Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Ramsey does not throw the football. Until we find a guy who throws the football better than 90% of the guys throwing the football for other teams, this team will be an also-ran. 

The search for the thrower of balls must start this offseason. Any thought of giving away draft capital for a CB while Cousins is still the only viable option on the roster is foolhardy. 

I feel like I get your point and if I do I agree with you. But let me clarify one thing before I jump straight to agreement. I believe you are saying that the number one priority ought to be finding an elite QB. If so, I agree. On the other hand, if you are suggesting in any way that the team just needs to find someone that is elite at throwing the ball, I disagree. There is so much more to being an elite QB than being great at throwing the ball.

Jeff George could throw the ball as good as anyone, yet he wasn't an elite QB. Brad Johnson was a better QB. More recently, we had Sam Bradford who was one of the best at throwing the ball during his career but never more than an average QB. Case Keenum is a better QB.

Give me a Joe Montana, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees any day and twice on Sundays. They are not the best pure throwers, but they are elite QBs. I mean, I would take a Dan Marino or John Elway too; they were great throwers and also elite QBs. However, the focus ought to be on finding an elite QB whether they are an elite thrower or are elite QBs by being elite at other things. As long as you can throw with a certain level of competency, the other things are more important. 

In today's NFL finding an elite QB should be the primary focus of every team that does not already have one and it should also be a major focus for any team that has one that may be retiring in the next few years. I have always admired how the Patriots keep drafting a QB every couple years even while they have Tom Brady.  They get it.

Edited by Cearbhall
Because I don't know anything about Dan Marion. Changed it to the more familiar Dan Marino
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Fair enough. There isn't many players to look at then

And maybe there’s a reason for that. Maybe Zimmer, the DB guru, knows that his system needs a certain type of DB, and the likelihood of finding a DB who fits that type is less likely to be found outside of the early rounds. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

And maybe there’s a reason for that. Maybe Zimmer, the DB guru, knows that his system needs a certain type of DB, and the likelihood of finding a DB who fits that type is less likely to be found outside of the early rounds. 

Which is totally fair. And let's face it, his defenses have generally been good enough.... But it is a team game. They've largely failed on offense to be good enough. Not all on the coaches....

13 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Z probably got spoiled with Deion.

45 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

He does value highly skilled CBs which is why I'm sure he's interested in Ramsey. I just don't know if it's worth it for what we'd have to give up to get him

Starting tonight and going through Sunday, the Vikings are hosting their annual Legends Weekend, during which they will host more than 100 players and coaches for a variety of festivities that will culminate with the Vikings-Raiders game at U.S. Bank Stadium.

The weekend will include a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the Vikings 1969 NFL Championship team. The team also is celebrating Fantennial, with multiple events in honor of the NFL’s 100th season. Minnesota defeated Cleveland in the final NFL Championship Game before the AFL-NFL merger. The Vikings then went on to face the Chiefs in Super Bowl IV and were defeated 23-7 at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans.

In recognition of the 50th anniversary of that season, longtime reporter Sid Hartman for the Star Tribune resurfaced excerpts from a column he wrote following the Vikings first appearance in a Super Bowl. Hartman will turn 100 years old in March and predates the NFL.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-hartman-revisits-coverage-of-1969-vikings-for-50th-anniversary?sf219819253=1

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Jordan Matthews hasn't been good in awhile I thought?

Its probably not worth trading for anybody right now though.

Maybe Laquon gets one last chance here...?😒

Alot of Eagles fans are begging for Roseman to resign him. I think he is fairly reliable and is probably the best option left in free agency