Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I wouldn’t read too much into it. 

I wouldn't either, but someone did point it out on Twitter.  The FB thing though is interesting, as well as the Compton thing, especially as I was thinking Compton was competing for a guard position, not a tackle position...I think he's an undersized tackle.  

3 hours ago, disaacs said:

I wouldn't either, but someone did point it out on Twitter.  The FB thing though is interesting, as well as the Compton thing, especially as I was thinking Compton was competing for a guard position, not a tackle position...I think he's an undersized tackle.  

From OTA and minicamp reports, I think it became very obvious that Remmers is going to be the starting RG. The only real competition left along the line is at RT. 

51 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

From OTA and minicamp reports, I think it became very obvious that Remmers is going to be the starting RG. The only real competition left along the line is at RT. 

I never thought Compton was a serious contender to start anywhere on the line...my only thought process is that I thought he was a serious contender to be the primary backup to whoever was starting at guard.  The fact that now he's solely going to be playing OT is surprising to me because he has much less chance to stick at OT than OG considering the top 3 tackles are virtually guaranteed to be Reiff, Hill, and O'Neill, with Remmers as a fall-back option if injuries occur.  And then he's also probably significantly behind Collins for the one remaining possibility.  He pretty much has little to no chance to make the roster now.   

Changing his position to OT doesn’t mean that’s where he’ll play solely. 

Compton is very likely going to be Sirles’ replacement. A guy who can play both guard and tackle. 

Compton has experience at both guard and tackle. I don’t think he’ll have trouble making the roster. If anything, guys like Collins, Isidora, and even Gossett might have more of a difficult time making the roster due to their lack of versatility. 

• Like 2

If Remmers and Hill is the right side of your offensive line, and you choose not to keep Compton, you’ve got a whopping 1 game of starting experience combined amongst the backups. Isidora is the only one with any real experience along the 5 man front. Collins got 28 snaps last year, but I believe they all came as a 3rd OT. 

Edited by SemperFeist

8 hours ago, disaacs said:

Apparently, in the meantimes since mini-camp, we've had some position changes...

Holton Hill is now strictly a CB

Jack Tocho is now strictly a CB (I believe he had been playing some S as well)

Terence Newman is now a DB, instead of just a CB...as is Marcus Sherels.  

Tom Compton is now strictly an OT

CJ Ham is no longer a FB...he's a RB (which means Johnny Stanton is the only FB on the roster)

Never saw Hill as a safety, Tocho is back where he is probably at his best, most likely still won’t make the roster. I hope for the best for Ham and he makes the roster. I really liked what he did with his limited time playing FB

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If Remmers and Hill is the right side of your offensive line, and you choose not to keep Compton, you’ve got a whopping 1 game of starting experience combined amongst the backups. Isidora is the only one with any real experience along the 5 man front. Collins got 28 snaps last year, but I believe they all came as a 3rd OT. 

I wonder how many teams actually have backups with any significant starting experience.  

On 6/25/2018 at 4:46 PM, gopherwrestler said:

Never saw Hill as a safety, Tocho is back where he is probably at his best, most likely still won’t make the roster. I hope for the best for Ham and he makes the roster. I really liked what he did with his limited time playing FB

Exactly, It amazed me how some here thought he would be better suited to play Safety.  If Hill stays out of trouble(which from everything I've heard he's strictly focused on football) then we got an absolute steal as an UDFA and someone with the talent to be another #1CB

The Minnesota Vikings didn’t have a losing season from 1992 to ’97, though the team was becoming synonymous with its lack of playoff success—five times in those six years the Vikings went to the postseason, but only once did they make it even to the divisional round.

The story of the 1998 Vikings, arguably one of the best and most heartbreaking teams in NFL history, begins here, 20 years ago …

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/27/1998-minnesota-vikings-randy-moss-randall-cunningham-cris-carter-dennis-green-gary-anderson

One of the best reads of all offseason.  

Edited by disaacs

Spielman:  “We want to keep all of our guys, and we’ll try to see if there’s a way that we can do that because those guys are very important to us and we would love to get them locked up as well.”

Spielman noted that the Vikings got three deals done last summer as salary-cap guru Rob Brzezinski worked his magic. The Vikings extended cornerback Xavier Rhodes, defensive end Everson Griffen and defensive tackle Linval Joseph. They hope to do the same this summer.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/27/danielle-hunters-deal-now-done-vikings-working-on-stefon-diggs-anthony-barr/  

8 hours ago, Boda said:

Exactly, It amazed me how some here thought he would be better suited to play Safety.  If Hill stays out of trouble(which from everything I've heard he's strictly focused on football) then we got an absolute steal as an UDFA and someone with the talent to be another #1CB

Absolutely. Still Gave him a late first grade minus the off the field stuff. Such a good fit for the Vikings.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Boda said:

I didn’t see him as better suited, but I saw it as a way for him to see the field sooner. His tackling ability, and ability to sift through garbage are ideal safety traits. I would love to see him excel at corner and make Waynes expendable so his money could be spent elsewhere and he could potentially nab us valuable resources through trade or compensatory pick. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

I didn’t see him as better suited, but I saw it as a way for him to see the field sooner. His tackling ability, and ability to sift through garbage are ideal safety traits. I would love to see him excel at corner and make Waynes expendable so his money could be spent elsewhere and he could potentially nab us valuable resources through trade or compensatory pick. 

My comment wasn't really directed at any one person, it just seriously amazed me that before all the good news has been coming out about Hill I tried saying the same thing that if he can stay focused he had #1 CB potential and some basically said that wasn't true simply because he didn't get drafted because that talented of players still get drafted somewhere or that he didn't have that potential and should just instead focus on making the team.  It is what it is and everyones allowed their own opinion I was just kind of blown back by some of the responses.