Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

54 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Jordan Schultz✔@Schultz_Report (Yahoo Sports)

#Browns and LB Mychal Kendricks have agreed to a one-year deal, with a max value of $3.5 million, per source. Kendricks will start from day one for Cleveland.

I was going to say I'll wait for the report from a more reliable source like Rapaport, buuuut........

Vikings defensive end Brian Robison took some time before agreeing to a pay cut to return for a 12th season. He said “more than likely” this is his final season.

Robison: “I’ve talked to my wife and family about it, and the body’s just getting to that point. I’m not going to make that decision wholeheartedly until probably the season starts, but I would say more than likely it probably will be my final season. If you ask me that in August, I’ll have a definite answer. I’ve been around this business long enough to have kind of learned the business because I wanted to, and I kind of knew a pay cut was coming. I didn’t think it’d be that much, but I definitely saw it coming. Me and Rick Spielman actually had a conversation about it, and I think for me it was just making the right decision for me and my family.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/05/brian-robison-expects-to-retire-after-the-2018-season/

Spielman: “It’s a good problem to have, but we have a very high-priced roster right now. Eventually some of those guys are going to get aged out, just like we had some of our other Pro Bowlers, and you have to replace them. The hardest thing right now is the economic structure on our team where we have all these high-priced guys now because they all deserve to get paid the way they’ve been playing. But economically, we’re not going to go out there, you can’t play fantasy football and have $3 million, $4 million or $5 million backup guys. Those are going to be the young guys that we’ve drafted or we’ve developed.’’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/11/vikings-g-m-doesnt-mind-writing-big-checks/

45 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Spielman: “It’s a good problem to have, but we have a very high-priced roster right now. Eventually some of those guys are going to get aged out, just like we had some of our other Pro Bowlers, and you have to replace them. The hardest thing right now is the economic structure on our team where we have all these high-priced guys now because they all deserve to get paid the way they’ve been playing. But economically, we’re not going to go out there, you can’t play fantasy football and have $3 million, $4 million or $5 million backup guys. Those are going to be the young guys that we’ve drafted or we’ve developed.’’

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/11/vikings-g-m-doesnt-mind-writing-big-checks/

I hope we look really hard for an heir apparent QB in the 1st or 2nd round next season for this precise reason. Cousins is here on a 3 year fully guaranteed deal. In 3 years, he'll only be 33 when he hits the market again, and he's going to likely look for another fully guaranteed deal that tops out around 35-40 million, the way contracts are going. 

As I've stated before, with these prices, teams should be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round every year or two to see if they fan find a guy on a cheap contract who can keep them competitive longer (i.e. Russel Wilson, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff).

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

I hope we look really hard for an heir apparent QB in the 1st or 2nd round next season for this precise reason. Cousins is here on a 3 year fully guaranteed deal. In 3 years, he'll only be 33 when he hits the market again, and he's going to likely look for another fully guaranteed deal that tops out around 35-40 million, the way contracts are going. 

As I've stated before, with these prices, teams should be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round every year or two to see if they fan find a guy on a cheap contract who can keep them competitive longer (i.e. Russel Wilson, Carson Wentz, Jared Goff).

QB is the most important position on the field. Like you said, he'll only be 33 in the first season of his next contract. I'm not letting him go unless he completely bombs in his three years here.

Like Rick said, now it's about developing our depth. We have our core pieces at the top. Everyone else will probably be cycling in and out every few years.