Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

35 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Kendricks is going to get signed for a 1 year bargain, and then head into FA next year.

I agree that this is the likely scenario. Like Brock was for the Vikings, Kendricks could be a good acquisition to boost a team's depth for a year while also boosting a team's compensatory formula net gains/losses  after next season.  Kendricks would be better depth for the Vikings than Brock was ever able to be owing to a much lower learning curves for LBers in the scheme the Vikings have been running under coach Zimmer.

Signing Kendricks might not require much money to get signed for the year. The team would have to sacrifice deep depth that they may have liked to keep on the roster for development purposes perhaps risking the loss of that guy to practice squad poaching by other teams. This is a risk I would take for a year of solid depth provided by Kendricks.

I don't think that Kendricks would have visited without having at least a general idea of what the team could offer him. The offers available from the Browns and Raiders are likely similar and Kendricks is visiting the teams to determine which team he feels would be a best fit for him. I would love to see him pick the Vikings.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I wouldn't trade him for less than a 1st and a 3rd (and even then, I'd waffle on that...I'd really prefer a 2nd instead of the 3rd).

This looks like another way to say that you wouldn't trade Barr.

I also can't really answer the question about what the team could get for Barr, but if the team doesn't think they'll be able to sign Barr after the year, if they think Mychal Kendricks could competently hold the position for the year,  and a team offered them a second round pick for Barr I think they should  consider pulling the trigger. They shouldn't consider it for anything less. It does seem realistic that another team would trade away a second round pick for Barr; the Patriots were able to get a third round pick from the Browns for Jamie Collins.

Edited by Cearbhall
I couldn't English well enough on my first try
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

This looks like another way to say that you wouldn't trade Barr.

I also can't really answer the question about what the team could get for Barr, but if the team doesn't think they'll be able to sign Barr after the year, if they think Mychal Kendricks could competently hold the position for the year,  and a team offered them a second round pick for Barr I think they should pull the trigger consider it. They shouldn't consider it for anything less. It does seem realistic that another team would trade away a second round pick for Barr; the Patriots were able to get a third round pick from the Browns for Jamie Collins.

I personally wouldn't trade Barr, because for me, I'd rather get the full year out of him and let him walk (if they can't extend him) than not have him this season at all and hope to get good players out of draft picks.  He knows the defense better than Mychal Kendricks and any other player that they would potentially draft as a replacement next season.

Edited by disaacs
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I agree that this is the likely scenario. Like Brock was for the Vikings, Kendricks could be a good acquisition to boost a team's depth for a year while also boosting a team's compensatory formula net gains/losses  after next season.  Kendricks would be better depth for the Vikings than Brock was ever able to be owing to a much lower learning curves for LBers in the scheme the Vikings have been running under coach Zimmer.

Signing Kendricks might not require much money to get signed for the year. The team would have to sacrifice deep depth that they may have liked to keep on the roster for development purposes perhaps risking the loss of that guy to practice squad poaching by other teams. This is a risk I would take for a year of solid depth provided by Kendricks.

I don't think that Kendricks would have visited without having at least a general idea of what the team could offer him. The offers available from the Browns and Raiders are likely similar and Kendricks is visiting the teams to determine which team he feels would be a best fit for him. I would love to see him pick the Vikings.

that is one well articulated post....

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

lots of chatter starting up here about trading Barr...

what could we get for him?

Barr is better than Alec Ogletree, who had a comparable role for the Rams, but he’s probably going to be more expensive long-term, his long-term contract status isn’t clear and his cap hit this year is very high. 

On talent alone he’s worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but I think they’d be more likely to land a 4th, which is what the Rams got from NYG for Ogletree, along with upgrading a 7th for a 6th. 

if they do sign MK, they might as well keep Barr and just let one or the other of them leave next year. That’d net a comp pick probably in the range of a 4th, and they’d benefit from the quality depth this year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

But which of those teams have shown interest?

Of the 3 teams reported to have shown interest, Cleveland is really the only team in a position to make that kind of offer. Oakland has less than $3M in cap space, and Minnesota can use the depth, but they’ve got more pressing needs to allocate their money towards. 

The reality is that it’s June. Big money contracts are over, heck, even market value contracts are done. It’s bargain hunting season. Kendricks is going to get signed for a 1 year bargain, and then head into FA next year. That’s where we’re at in the offseason. 

The Browns have a very good and pretty expensive WLB in Christian Kirksey. The Raiders starting WLB is projected to be our old friend Emmanuel Lamur, who’s making $720K. Not sure if one or the other is more likely to make an offer than the Vikings. Even if the Raiders are cap strapped this year, they might be able to offer a long term deal with a lower cap hit in 2018.

I’m surprised there isn’t more interest. LB play around the league isn’t great. Kendricks is a legit quality starter, not too old, and played well last year.

If the best he can get on the market is something like $2M, I’d be happy to see the Vikings sign Kendricks. Not sure how much playing time he’d get barring injuries but at least he’d get to play on a successful, high profile defense — might be better for his reputation than the alternatives. 

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

lots of chatter starting up here about trading Barr...

what could we get for him?

I'm not sure what his value is but i'd certainly want a starter for 2018, preferably OL, not a draft pick.

Edited by vikingsrule

The Jets traded Richardson to the Seahawks a week before the start of last season. He said he’s in a much better situation now with a full offseason and training camp to learn the Vikings’ system, but that it still hasn’t been easy.

Richardson: “I’m picking up coaches' techniques and I’m learning a whole new way to pass rush. It’s taken a little longer than what I expected, but I’m definitely coming along.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/30/forget-the-pro-bowl-vikings-dt-sheldon-richardson-wants-to-be-named-all-pro/