Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

17 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Or put him in on pass plays too. Pass plays need blockers as well. In a two TE set it is common to have one TE that excels at receiving and the other the excels at blocking even on pass plays. Even if they pass it just 40% of the time when Morgan is in on a 2 TE set it is enough to keep the other team off balance with it.

I agree, rarely are both TEs going out for a pass and usually one sicks around and blocks or chips and goes out for a short pass.  I feel it is a non issue and does not hint at anything especially if the Vikings base formation will be two TEs which would be awesome!

Morgan was out week 3 (Bills game) last year, then came back and played until he got hurt in the Lions game before the bye. Coming out of the bye, he was out for 4 weeks (the stretch where they went 1-3 and JDF got fired), then was questionable for the Dolphins game, before playing the last 2 weeks. 

Morgan was mostly used as a blocker, only ran routes on 40 of his 231 snaps. And most of that was run blocking, 141 snaps vs 50 pass blocking (so the “tell” with him in the game was about 65-35 run plays).

PFF had graded him very highly for 2017, especially as a run blocker, but in 2018 he only had 2 positively graded games, week 2 (at GB) and 4 (Rams), and was otherwise mediocre to poorly graded. Two of his games at the end of the year (coming back from injury) were his worst.

He was targeted 5 times in his first 4 games (through the Eagles game) and caught all 4. His catch in week 1 against the Nincer was a really nice grab in traffic on a rollout in the red zone, IIRC. Only had one target after week 6, an incompletion in the Saints game.

Morgan didn’t participate in OTAs or minicamp. Tom Pelissero reported in June that he’d “recently” had arthroscopic surgery done, but would be ready for training camp:

Evidently there’s been some setback in Morgan’s recovery, as we’re now nearly a month since camp opened and he hasn’t even been doing on-field rehab. One of the DN bloggers made this observation after the last day of camp practice:

This isn’t performance related, but it is related to possible future performance. If I had to guess, I think David Morgan starts the season on the PUP list but Mike Hughes doesn’t. I haven’t seen Morgan do anything but watch practice throughout camp. Hughes looks like he’s getting closer and closer each time he works with the trainers. I don’t know if Hughes will be back Week 1, but I think he’ll be back well before Week 7, which is the earliest he could return if he starts the season on PUP. Morgan doesn’t look like he’ll be ready anytime soon.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/8/16/20809336/minnesota-vikings-training-camp-august-16-day-16-recap

I don’t think there’s a realistic chance Morgan is ready to play week one if he’s not even running yet. If he does start on PUP, earliest he could come back would be after week 6 (starting in week 7, he’d have 6 weeks to start practicing with the team, after which there’d be 4 weeks for him to be put on the active roster). Most likely he’d be out at least until week 8 or 9 in that scenario, if he can recover.

Given that Morgan almost certainly won’t get extended, and the rest of the TE depth chart looks strong without him, we may have already seen his last game in purple.

• Like 2

According to the NFL Players Association,  the Vikings gained $280,000 of salary-cap room after last Sunday’s trade for kicker-punter Kaare Vedvik and the subsequent release of long snapper Kevin McDermott. With the long snapper job going to rookie Austin Cutting, who has a cap number of $513,644, the Vikings have $4,424,845 million of cap room.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/17/vikings-rookie-guard-dru-samia-learning-to-curb-some-aggressiveness-in-favor-of-technique/

11 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

According to the NFL Players Association,  the Vikings gained $280,000 of salary-cap room after last Sunday’s trade for kicker-punter Kaare Vedvik and the subsequent release of long snapper Kevin McDermott. With the long snapper job going to rookie Austin Cutting, who has a cap number of $513,644, the Vikings have $4,424,845 million of cap room.

https://www.twincities.com/2019/08/17/vikings-rookie-guard-dru-samia-learning-to-curb-some-aggressiveness-in-favor-of-technique/

Cap space right now is calculated using the top 51 rule.

