Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

What position does Mack play in our defense? He doesn't really have the capabilities of a true 43 OBLB like Barr does, and we've got two pricy defensive ends already. I'm not sure Oakland would make this move either, because they would still be shelling out $20M plus for Barr/Waynes and would lose a lot of pass rush.

If you were making a move for Mack, you'd have to ship Everson out of town. In a vacuum, I'd make that move, but Everson is the emotional leader of the defense and still extremely productive.

17 minutes ago, RpMc said:

What position does Mack play in our defense? He doesn't really have the capabilities of a true 43 OBLB like Barr does, and we've got two pricy defensive ends already. I'm not sure Oakland would make this move either, because they would still be shelling out $20M plus for Barr/Waynes and would lose a lot of pass rush.

If you were making a move for Mack, you'd have to ship Everson out of town. In a vacuum, I'd make that move, but Everson is the emotional leader of the defense and still extremely productive.

Well if we're already talking about getting Barr after the QB more, I don't doubt that Mack could adjust to our D. Of course, we don't know how effective he'd be in it either. Athletically, Barr and Mack are quite similar as far as measurables go. If Barr had gone to the Raiders, do you think the Vikings would have passed on Mack?

No, but I don't think he would have been an off the ball linebacker.  He would have been a defensive end for us; having Mack play like Barr has for us, or even will potentially this year, takes away from what he does best and that's just get after the quarterback and focus on that.

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Understanding that this will never happen, nor is it being discussed, and that you would have to pay $20MM a year, would you trade Anthony Barr, Trae Waynes, and our 2019 first-round draft pick for Kahlil Mack?

No. It doesn’t make the Vikings better. In fact, it makes them worse. 

Edited by SemperFeist

Also, Sendejo’s salary is 5.45 Million next season. He’s two years older than Iloka. Even if we brought him in on a one-year deal, he could be signed long term if we wanted to cut Sendejo’s salary. 

He probably will go somewhere else on a prove it deal so he can hit FA next year when the market opens. 

Honestly, no, Iloka at this point of his career isn't an upgrade over Sendejo. If he were still that caliber of player, the Bengals would have found other ways to make salary moves.  All he has over Sendejo is a name that's recognized as someone who was highly paid as a free agent.  His level of play hasn't ever matched the contract he signed in Cincy. Take PFF metrics for what they are but Sendejo was the more highly rated player last year as safety #13... Iloka was #40

If he comes cheap, he'd be good depth due to his familiarity with Zimmer and the defensive system.

Edited by RpMc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Honestly, no, Iloka at this point of his career isn't an upgrade over Sendejo. If he were still that caliber of player, the Bengals would have found other ways to make salary moves.  All he has over Sendejo is a name that's recognized as someone who was highly paid as a free agent.  His level of play hasn't ever matched the contract he signed in Cincy. Take PFF metrics for what they are but Sendejo was the more highly rated player last year as safety #13... Iloka was #40

If he comes cheap, he'd be good depth due to his familiarity with Zimmer and the defensive system.

Agree. Only way I would go after him is cheap. He is such a great fit in this defense, but he really isn’t an exact improvement over Sendejo