Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

13 hours ago, Krauser said:

Newman’s contract numbers mean they aren’t expecting him to play much, but he’s willing to come back in a backup role. 

He was really good in the slot last year. Unless he falls off considerably, or Hughes is exceptional in preseason, I think Newman will start at NCB week one. 

Newman got exposed a couple of times playing outside last year, so I wouldn’t mind seeing one of the young guys take his spot as the first backup off the bench if Rhodes or Waynes miss snaps. 

I expect them to start Hughes out as a slot CB and move Alexander outside as a depth guy there. 

My guess:

• CB1/ CB2: Rhodes/Waynes
  • NCB: Newman —> Hughes when he’s ready
  • 1st off the bench to play outside: Alexander
  • 1st off the bench to play slot: Hughes —> Newman
  • Special teams mainly: Hill

I was leaning towards the opinion that they are considering moving Alexander back outside when they drafted Hughes.  He seems to be more comfortable there and they may be able to get more out of him if they do so.  

I don't think "moving" someone to/from the slot matters at all. Zimmer has said he likes to start rookie corners by learning the slot position even if they might be playing outside more often because it is the hardest position on the field and he wants them to know all 3 positions.

Saying Alexander is the slot CB or that Hughes is going to be a slot CB doesn't mean anything. Both are capable of playing inside or outside, and Zimmer will expect the CBs (outside of Rhodes and Waynes who are already locked at their positions) to be ready to play anywhere.

7 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Hmmm, Johnny Stanton went to my HS in southern California. He was a big deal then, had a full ride to Nebraska and I think he tore his knee middle of his senior season and never really got it back. 

Edited by battle2heaven
heres background article on him https://www.ocregister.com/2015/09/03/johnny-stanton-tries-to-revive-career-at-saddleback-college/

6 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

So Linehan will battle against Sloter for the #3 spot? Interesting.

I'd give Sloter the early edge.

There’s not going to be any battle. Linehan is an arm for these guys during rookie camps. 

Linehan is here on a tryout. He doesn’t have a contract. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

So Linehan will battle against Sloter for the #3 spot? Interesting.

I'd give Sloter the early edge.

If we are talking about rookie QBs, I like Peter Pujals the most out of the group. I think he has practice squad ability. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

If we are talking about rookie QBs, I like Peter Pujals the most out of the group. I think he has practice squad ability. 

Might have the ability but it’s doubtful we keep a practice squad QB if we keep three on the roster. 

• Like 1