Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

2 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I think about ~$7M per year would be a fair number. Pay him like a top-10 RB, but not ridiculous money. 

There need to be easy ways to get out of the contract if he can't stay healthy though.

Bonus money tied to games played and/or performance?

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

Unless he’s threatening to hold out I’d prefer he play out his contract and we reassess after next season.

Then you just don’t resign him. 

My personal choice is still just let him play out his contract and do about the same thing and target another back in the 2nd-3rd round next year.

I just don’t see this team doing that tho. I’m just not a fan of really paying these backs. Injuries and fresh legs beats all. Look at every team in the playoffs yet, rotational backs outside of Henry. In fact look at most of all the playoff teams. 

Spending money on other positions just seems more important.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Then you just don’t resign him. 

My personal choice is still just let him play out his contract and do about the same thing and target another back in the 2nd-3rd round next year.

I just don’t see this team doing that tho. I’m just not a fan of really paying these backs. Injuries and fresh legs beats all. Look at every team in the playoffs yet, rotational backs outside of Henry. In fact look at most of all the playoff teams. 

Spending money on other positions just seems more important.

Absolutely.  Look at what Dallas just did with Zeke.  Now, they're going to be hard pressed to resign their QB and need work in other places too.

Good point about the playoff teams and their RBs.  San Francisco's two main backs weren't even drafted, Green Bay's was a 5th rounder, Seattle's was a 7th rounder and on and on.  The "bell cows" are just guys that don't get gassed or hurt too often, and those are rare.  Zeke Elliott is one, and where was his team come playoff time?

My opinion is you draft guys later for their skill sets and keep them fresh, like you said.  Handing a bunch of money to Cook even if he never missed time would still be hard to do, but it's even more risky spending big chunks of cap on a guy who can't stay healthy.  He's played in 4, 10, and 14 games in his first three seasons.  You can't depend on getting a good enough return on your investment like that.

All of that is not to say that I don't think he's incredibly talented, valuable or worth the money.  He's worth it, we just don't have it.  With the money he will demand, we could literally rebuild our O-line or CB starters.  A long term, big money deal just isn't an option for us right now.  But I wish him well in Indy or Miami next season. ;)

Edited by Hyperborean
  • Like 6

I would look to trade Cook this offseason, his value is not going to be any higher. We simply can't afford him without crippling other positions and we already have the perfect back to replace him with for the offense Zimmer wants to run. If anyone offered a 1st I would accept without even looking at what pick it was.

• Like 1

Holton Hill with just a friendly reminder that you can't count on him and anything you get out of him is just a bonus.

We all want to move on from Rhodes and Hill is supposed to be one of the reasons why but we just cant count on him, we still need to move on from Rhodes regardless but we definitely need to bring in some serious talent to that room.