Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

I like Hollins, but he has to beat out KJ Osborn.

Thielen, Jefferson, Johnson and Sharpe should be locks I think.

I don’t have Johnson or Sharpe as locks. Front runners, sure. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

A coach isn’t going to keep a former 7th round pick because of ego if that player gets beat out. 

In addition to that, he actually provided a decent contribution last year...and with the shortened offseason...and actual experience, he's as much a lock as Thielen and Jefferson are, in my opinion.  

I had seen that on Twitter and was a little dumbfounded, but it shouldn't come as much of a surprise.  They probably want to see him prove it without Everson on the other side of him.  But, in the end, it's just Madden anyway.  I think I have Danielle now as a 95 or so on Madden 20, with Christian Rector (who went undrafted in the real NFL) on the other side and has turned out to be a decent DE.   

On 7/15/2020 at 1:51 PM, SemperFeist said:

A coach isn’t going to keep a former 7th round pick because of ego if that player gets beat out. 

Johnson is our number two receiver and you will talk about him with some respect. Lol but seriously I feel like the starting job is his job to lose.

3 hours ago, HeydudemanG said:

Johnson is our number two receiver and you will talk about him with some respect. Lol but seriously I feel like the starting job is his job to lose.

People act as if development is guaranteed with young players. That’s not necessarily the case. All it takes if for Johnson to still be where he was last year, and for someone else to take another step forward. 

What if 2019 is as good as Johnson will ever be? He may be the favorite for the WR3 spot, he’ll certainly be given every opportunity to take that role. But his production in 2019 wasn’t so great that he can’t get leap frogged by someone in 2020. Especially by someone who’s faster, more athletic, and may have more potential. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

People act as if development is guaranteed with young players.

This is very true. To me it has been most noticeable related to the offensive line. People are quite happy to count on guys to start based on nothing more than hope that they will develop. More often than not that hasn't worked out well for the team. Maybe it will work out better for Bradbury, but that development is not guaranteed. It is just hope.  Maybe it will work out with Samia but again, development is not guaranteed. I don't even think there is hope for our Elflein.

I've never really said he's guaranteed to progress, but based on his performance last year, unless he significantly regresses, Johnson is a virtual lock on the level of Thielen and Jefferson.  With the shortened and virtual offseason, the odds 2-3 other receivers surpassing him on the depth chart is slim to none. He's gonna be on the 53-man roster, save an injury.  

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

People are quite happy to count on guys to start based on nothing more than hope that they will develop.

Fans aren’t “counting on” anything when they project young players as future starters — we have no control over the situation. We’re just describing what the team is (or seems to be) doing.

It’s not a weird quirk of the Vikings roster management to expect an unproven young player to be a starter, after a year or two of development. Every team makes similar projections every year, at a few positions. Most players drafted in the first few rounds will get an opportunity to play the position they were drafted to fill by year 2 or 3. The salary cap and roster limits make it impossible to do otherwise. There aren’t enough established veterans to fill every roster spot to the point that young prospects would have to beat out a legitimate starter to earn their chance to play.

The problem with the Vikings OL hasn’t been that they committed too much to unproven players, it’s that their OL players haven’t been good enough, young and old.