Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And they only need around $3M for the draft class....so, they still have some money to bring in some minor free agents.  

Still need a kicker and you've got to bring back at least one guard (Easton or Compton). Aldrick Robinson probably needs to return too. There's your $4m.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

While I doubt it would happen, because OT's get paid, would anyone be opposed to bringing Kalil in on a veteran minimum contract? Maybe see if he could be a swing tackle? He's had no wear and tear on him the last season...

I wouldn't mind having someone with his starting experience there. But, I also wouldn't pay him much more than the minimum on a one-year deal. 

15 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

While I doubt it would happen, because OT's get paid, would anyone be opposed to bringing Kalil in on a veteran minimum contract? Maybe see if he could be a swing tackle? He's had no wear and tear on him the last season...

I wouldn't mind having someone with his starting experience there. But, I also wouldn't pay him much more than the minimum on a one-year deal. 

Rashod Hill is a better swing tackle. 

Rashod Hill is a better tackle in general. 

Matt Kalil should probably retire.

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Outside of Paradis, there was no upgrade that was feasible through free agency with the money that was thrown around at overly average, and below average players. anyway

I would have been happy to give Saffold the contract that he ended up signing with the Titans. I would have even increased it a little if that was required to pry him away.

Other than that, I would have been willing to beat the package the Raiders received in the trade for Osemele. Rick Spielman just isn't willing in invest market cost into direly needed improvements on something (O-Line) that has been an immediate need for a long, long time. He may be out of options and if so he should be out of time in Minnesota. He better be on the horn seeing who else is available in trade.

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Other than that, I would have been willing to beat the package the Raiders received in the trade for Osemele

While there's no knowing that they didn't try, I agree, they should have been in the discussion for Osemele and beating that offer shouldn't have been difficult

18 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I would have been happy to give Saffold the contract that he ended up signing with the Titans. I would have even increased it a little if that was required to pry him away.

Other than that, I would have been willing to beat the package the Raiders received in the trade for Osemele. Rick Spielman just isn't willing in invest market cost into direly needed improvements on something (O-Line) that has been an immediate need for a long, long time. He may be out of options and if so he should be out of time in Minnesota. He better be on the horn seeing who else is available in trade.

"Market Cost" in a very poor market. Saffold was the big name, but he's going to be 31 before the start of the season; i'd have a hard time offering market cost to someone at that point of their career unless i was re-signing my own player... high priced free agency hasn't shown to be an effective fix more times than not.

I too would have traded for Osemele but that would have required them to absolutely let go of Anthony Barr, get a restructure done with Griffen sooner, and potentially other moves. Perhaps the Raiders wanted to make a deal sooner rather than later? Some of those things we will just never know.

I'm not sure how people can continue to say that Spielman isn't willing to offer market cost with the free agent signings he's made on the offensive line going back to Alex Boone. He's dove into free agency, and had the opportunity to see how poorly it's generally worked.

2016 - Boone
2017 - Reiff / Remmers

That's three good chunks of change invested in the offensive line the last four years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I too would have traded for Osemele but that would have required them to absolutely let go of Anthony Barr, get a restructure done with Griffen sooner, and potentially other moves. Perhaps the Raiders wanted to make a deal sooner rather than later? Some of those things we will just never know.

Not necessarily (I think).  Since Barr is waiting to actually sign so the team can work out the cap situation, i might have been possible to still sign Barr, trade for Osemele, restructure Griffen and cut/restructure Rudy.

Timing obviously at the time would have been tricky since they basically would have done the deal with Barr (post a hypothetical trade for Osemele) knowing they could be cutting two team leaders.

Balancing all of these moving parts in real time however make it difficult to be overly critical for them not making the deal

7 minutes ago, RpMc said:

"Market Cost" in a very poor market. Saffold was the big name, but he's going to be 31 before the start of the season; i'd have a hard time offering market cost to someone at that point of their career unless i was re-signing my own player... high priced free agency hasn't shown to be an effective fix more times than not.

I'm not sure how people can continue to say that Spielman isn't willing to offer market cost with the free agent signings he's made on the offensive line going back to Alex Boone. He's dove into free agency, and had the opportunity to see how poorly it's generally worked.

2016 - Boone
2017 - Reiff / Remmers

That's three good chunks of change invested in the offensive line the last four years.

Right, Spielman made has made poor choices to this point regarding building up the offensive line. I make no bones about that.

As far as Saffold, his age doesn't bother me much because I never viewed him as anything more than a placeholder while the team looked to the draft for longer term solutions.

As far as letting Barr go to get Osemele, that wouldn't have held me back. The team would have received third round level compensatory considerations. Fixing the offensive line is a far higher priority than LB. But if we are talking about Osemele I would have just signed him when he was a free agent instead of signing Boone. But Spielman was unwilling to pay as much as the Raiders were willing to pay Osemele. You see, you have to be careful when paying guys. Giving the money to Boone was a poor choice. Giving the money to Osemele would have been a good choice and I was beating the table for Osemele (somewhere else on the Internet) when he was a free agent. I was not beating the table for the consolation prize.

That is why I am saying Rick needs to solve the problem via trade now. I am not going to beat the table for any of the remaining free agents. Rick already blew that. He shoudln't pay for the consolation prizes.

He's made "market value" moves that you've been calling for. There hasn't really been an example of an expensive free agent offensive lineman changing teams in recent memory that has ended up working out well for the team signing them away from their original team.

Saffold a placeholder? Good luck selling that to him and getting him to sign with you (Saffold also wanted to be in Nashville from reports). 11M APY for a placeholder? Can't say that I agree with that. You're signing a player like Saffold, and paying that kind of money, because you expect them to a key piece. Signing him for that much money, for any other reason, is a complete misuse of resources.

Letting Barr go would have "potentially" netted the team a 3rd round compensatory pick one year from now, and Osemele hasn't been the same player he was before he signed with Oakland, and missed 5 games last year with a knee injury. He would absolutely be an upgrade, but I'm not heart broken for missing out on an aging player coming off of his worst season. A lot of us were banging the table for KO that offseason.

8 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Letting Barr go would have "potentially" netted the team a 3rd round compensatory pick one year from now,

The picks traded for Osemele would have also made it difficult to draft Barr's replacement.

Particularly because you would now be leaning into one of this drafts weaknesses (LB) instead of it's strengths (IOL). Meaning your more strained for draft capital while also having to more urgently address a position that may be difficult to address in this years draft.

I want OL improvement too, but dont lose the forest.

Edited by Dolmonite26