Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

17 minutes ago, Robb_K said:

So, Rudolph's and Reiff's 2019 Cap Hits added together make Williams' total.  So, it could be a perfect trade.  If The Redskins don't want Rudolph, Reiff plus a draft choice would require a contract restructuring for Williams, which he should want, IF he really wants to leave Washington (which, I believe, he DOES).

Although I believe that The Vikings want to keep Rudolph for one more year, I'm sure they'd give him up a year early, to get Williams.

I'd rather keep Rudolph for 1-2 more years just because history shows tight ends need a couple years of development and Rudy, while not flashy, it's amazingly reliable. 

Buuuuuuuuuut, you're getting a top-3 LT in return. I'd rather 5 years of Williams than 1-2 of Rudy at TE, a luxury position. 

42 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'd rather keep Rudolph for 1-2 more years just because history shows tight ends need a couple years of development and Rudy, while not flashy, it's amazingly reliable. 

Buuuuuuuuuut, you're getting a top-3 LT in return. I'd rather 5 years of Williams than 1-2 of Rudy at TE, a luxury position. 

I'd think the Vikes would have to throw in a second round pick. Can't imagine the Redskins will just give him away, especially for a mediocre 30 year old TE who wants a long term contract. 

Williams is interesting but the compensation might just be too rich. If Zimmer and Spielman are fighting for their jobs this season, I could certainly see a bold move being made like when they went out and got Bradford.

12 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd think the Vikes would have to throw in a second round pick. Can't imagine the Redskins will just give him away, especially for a mediocre 30 year old TE who wants a long term contract. 

Williams is interesting but the compensation might just be too rich. If Zimmer and Spielman are fighting for their jobs this season, I could certainly see a bold move being made like when they went out and got Bradford.

That's what I'm thinking. Reiff & Rudolph don't help them much.

I'd be fine with giving up a single 2nd and a 6th or 7th or something like a 3rd & 5th. Not giving a 1st or 2nd+3rd.

If he was 28....I'd hand over a first on a golden platter but at 31 come season....nah man. The 2nd for 4-5 years of an elite LT is a price I'd pay especially given our current window.

I don't know their CB situation but maybe Waynes interests them?

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
Unneeded apostrophe

If Washington trades Trent Williams, they need a LT in return. They don't have any other good options for the position -- their excellent backup swing tackle Ty Nsekhe signed as a free agent in Buffalo this year. Unless they add another tackle, they'll have to play Ereck Flowers or Geron Christian at LT, not good news, especially if they're hoping to have Haskins start as a rookie. Jay Gruden is also coaching for his job, so you can bet Washington will be motivated to find a good veteran in return for any trade, not just futures. 

When an NFL contract is traded, the team who acquires the player only has to pay the salary and future bonuses (for instance, roster bonuses in each year) on the existing contract. The signing bonus stays with the team who traded the player away, as a dead cap hit (with whatever amount still needs to be prorated). 

Williams' contract (https://overthecap.com/player/trent-williams/1466/) has 2 years left with salaries of $11M and $12.5M, plus roster bonuses of $250K per year. That means his cap hit for the Vikings if they acquired him would be $11.25M for 2019 and $12.75M for 2020. Washington would eat $5.4M in dead cap from trading him away, opening up $9.3M in cap space. 

Reiff's contract (https://overthecap.com/player/riley-reiff/1068/) has 3 years left, with salaries of $9.4M, $10.9M and $11.65M, plus yearly workout bonuses of $100K. That means Washington would have cap hits for Reiff of $9.5M, $11M and $11.75M for the next years. The Vikings would eat $6.6M in dead cap from trading Reiff right now, opening up $5.1M in cap space.

So the contracts are a pretty good match. A trade would be more or less cap neutral for Washington (slightly higher cap hit this year, slightly less next year, then the 3rd year of $11.75M for which Williams isn't currently under contract. From the Vikings perspective, they'd need to open up $6.1M to add Williams this year (the $5.1M in cap space opened up from trading Reiff is $6.1M short of the cap hit for Williams in 2019). The move would be cap neutral in 2020 (removing Reiff's current cap hit of $13.2M in 2020, replacing it with Williams' $12.75M). 

The $6.1M in cap space the Vikings would have to open up this year would make it more likely that they would trade Rudolph, as a cap casualty. I doubt Washington would be too excited about taking Rudolph. They probably want a pick along with Reiff. A 3rd rounder in 2020 with a conditional day 3 pick in 2021 would be fair. The Vikings could turn around and trade Rudolph for a similar draft pick return to a different team, opening up the cap space. 

The other option for the Vikings to open up that cap space would be to make the trade conditional on renegotiating Williams' contract. They could guarantee him more money on say a 3 year extension (effectively a 5 year deal), while lowering his cap hit just this year (pushing money into 2021 and beyond). Moving that money around, along with  renegotiating existing contracts like Hunter and Diggs, could open up the necessary room. 

