Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Can you even name an unbiased media source? Unbiased media and journalism died awhile ago, let’s be honest. 

If I were to try, Fox News wouldn’t make the list. 

Outlet aside, it was an opinion piece titled: “Colin Kaepernick's NFL workout – Top takeaways (and the truth) about Saturday's tryout”

forgive me if I seem skeptical...

• Like 1

Heavy no on Kaepernick for me. Cousins is in the conversation for MVP and fans still love to hate on the guy and nitpick. Now imagine him having a poor or even average game with Kaep as your backup. The team doesn't need that kind of schism.

• Like 2

I am not closed on the idea of Kaepernick joining the Vikings.  If he's willing to take a back up role, he's certainly an improvement over Mannion.  I would also want to see how he could be used creatively...like Taysom Hill in NO...in the backfield with Cousins.  I am not worried about his social activism being a distraction, as long it's not a distraction for the Wilf's.

I personally have never been all that impressed with Kaepernick's play itself, so I really have no interest in him for the Vikings on a football basis...the whole other nonsense that got him blackballed personally never bothered me.  It was unnecessarily blown out of proportion and should never have ended his career.  However, how he's handled it hasn't been great either, but at least he hasn't gone down the Antonio Brown road.  If he doesn't truly have significant interest in playing in the NFL, fine, then just say it.  But, if you do want to play then you need to go by the rules that exist.  It's much harder to take down the giant from the outside.  You need to work inside the system and change it that way, it's much more effective.    

The NFL is revealing the 100 greatest players and 10 greatest coaches in NFL history. Every Friday night at 8 pm ET through Dec. 27, NFL Network will announce the latest members of the All-Time Team during a one-hour special hosted by Rich Eisen and featuring Bill Belichick and Cris Collinsworth.

Below are the 20 coaching finalists for the All-Time Team:

Bud Grant (1954-1973)

1994 Pro Football Hall of Fame Inductee.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001078851/article/coaching-finalists-announced-for-nfl-100-alltime-team

While there's not really a chance that he'll be on the All-Time Team, it's awesome that he made the list as a finalist.  

24 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I personally have never been all that impressed with Kaepernick's play itself, so I really have no interest in him for the Vikings on a football basis...the whole other nonsense that got him blackballed personally never bothered me.  It was unnecessarily blown out of proportion and should never have ended his career.  However, how he's handled it hasn't been great either, but at least he hasn't gone down the Antonio Brown road.  If he doesn't truly have significant interest in playing in the NFL, fine, then just say it.  But, if you do want to play then you need to go by the rules that exist.  It's much harder to take down the giant from the outside.  You need to work inside the system and change it that way, it's much more effective.    

At the end of the day, he gambled. He opted out of his own contract in hopes of making more elsewhere. I am not sure what the dynamic was between Kaepernick, Shanahan and Lynch but opting out was probably the worse thing he could have done for himself. Choosing to not play by the NFLs rules also hurt him. 

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

At the end of the day, he gambled. He opted out of his own contract in hopes of making more elsewhere. I am not sure what the dynamic was between Kaepernick, Shanahan and Lynch but opting out was probably the worse thing he could have done for himself. Choosing to not play by the NFLs rules also hurt him. 

Lynch has already said, and NFL analysts at the time believed, that Kaepernick would have been release if he hadn't opted out. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-49ers-wouldve-cut-colin-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out-of-his-contract/

Edited by wcblack34
unnecessary dig on my part.

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Of course I'm fine with it.
If Kirk goes down ... do you have even an 'ok' feeling for Mannion.

The team is winning, and if available and proved capable ... you wouldn't want Kap instead of Mannion in a road playoff game

I have no feeling on Mannion, but yes, I'd rather trust Mannion, who has been in all offseason activities, over a guy who hasn't suited up in 3 years.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Lynch has already said, and NFL analysts at the time believed, that Kaepernick would have been release if he hadn't opted out. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/the-49ers-wouldve-cut-colin-kaepernick-if-he-hadnt-opted-out-of-his-contract/

I don’t remember the contract but didn’t he have like $15 million guaranteed in 2017 if he didn’t opt out? What were the cap implications of the decision for the 49ers. I just think if you’re in this situation as a player, you don’t opt out.

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I have no feeling on Mannion, but yes, I'd rather trust Mannion, who has been in all offseason activities, over a guy who hasn't suited up in 3 years.  

The "out of football for 3 years" but is a legitimate concern. Even I'll admit that. 

If I'm signing Kaepernick right now, it's to get him ready for next year, while not expecting anything from him this year. 

Although, if the NFL really wanted to put a nail in the coffin, they'd convince a team like Cincinnati to give him the Josh Freeman treatment. Sign him Monday, start him Sunday, let him throw 3-4 picks, and then say "see! he really isn't any good!"

51 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The "out of football for 3 years" but is a legitimate concern. Even I'll admit that. 

If I'm signing Kaepernick right now, it's to get him ready for next year, while not expecting anything from him this year. 

Although, if the NFL really wanted to put a nail in the coffin, they'd convince a team like Cincinnati to give him the Josh Freeman treatment. Sign him Monday, start him Sunday, let him throw 3-4 picks, and then say "see! he really isn't any good!"

Of the QB needy teams next year, which ones will see their HC return? I’d think a decision such  as the QB position for the following season would be contingent on the HC buying in.

Dolphins, Titans, Bucs, Chargers, Bears, Broncos and Bengals are safe bets that won’t fire the HC and need a QB. Am I missing anyone? Guess you could make an argument for the Bengals and Chargers firing their HC given how bad the season has gone. 

I’ll rule out the Bucs and Titans, I just don’t see Kaepernick as a fit for what either team wants from the position. 

That leaves the Bengals, Dolphins, Chargers, Bears and Broncos.

Let’s cross off the Bears because If they are going to give Kaep a shot, why not just stick with Trubisky? As for the Broncos, I’d think they’ve seen enough of Allen to know that he isn’t trash, plus they have Lock. I could see someone like Alex Smith being an attractive FA option for Fangio, not Kaep. Much safer option and probably a better option to mentor a young QB on how to act as a professional. Kaep doesn’t fit the mold as a veteran place holder to groom a young, early pick at QB, but I could be wrong. 

So that leaves the Bengals, Dolphins and Chargers. So that leaves just three teams that would consider a QB for next year and likely no looming leadership changes. Anyone else?  

Next years FA class will also include Teddy Bridgewater, Philip Rivers, Andy Dalton, Alex Smith, Eli Manning, Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Ryan Tannehill and Case Keenum. That’s a ton of completion right there and there looks to be a fairly strong draft class if Tua is okay.

If you want to give a youngish QB with something to prove a chance, wouldn’t Bridgewater, Mariota, Tannehill or Winston be better options? Problem is, Kaep is 32 and I can’t include him in the veteran placeholder group like Smith, Dalton, Rivers or Manning given that he’s been away for so long.

Edited by vikingsrule

The thing is, Kaep doesn't expect to start. He isn't even being offered a shot to compete as a backup. He'd be a perfect backup in Baltimore or Houston. Bottom line - his talent alone should put him on a roster. He's probably in the top 50% of QBs from a talent perspective. The fact that the NFL would rather let guys like Tyreek Hill, Pacman Jones, Richie Incognito, etc. continue to play shows you that it's about money, not about the product.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

his talent alone should put him on a roster. He's probably in the top 50% of QBs from a talent perspective

I just don't agree with this, I never saw him as very good. Borderline starter/backup at his peak in my opinion. 

Regardless of the media baggage, with not having played in so long I think he would have a hard time making a roster.