On cutdown day, all 53 contracts on the roster count, plus the practice squad, plus any dead money. They’d actually be a little over the cap if they kept the 53 most expensive players. 

They’ll almost certainly end up releasing several of the players currently in their top 51. At this point, that’s any contract over $600K — a list that includes one player who likely will be cut (De’Angelo Henderson) and several more who might be (Collins, Dozier, Isidora, Jones, Taylor, Morgan, Brothers, Benewikere, Bailey, Wile, etc). Releasing Treadwell would save about $650K, while trading him would save $2.5M so they will be looking for a trade. 

They will want to have a million or two of space when the season opens since players going to IR and PUP also count against the cap (an argument for waiving Morgan instead of putting him on IR). And as injuries crop up they’ll want to be able to add a player or two during the year. 

• Like 5

Sunday started out with reports that the Minnesota Vikings had gotten some interest in a potential trade for wide receiver Laquon Treadwell, specifically from the New York Giants. Following a pretty solid performance in the Vikings’ 25-19 victory over the Seattle Seahawksat U.S. Bank Stadium, head coach Mike Zimmer may have confirmed the Vikings’ intentions as well.

Treadwell, the Vikings’ first-round pick in 2016, appears to be falling behind on the wide receiver depth chart. He hasn’t seen much time with the first-string offense this preseason, but had a decent performance on Sunday night, catching several passes from Kyle Sloter in the second half.

(Based on a Zimmer quote that Arif tweeted)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/8/18/20811722/mike-zimmer-minnesota-vikings-showcasing-laquon-treadwell

6 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Sunday started out with reports that the Minnesota Vikings had gotten some interest in a potential trade for wide receiver Laquon Treadwell, specifically from the New York Giants. Following a pretty solid performance in the Vikings’ 25-19 victory over the Seattle Seahawksat U.S. Bank Stadium, head coach Mike Zimmer may have confirmed the Vikings’ intentions as well.

Treadwell, the Vikings’ first-round pick in 2016, appears to be falling behind on the wide receiver depth chart. He hasn’t seen much time with the first-string offense this preseason, but had a decent performance on Sunday night, catching several passes from Kyle Sloter in the second half.

(Based on a Zimmer quote that Arif tweeted)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2019/8/18/20811722/mike-zimmer-minnesota-vikings-showcasing-laquon-treadwell

It would be great if we were able to trade him to the Giants. Their WR situation is fairly dire. It speaks well of Laquan Treadwell that his former OC would be interested in coaching him again. Not that we ever suspected an attitude problem with Laquan, but it also means that a coach that has seen him up close in practice believes he can get useful production out of him. I hope that the Giants trade for him and Treadwell gets his career on track in New York. That would be a fantastic win for all three entities involved.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

It would be great if we were able to trade him to the Giants. Their WR situation is fairly dire. It speaks well of Laquan Treadwell that his former OC would be interested in coaching him again. Not that we ever suspected an attitude problem with Laquan, but it also means that a coach that has seen him up close in practice believes he can get useful production out of him. I hope that the Giants trade for him and Treadwell gets his career on track in New York. That would be a fantastic win for all three entities involved.

For 2019 here is his salary:

$1,804,770 Base salary

$3,161,132 Cap Hit

$2,506,362 Dead Cap

It would be great to trade him to New York but what for a 7th rounder if that?  Only reason the Vikings do this is because of the money and the fact they have very little of it.  Chad Beebe has great promise but has not proven himself in live action much and Brandon Zylstra I cannot imagine he would be that much better than Treadwell anyway.  Johnson is not better than Treadwell either outside of his return skills.  If they want to go with Zylstra as a big body WR great but Treadwell I feel is more athletic and has more upside than Zylstra.  He seems to have a little bit of a fire under him and is playing more confident with better body language as well.  If they trade him great but honestly I would keep him at least for this season because he looks like he could provide some things those others cannot.  Heck he is playing special teams as a gunner, is stronger than those other guys as well and when locked in is better potentially.  Trading him away for nothing not sure that is a win win situation unless again they just need the cash.

