Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

2 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

Is it time to get the Herculus hype train rolling? 

I had posted Zimmer's comments on him here...

But, I'd like to say, at least going into training camp, he's the favorite to fill the Brian Robison role, being a backup at both DE and DT.  

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If he can maintain that 275 limit he can be a passing down DT. Also, if hit 280/285 can possibly be a 3 down DT. Aaron Donald played at 280 and ED Oliver after packing on weight for the draft is 287. He's a pure football player so no matter his size I hope he finds a spot on the roster. 

Edited by dc_vikingfan

Just now, vike daddy said:

Oof, didn't he have some key clutch misses? so now he's coaching our kickers on how to not have key clutch misses? hmm...

Who better to help a kicker deal with a key miss than a guy who will know exactly what what they are going through? 

38 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Oof, didn't he have some key clutch misses? so now he's coaching our kickers on how to not have key clutch misses? hmm...

The best players rarely make the best coaches. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vike daddy said:

@Boltstrikes

@The LBC

@Duffman57

Oh this is funny. Never thought I’d hear his name again. He was a phenomenal kicker in the regular season but yea playoffs came and he’d fall apart. He never really recovered after that. It’s a coin flip on coaching... I mean how much coaching does a professional kicker need?

8 hours ago, Boltstrikes said:

. I mean how much coaching does a professional kicker need?

That's the kind of thinking that led to the need for this in the first place. 

And it's not really just about the kicker...I imagine that Kaeding can help too with the whole system...from long snapper to holder to kicker.  Being a kicker, he knows how the system should work and should be able to provide an objective look from the visual perspective as to what some issues might be...at least from a more educated perspective than just a ST coach or other offensive/defensive coaches who have never actually done it before.  

12 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Can we throw him on the roster in a pinch? 😂

I don't think that would be allowed. There have been other teams that have considered something similar. It is looked at as a loophole to skirt roster limits if it was allowed.

Most recently, this discussion came up related to Terrance Newman last year. IIRC, if the team wanted to be able to use Kaeding on roster at any point in the year they would have to leave a roster spot open for him throughout the year so he didn't have the benefit of being at the team's practices while they had 53 rostered players there.

A team is not going to go with a 52 man roster just to have the option of using a kicking coach as a kicker at some point in the season. It is easier to simply go out and sign someone else that is on the street.

I am not going to dig into it, but I think you'll find some details if you look back the the Newman discussions last year after he retired as a player.