaep has a similar choice to most of the rest of it. If he is not happy with his choice and its outcome he just doesn't get it and that is not a guy to bring into a team of any sort.

It is great that Kaepernick has something that he cares about more than football. He should be applauded for that and he has been applauded greatly. That is awesome. I don't know why he isn't happy with that. If he ever decided that he cared more about football, that is fine too but by this point even if he made that change it would be a steep uphill climb for him to get back into the league IMO. With the proper attitude, it could be done. I agree 100% that Kaepernick was not a very good QB when he last played in the league. However, I also agree that he has loads of talent and I believe that with the right attitude and lots of hard work he could get back into the league. Until I see that right attitude, considering him as an option to sign would be a complete nonstarter for me.

• Like 2

From my perspective, I don’t believe Kaepernick actually wants to play football. I think he’s carrying on the circus as a way to keep his name relevant. Kaepernick is not stupid. He knows that the longer his name is out of sight, the more irrelevant he becomes. And for someone trying to shine a light on various causes, irrelevancy is a problem. And the fastest way for Kaepernick to become irrelevant is to be a backup QB on an NFL roster. There is a gigantic spotlight on the NFL in this country. And Kaepernick has found a way to get a part of that spotlight to shine on him and, by association, what he’s advocating. Without the distraction of football.

Kaepernick is responsible for this turning into a circus, and that’s what he wants. If he truly just wanted to play football again, he would have towed the company line. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

From my perspective, I don’t believe Kaepernick actually wants to play football. I think he’s carrying on the circus as a way to keep his name relevant. Kaepernick is not stupid. He knows that the longer his name is out of sight, the more irrelevant he becomes. And for someone trying to shine a light on various causes, irrelevancy is a problem. And the fastest way for Kaepernick to become irrelevant is to be a backup QB on an NFL roster. There is a gigantic spotlight on the NFL in this country. And Kaepernick has found a way to get a part of that spotlight to shine on him and, by association, what he’s advocating. Without the distraction of football.

Kaepernick is responsible for this turning into a circus, and that’s what he wants. If he truly just wanted to play football again, he would have towed the company line. 

He still has a Nike deal so keeping relevant is crucial towards his brand. I don’t know him to question his passion for the game. However, at the end of the day if he was a good QB in a league where you can never have enough, he’d find a niche as a backup.

I don’t think he has the skill set most look for in a backup. Usually you want that backup to step into the offense without having to change the fundamentals of it. I know Greg Roman has never really run a conventional offense nor has it taken the league by storm.

1 minute ago, Torchezim said:

He didn’t even vote. Wouldn’t that be the minimum you could do to try and provide change?

Are you kidding? He didn't vote?

I have always thought that was bare minimum table stakes and a civic duty. I guess nobody needs to vote but I do have trouble taking them seriously if they can't even bother themselves to do that.

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

There is no way I would consider signing Kaepernick right now. I loved watching him when he was in the league. He did great things for my fantasy team.

Kaepernick simply does not fit in the NFL right now. Like anyone else without supreme talent in a job that is a privilege, the choice is to try and fit in or not have the job. My job is the same way. I have to adhere to the "organization's culture" or I wouldn't have a job. I am pretty good at what I do but far from irreplaceable so I honor the desired culture. Kaep has a similar choice to most of the rest of it. If he is not happy with his choice and its outcome he just doesn't get it and that is not a guy to bring into a team of any sort.

It is great that Kaepernick has something that he cares about more than football. He should be applauded for that and he has been applauded greatly. That is awesome. I don't know why he isn't happy with that. If he ever decided that he cared more about football, that is fine too but by this point even if he made that change it would be a steep uphill climb for him to get back into the league IMO. With the proper attitude, it could be done. I agree 100% that Kaepernick was not a very good QB when he last played in the league. However, I also agree that he has loads of talent and I believe that with the right attitude and lots of hard work he could get back into the league. Until I see that right attitude, considering him as an option to sign would be a complete nonstarter for me.

I think the NFL has actually caught up with talent like Kaepernick's.  In his last year in the league, Kaep was in an offense that didn't maximize what he can do.  If he was in Baltimore's and Houston's offense...with all the QB option stuff...I think he could be effective.  Maybe he will never be a pro-bowler or Super Bowl quarterback again.  But, he could be a really good back up in an offense that takes advantage of what he can do, rather than one that tries to make him something he's not.