On 8/18/2019 at 10:28 AM, Krauser said:

Cap space right now is calculated using the top 51 rule.

On cutdown day, all 53 contracts on the roster count, plus the practice squad, plus any dead money. They’d actually be a little over the cap if they kept the 53 most expensive players. 

They’ll almost certainly end up releasing several of the players currently in their top 51. At this point, that’s any contract over $600K — a list that includes one player who likely will be cut (De’Angelo Henderson) and several more who might be (Collins, Dozier, Isidora, Jones, Taylor, Morgan, Brothers, Benewikere, Bailey, Wile, etc). Releasing Treadwell would save about $650K, while trading him would save $2.5M so they will be looking for a trade. 

They will want to have a million or two of space when the season opens since players going to IR and PUP also count against the cap (an argument for waiving Morgan instead of putting him on IR). And as injuries crop up they’ll want to be able to add a player or two during the year. 

If that is the case then sure trade him to get that $2.5M, but if one is just looking at on the field play trading him would be stupid because what they will get is what a 7th rounder at best?  The play is to save that money because on the field trading him does not make sense when he looks to be more locked in this preseason, Zimmer must really hate the guy if they do indeed do it.  

PS I would hate for them to cut Isidora, Jones or Dozier, no way that happens.  Taylor yes, Collins yes, Brothers yes...

McDermott sounds like a class act all the way. I wish him well.

As for Treadwell, I wish I could say I'm going to miss him but he was a huge draft prospect who underachieved and spent three seasons floating in a sort of limbo where he was just good enough to stick around, not good enough to make consistent contributions to the team. Every mention of his name elicited a wince, a sigh, and thoughts of when they were going to move on from him already. I really hope this is the time. The Giants are a rebuilding team with a lot of upside and I think they'll give Treadwell the fresh start he needs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Trading him away for nothing not sure that is a win win situation unless again they just need the cash.

The cash is a large component of what the Vikings would be getting out of the trade. But it isn't as much this year as it would have been if they were able to unload him last year. An even more valuable commodity that they would be gaining is a roster spot for a guy that might or might not develop for them. By now, I have put down all hope in the Vikings being able to develop Treadwell. It would be great for Treadwell if another team's coaching staff was able to develop him. I have my doubts though. The Vikings have been pretty good at developing WRs during Treadwell's time on the team. They have turned an UDFA and 5th round pick into upper echelon starting WRs. Sometimes, a guy just needs a change as different things work for different people. I wish Treadwell the best of luck. I just don't want the Vikings devoting a roster spot to him -- or the cap space.

But I get the concern about the Vikings WR depth. It is pretty scary behind the top two. I am personally a big Zylstra fan, but that is mostly because he went to the same college from which I graduated. The Cobbers just don't have many players making the Vikings. It has been since Gary Larsen.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

PS I would hate for them to cut Isidora, Jones or Dozier, no way that happens. 

Almost a guarantee that at least one of the three will be cut, as long as everyone's healthy. Including Samia and the 3 starters, that'd be 7 IOL -- one or two too many. 

A month ago I would've suggested cutting Jones and having the C depth be Elflein (sliding over with a backup G coming in) and Isidora (who played a little C last preseason). But Elflein has been bad and Jones has been very good, so I think it comes down to only one of Isidora and Dozier making it. Dozier is showing some valuable positional flexibility playing pretty well at LT vs Seattle, so he seems more likely to make the cut. 

I'd guess that Samia replaces Isidora as that developmental IOL with Dozier and Elflein (at C) as the top backup IOL. Hill and one of Udoh or Norton will be kept at backup Tackle, hopefully the other goes to the PS.

It would be nice to keep Jones too given that Elflein has been bad, just don't think they go 10 OL.