• Like 3

There was little doubt from the moment he became a first-round pick, and there is no doubt now. Rookie first-rounder Garrett Bradbury will become the Vikings’ starting center. Immediately after the Vikings selected Bradbury with the 18th overall pick, some thought that Bradbury would play guard, and that Pat Elflein would remain at center. It has since become clear that Bradbury will indeed play center, and that Elflein will move.

Gary Kubiak:  “Oh yeah, that is where he’s going to be, and hopefully he will stay there for a long time. He is doing great, for a rookie to be put in there at center from Day One, it’s hard on him. But he is doing a good job. Pat has moved over to left guard and been a big-time pro, stepped in there and working really hard. The guys are working good together.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/06/09/vikings-install-rookie-garrett-bradbury-as-starting-center/

10 hours ago, Krauser said:

The other option for the Vikings to open up that cap space would be to make the trade conditional on renegotiating Williams' contract. They could guarantee him more money on say a 3 year extension (effectively a 5 year deal), while lowering his cap hit just this year (pushing money into 2021 and beyond).

That would make me very nervous for a 30 year old OT, who hasn’t played a full season since 2013. 

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Immediately after the Vikings selected Bradbury with the 18th overall pick, some thought that Bradbury would play guard, and that Pat Elflein would remain at center. It has since become clear that Bradbury will indeed play center, and that Elflein will move.

Really!? Who thought this, other than maybe Florio? 

The fact that the Vikings have never referred to Bradbury as anything other than a center should have been his first obvious clue. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That would make me very nervous for a 30 year old OT, who hasn’t played a full season since 2013. 

He’s missed a few games every year. No more than 6 in a single season, total of 16 games missed in 5 years. 

Reiff has only played one full season since 2013, and has missed 7 games in 5 years. 

Williams has been to 7 consecutive Pro Bowls, and was a 1st team All Pro twice, and 2nd team once more. He is an athletic freak (4.81 40 and 34” vert at 315 pounds at the combine). Reiff is a mediocre athlete for the position and has never won an award. 

They’re the same age, turning 31 this year (Reiff is 5 months younger). Reiff is under contract for 3 more years, though the Vikings can fairly easily get out of that deal starting next year. Williams in this scenario would be signed for 5 years, 3 of them more or less guaranteed by the contract structure.

Tackles are often good into their mid-30s. I’m not sure what Williams’ medical history is, but if there are no long-term issues, it’d be hard to pass up the chance of acquiring a tackle who’s as good as anyone in the league, and may continue to be for several more years. 

• Like 3

Obviously, Trent Williams is experienced in zone-blocking, since that's the scheme he started under when he was drafted by the Shanahan regime.  But, how much of it did Gruden keep?  I don't really know, since I haven't followed Washington all that closely.

Trent Williams is arguably the best LT in football today.  If the Vikings could swing that trade with Rudolph,Reiff and maybe a future 2nd round pick, the price would be worth it.  If Elflein could rely on Bradbury to his right and Williams to his left he has a chance at being a pretty decent LG.  This would also end the argument of moving O'Brian to LT for the foreseeable future.  He is developing into a pretty decent RT.  If Klein then holds his own at RG the offensive line is suddenly no longer a liability.  How refreshing would that be to Viking fans??

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

Trent Williams is arguably the best LT in football today.  If Elflein could rely on Bradbury to his right and Williams to his left he has a chance at being a pretty decent LG. 

It'd be HUGE especially with him learning a "new" position in the pros.

I mean even in our every day jobs, don't we all work better when we know the people working next to us is doing his part and you don't have to pick up their slack.

Honestly, Rick should do this. Him and Zim's careers don't extend to 2021 if the Vikings don't make a good playoff run. We can get by without a 2nd rounder next year.

• Like 3

It will be interesting to see what happens once the pads are on in August. 

I don’t think Bebe is versatile enough (slot only player) to be the primary WR3.

Taylor is intriguing, but this will be his 5th year in the NFL so I don’t really expect any more from him as I do Treadwell. 

Not sure where Badet is on the current depth chart, but he’s probably the one WR I’m the most intrigued with

23 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:
It will be interesting to see what happens once the pads are on in August. 

I don’t think Bebe is versatile enough (slot only player) to be the primary WR3.

Taylor is intriguing, but this will be his 5th year in the NFL so I don’t really expect any more from him as I do Treadwell. 

Not sure where Badet is on the current depth chart, but he’s probably the one WR I’m the most intrigued with

It might be asking a little bit much, since both are rookies, but I'd love to see Mitchell or Johnson take hold of the third spot. 

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

It might be asking a little bit much, since both are rookies, but I'd love to see Mitchell or Johnson take hold of the third spot. 

I just want one of them to make the roster first. I think that's going to be Mitchell.

Wes Welker was a slot only guy. Same with Amendola and Agholor. Why can't Beebe do it too?

• Like 2