If I recall correctly, Gabbert got hurt in the season where he replaced Kaepernick as the starter, and Kaep came in and played reasonably well.  Does anyone else remember that, or is my dementia starting early?

43 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Getting close to the politics line here... Again, I would suggest that "he didn't even vote" is misrepresenting what happened and trying to present him as lazy, which is clearly far from the truth.

It has nothing to do with being lazy and crosses a line that we can’t pursue. But I think if you dig hard enough and look into some of the clothing choices he has made, you might be able to figure out where he really stands on the issue.

6 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Said like someone unwilling to look at more than one side of an argument. Others have echoed my sentiments already so I don't need to pile on, but this response reads like someone that hasn't considered anything other his own narrow view of a fairly complex situation. 

Ask yourself this. When has Matt Barkley, David Fales, or Chad Kelly ever shown anything close to what Kaep was able to do in the NFL? Why do those guys deserve to be on an NFL roster over Kaep, from a talent perspective?

They didn’t take 3 years off. And I wasn’t comparing Kaepernick to anyone, just saying that he wasn’t good enough when he was in the NFL anyway. They settled at some point.  I’m not in tune with all of the facts surrounding this case, but everything was settled and decided. Kaepernick got paid and the NFL moved on. Why there was a private workout in the first place is unfair.  

They don’t have a circus following them, and a terrible attitude. Those players could very well be repositioned by Kaepernick, since he does have some sense of talent.  I never said no team would sign him. I expressed an opinionated viewpoint. 

5 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

Getting close to the politics line here... Again, I would suggest that "he didn't even vote" is misrepresenting what happened and trying to present him as lazy, which is clearly far from the truth.

It’s not misrepresenting anything.  It is just a further example of what type of character he has and what his true intentions may be. He certainly doesn’t see too intent on playing football.  NFL did their part by giving him a special workout at all. 

If anyone thinks his intentions aren't to improve the world, I don't understand. You might not like how he wants to do it, but nobody does the many things he's done for any other reasons.

As for the culture thing, seems like a bad culture that is cool with off field violence, dunk driving, beating your kids with sticks, and other things, but not political protest.....

• Like 2

Keeping this on the topic of the Vikings.....

I think he could have a place on a team that many have said before where the QB's mobility fits into the game plan. Kaep's QB skills, the one that would make him a viable player in this league, doesn't fit in the Minnesota offense. Also, he has a personality that doesn't fit with this team. Kaep is a HUGE "look at me" personality. Something the Vikings have none of on this team. Diggs is the closest but outside of (probably justified) complaining about the offense, he's not one to want to be the center of attention 24/7 on and off the field. Just a personality that doesn't fit the Minnesota locker room. 

On a more broad sense, does anyone actually think Kaep will be your typical backup QB making $3 million a year to silently hold a clipboard as the invisible man in the shadows waiting for the QB1 to land on his shoulder wrong or Peterman the first half of a game? I mean he couldn't even show up to an already circus of a "try out" without a stunt to get people to say "OMG! Look at the shirt Kaep wore at the workout!" when he could have easily sported the gear Nike pays for him to endorse.

I think most....if not ALL NFL teams realize that Kaep probably won't be like 28 other backups (the backup QBs hired to be backups....the Sean Mannion's of the league) in the league and essentially be "seen, not heard until they get on the field." How long before he starts speaking up about it being unfair about not being a starter if the QB1 has a couple bad games? Or if he does become a starter, how long before it's about him not getting paid fairly? Or what if he does start then gets benched after a poor performance or two? 

I mean he's no stranger to throwing out a certain "R" word when in a battle with the NFL as it is. One mention of that word towards the team he's on for whatever reason and that team is suddenly in a P.R. nightmare. Even if something like not starting or a benching is deserved, you're going to potentially have hundreds of thousands of people claiming that team is holding him back because of his previous actions on the field and more recently against the NFL.

He's just not a guy who I see being a "good soldier" and falling in line. And there's really nothing wrong with that in the least. He's done a lot of good for himself and more importantly others by not being that person but on the flip side, how many teams want a media circus around their backup QB? How many coaches want to stand on the podium every post-game and field questions about their backup QB after the QB1 just went for 285/3/0? Or if the QB1 struggles, answering questions when Kaepernick will start?

I'd like to see him get a shot just so we can finally say "OK, he's truly not good enough" or "OK, he's playing well. It really was more than him not being a good QB." and hopefully finally move the heck on from all of this whether it's letting him fade away or talking about his play on Sundays rather than stupid tryouts, shirts, and lawsuits.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 1