Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

29 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The NFL has suspended Vikings running back Roc Thomas for three games for violation of the league’s substance abuse policy. He is allowed to participate in training camp and the preseason.

Thomas admitted to felony marijuana possession in May but was sentenced to probation, with the charge dismissed if he completes conditions of the probationary term. Those include a chemical dependency evaluation and possible treatment; no alcohol or drug use; and random testing.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/16/nfl-suspends-roc-thomas-three-games/

I'm wondering if this really takes him out of the running.  I don't think they keep 4 again.  Cook, Mattison,  Boone

42 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

I'm wondering if this really takes him out of the running.  I don't think they keep 4 again.  Cook, Mattison,  Boone

No sense in keeping him around if you can't count on him to be available. 3rd or 4th RB's aren't that hard to come by. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

No sense in keeping him around if you can't count on him to be available. 3rd or 4th RB's aren't that hard to come by. 

I agree but there is also not much motivation to cut him before his suspension is over. The team doesn't have to pay him any of his minimum salary until he is actually on the roster for a week during the season. He won't count against the roster limit until the suspension is over either. So, I hold him around in case something happens to a RB during the first three weeks. If the RBs come through week three healthy they can make their decision on who to cut then.  And at that point, I agree that there is no sense in keeping a reserve RB that is in the program and can be suspended again after any failed test.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cearbhall said:

I agree but there is also not much motivation to cut him before his suspension is over. The team doesn't have to pay him any of his minimum salary until he is actually on the roster for a week during the season. He won't count against the roster limit until the suspension is over either. So, I hold him around in case something happens to a RB during the first three weeks. If the RBs come through week three healthy they can make their decision on who to cut then.  And at that point, I agree that there is no sense in keeping a reserve RB that is in the program and can be suspended again after any failed test.

My thoughts as well

I agree with @Cearbhall and @vikesfan89.  He'll pseudo-make the team solely because he's on suspension.  But, then if everyone comes out healthy, they'll release him once his suspension is over.  I'm not even sure he'd make the team even without the suspension, because he was already behind Boone and then when they re-signed Abdullah and drafted Mattison, that pretty much signaled his departure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Obviously, this is deeply important to the Wilfs, but it's also nice to see that they brought some current and former Vikings (Shiancoe and Tony Richardson) with them...

https://www.vikings.com/video/current-former-vikings-and-mark-wilf-visit-u-s-holocaust-memorial-museum

I think this was great.  I know many organizations, in and out of sports, don't want to be seen as "political," but creating awareness of social injustices, and asking this generation to use their voices for justice is the right thing to do.  This trip seems like it was thoughtful and impactful.  Well done.

For the second time this year, Vikings cornerback Holton Hill has been suspended four games by the NFL.

Hill was previously suspended four games for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancing substances, and today multiple reports say Hill has been suspended an additional four games for violating the NFL policy on substances of abuse.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/23/vikings-holton-hill-gets-his-second-four-game-suspension-of-the-year/

Definitely no trading of Waynes or Rhodes with the lack of depth now for half the season.