Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

11 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I mean, he can be, but it won't happen. Just another way of stashing a player without another team being able to snag him. He can work out, and be in the facility being able to learn a little more also. Won't be practicing tho.

He can be? I am not so sure about that...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/02/players-placed-on-injured-reserve-today-arent-eligible-for-a-return/

11 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

They aren't eligible to return at all the entire year, but they can still be around the team (attending meetings, weights) even if they can't practice.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Does this mean That Hodges is likely to have his contract bought out and given his release when he is fully recovered, so he can sign with another team, because he can't be brought back this season?  I would hate to see The Vikings lose him.  I think he has the makings of being a quality receiving tight end.  I don't know if he'll always be one-dimensional, or he could add strength and bulk, and learn good blocking technique, and become a good all-around TE.  But, The Vikings need more tall, sure-handed targets, who can run routes well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Robb_K said:

Does this mean That Hodges is likely to have his contract bought out and given his release when he is fully recovered, so he can sign with another team, because he can't be brought back this season?  I would hate to see The Vikings lose him.  I think he has the makings of being a quality receiving tight end.  I don't know if he'll always be one-dimensional, or he could add strength and bulk, and learn good blocking technique, and become a good all-around TE.  But, The Vikings need more tall, sure-handed targets, who can run routes well.

Hard to say. The question I was answering was about IR designated to return. That is not possible. Beyond that, there are some options. One is to leave him on IR all season. As @disaacs mentioned above they have still learn some things and bulk up while on IR. Another is to reach an injury settlement and release him. He can be brought back to the roster after he is released with an injury settlement but not for some time. In that time there is a decent chance another team would sign him to their PS.

Edited by Cearbhall

52 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Hard to say. The question I was answering was about IR designated to return. That is not possible. Beyond that, there are some potions. One is to leave him on IR all season. As @disaacs mentioned above they have still learn some things and bulk up while on IR. Another is to reach an injury settlement and release him. He can be brought back to the roster after he is released with an injury settlement but not for some time. In that time there is a decent chance another team would sign him to their PS.

That's what I feared.  I don't want him lost.

The Vikings reached an injury settlement with defensive lineman Datone Jones and released him off injured reserve, according to ESPN’s Field Yates. The move was expected after the Vikings placed him on injured reserve Saturday. Jones, 27, was dealing with a shoulder injury.

Minnesota will take a $1.6 million cap hit.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/09/08/vikings-cut-datone-jones-off-injured-reserve/

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Jones was a massive disappointment. 

he just didn't have the skill set to be an interior pass rusher. I'm not sure what his position is or what weight he needs to be at to be successful.

i thought he could have replaced Tom Johnson, didn't work out.

i think we're fine at DT, I just hope we see Jaleel Johnson starting ASAP.

if Johnson does emerge as a starter, we'd have 4 rookies starting despite no first round pick. Such a shift compared to the last two drafts where we've not gotten much impact from yet.

I think Jones has the skill set, he just didn't put forth the effort. 

I thought Jones would come into the locker room with a chip on his shoulder and a desire to prove what he was capable of doing. But from reports it appeared that he had a very nonchalant, lackadaisical attitude and approach to his new position. 

But, sometimes there are just those players who either don't know how to push themselves to get better, or they have the entitled attitude that they should just have something given to them. I think Jones was expecting to just be handed a spot in the rotation, and he didn't work to earn it. 

Edited by SemperFeist

In previous years, the Vikings often have elected their captains by a vote of players. This season, the choice was made by head coach Mike Zimmer. Selected as captains by Zimmer were quarterback Sam Bradford, tight end Kyle Rudolph, tackle Riley Reiff, defensive ends Everson Griffen and Brian Robison and cornerback Terence Newman. That’s three on offense and three on defense.

Rudolph, Griffen and Robison are holdover captains from last season.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/09/09/vikings-coach-mike-zimmer-chooses-6-captains-3-on-offense-3-on-defense/

The Heinicke experiment is over...

Lost in the excitement of opening night for the Minnesota Vikings was the news that they had officially waived a player that, at one point, was thought to have a bright future with the team.

The Vikings officially waived quarterback Taylor Heinicke with an injury settlement on Monday.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2017/9/12/16296654/minnesota-vikings-waive-taylor-heinicke-injury-settlement