Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

I've read several comments calling for Barr, Diggs and Waynes to take team friendly (discounted) deals.  My question is why would they do that?  The idea of capping rookie contracts was so that those players who out performed would be rewarded with their second contract.  I believe Diggs has far surpassed the value of his 5th round rookie contract.  Waynes is close to his value, and Barr has done better then his 1st round rookie contract. 

Now, I hate free agency...but, it's the system that is used by the league.  I think it would be to Barr's and Digg's benefit to at least explore what the market might be for their talent.  As a Vikings fan, I want them to stay with the team...but, if they could get better pay elsewhere...why not?

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

...but, if they could get better pay elsewhere...why not?

Because they would be getting paid NOW. Diggs would have long-term security heading into the season as opposed to playing the season out and potentially getting injured, which could decrease his value on the open market next spring. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Because they would be getting paid NOW. Diggs would have long-term security heading into the season as opposed to playing the season out and potentially getting injured, which could decrease his value on the open market next spring. 

Pay is the most heavily weighted factor, but not the only variable. I agree with VDM that security is important. I also believe continuity and recent success/potential are important as well. I think the Vikings offer both security and success. If the pay is fair, it’s a good chance the three players mentioned will remain in MN, IMO.

48 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

It's a crap shoot for sure...I wonder what the advice the agents of Barr and Diggs give?  I wonder how they present the choice of present security at a lower salary versus a lager salary the client could potentially make elsewhere if the player stays healthy?  It's an interesting dilemma,

Edited by Guest

It makes sense to sign earlier in order to lock in guaranteed money that might not be offered next offseason if the player gets hurt or declines somehow. 

It also makes sense to sign earlier in order to get the signing bonus as soon as possible. Money now is worth more than money later, especially a year later. Some players will be getting much more money from their signing bonus than they've made in their career so far. Hunter was in that boat -- made $2.2M on the first 3 years of his rookie deal, got a signing bonus of $15M -- and now so is Diggs (made roughly $2M so far, likely gets ~$20M as a bonus). 

The other factor is that some players will want to stay with the team they know, especially if they have a good relationship with their coaches and teammates, play on a competitive team and like or at least don't mind living in that city. That's not just a matter of familiarity or the comforts of home, it has to do with building a professional reputation (look how much more recognition Smith, Rhodes and Griffen got last year in the context of the team's success; they would't be nearly as well known if they'd played similarly well on a bottom feeder team, even if the defense was decent) and also maximizing the chances of earning more of the value of the contract (sign long term the year before new coaches and schemes come in because the team is struggling, like Greg Jennings did, and you might not last long even if you play OK). 

The total value of the money players leave on the table can seem considerable (sometimes millions) but as a percentage it's usually more like 10-20%, and that's balanced by the security and the value of getting paid sooner, as well as the benefit of being in control of the next few years of their career. Many of us have probably made similar choices in careers or other life situations, choosing to maximize control, convenience, security or other elements of personal happiness rather than squeezing out every last dollar. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, RpMc said:

I might be the only one, but I think it's time to let the Minneapolis Miracle die!  It was fun for a week.  Then the Vikings got crushed in the NFCG which took all the joy out of that play for me.

12 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I might be the only one, but I think it's time to let the Minneapolis Miracle die!  It was fun for a week.  Then the Vikings got crushed in the NFCG which took all the joy out of that play for me.

You're not the only one.  The loss the next week really did kill it for me.  They say that "miracles" like that will generally be the only thing that people will remember from the playoffs.  That may be true for most non-Vikings fans, but we won't forget what happened a week later.  

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Not for me. As an isolated moment, that is one of the greatest sports memories that I have.

As an isolated moment, sure, but even then, it was kind of diminished because of what happened a week later.  If I can use a comparison, the only comparable moment in Minnesota sports history for me was Kirby Puckett's HR in Game 6 of the '91 World Series.  If Jack Morris hadn't done what he did one night later and the Braves had won, I'm not sure Puckett's HR would be as meaningful to me as it was.  Sure, it's would still be a great moment on it's own, but it would be diminished.  I mean, how hard is it to recall Anthony Carter's performance against the 49ers in the 1987 playoffs?  While it's not a "moment", per se...it's one of the greatest single-handed performances by a WR in the playoffs in the history of the NFL, yet it's not top of the mind when you think of Vikings' playoff history, because they lost the next week on a Darren Nelson drop.  It's the nature of the beast.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

I don't have to tie things together though. Some people do and that's ok, but I love that play for what it was - a historic finish to an awesome playoff game for my favorite sports franchise.

Agreed. How the season ended doesn't matter with regard to the way I felt watching that play unfold. I've experienced very few moments of elation in my life which matched the feeling I had on that day. I'll never forget where I was, I'll never forget how I reacted, and I'll never forget how I felt. That, in and of itself, is what a special moment is made of. 

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, DocHambone said:

Anyone think Charch is a bigger homer than Gerbie? lol.

If Gerby is a real person, there is no bigger homer than him.  He thinks MAGA stands for Make ARodg Great Again.  

Edited by disaacs