Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

10 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I do think now is the time to consider small trades to bolster the OL depth. Only if it's an upgrade though.

To be honest, once our main guys get healthy, I don't totally hate where our OL should be at. But guys have to get healthy. If not, we need reinforcements because it drops off quickly.

It's really hard to gauge where the line is at with absolutely no one healthy and Elflein having yet to take a single rep in practice. We don't know if Remmers/Hill of Someone/Remmers is our best bet at RG/RT. I'm sure the coaching staff must be frustrated. The good news is that we're learning what we have behind those guys. 

27 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

He looked like he lost a fair amount of weight. Much harder to put on weigh than to take it off

Desperate times call for desperate measures, correct?  He could put the weight back on for a few million dollars, of that I am sure.  I would sure be willing to put on weight for a few million dollars lol.

Just now, perrynoid said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures, correct?  He could put the weight back on for a few million dollars, of that I am sure.  I would sure be willing to put on weight for a few million dollars lol.

Putting on weight isn’t the issue, it’s putting on the weight and turning some of it to muscle. It’s about absolutely impossible. 

He would be so far away you may not see him until the end of the year to beat out some of these younger guys by the time he would be “maybe” in football shape at his playing weight. 

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

Putting on weight isn’t the issue, it’s putting on the weight and turning some of it to muscle. It’s about absolutely impossible. 

He would be so far away you may not see him until the end of the year to beat out some of these younger guys by the time he would be “maybe” in football shape at his playing weight. 

How much weight would he have to put on, in your estimation?

32 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

In rural 'Merica, we call this "The chickens always come home to roost."  If we had paid more attention to the o-line, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Paying more attention to the offensive line would have prevented 4 starters from getting injured?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

Paying more attention to the offensive line would have prevented 4 starters from getting injured?

No, but it would have mitigated the consequences, correct?  I hate to second-guess the FO, since hindsight is 20/20.  But, many of us have expressed our concerns over the past few years about the lack of resources put into the OL.  Now I suppose the Good Doctor will come in and blow my views apart which is fine lol.

1 minute ago, perrynoid said:

No, but it would have mitigated the consequences, correct?  I hate to second-guess the FO, since hindsight is 20/20.  But, many of us have expressed our concerns over the past few years about the lack of resources put into the OL.  Now I suppose the Good Doctor will come in and blow my views apart which is fine lol.

I definitely understand that, but last year we dumped big money into Reiff and Remmers and drafted Elflein. This year we drafted a 2nd round lineman and signed Compton to be a backup. We have also spent multiple late picks on lineman. A month ago we clearly had our starting 5 with O'Neill, Compton, Collins, Isidora, Edison and others competing for backup duties. You cannot predict injuries, and I don't think reaching for a lineman we weren't sold on in the first would have solved our problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, perrynoid said:

I would beg Berger to reconsider un-retirement.  He was a very good starter for us; graded out as one of our better offensive linemen when he was here.

They already put a call into him and he has not interest in playing again. He said, “he doesn’t miss it at all.”

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, perrynoid said:

50 pounds (I'm guessing) in two weeks? Seems excessive, no?

1 hour ago, perrynoid said:

In rural 'Merica, we call this "The chickens always come home to roost."  If we had paid more attention to the o-line, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

How have we not paid attention to the offensive line?

Let's see, here's what we're dealing with for our depth....

Reiff: signed last year
Easton: traded for in 2015
Elflein: drafted last year
Remmers: signed last year
Hill: signed in 2016
Compton: signed this year
Collins: signed last year
O'Neill: drafted last year
Isidora: drafted last year
Edison: signed last year
Andrews: signed this year
Gossett: drafted this year
Lang: signed last year
Norton: signed last year
Joseph: signed this year
Quinn: signed this year

So out of the 16 players who are in our facility every day, all but 2 players were added to the roster either last year or this year. Yep, sounds like we don't pay enough attention to the position group. We never bring anyone new in!

• Like 1