Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

6 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Harrison Smith is, in my opinion, one of the top 5 if not the best defensive player in the NFL. Maybe it's the homer in me, but I don't think there is a more versatile defensive player that excels at every spot he plays.

Needs that defensive player of the year award so we can get him into the Hall of Fame

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

such a valued draft pickup for the Vikings, Smith is. and one he says they never talked to prior to the draft.

Mostly correct. They didn't want other teams to be tipped off about their interest before the draft, so they didn't meet with him after they coached him at the Senior Bowl.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TENINCH said:

Needs that defensive player of the year award so we can get him into the Hall of Fame

Won't ever happen for a DB. Smith is up there for sure as one of the best defensive players in the league. Though, Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Luke Kuechly and J.J. Watt (if ever healthy again) all deserve to be part of the conversation.

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Won't ever happen for a DB. Smith is up there for sure as one of the best defensive players in the league. Though, Aaron Donald, Khalil Mack, Von Miller, Luke Kuechly and J.J. Watt (if ever healthy again) all deserve to be part of the conversation.

With respect to the Vikes and defense player of the year, I think Danielle Hunter has and outside chance. I know some would argue Griffen, but I think Hunter is in for a big year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, marshpit23 said:

With respect to the Vikes and defense player of the year, I think Danielle Hunter has and outside chance. I know some would argue Griffen, but I think Hunter is in for a big year. 

Both have a case. Really, about 5 Vikings could probably make a run for it

• Like 1

11 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

10 DBs have won DPOTY (which is about 20% of the time).  While it may be unlikely due to Zimmer's defensive style, you can't say it won't ever happen.  The last DB to win was Polamalu in '10...and he was the 3rd in 4 years (Woodson and Bob Sanders were the others)  

Edited by swede700

A big part of the voting to me is player recognition across the league. A player can have stats, but a player's chances for winning are improved if they have a big enough name. Would 8 INTs from Sendejo earn him the award, probably not. 8 INTs for Smith or Rhodes might though, because everyone is starting to know guys like Rhodes and Smith across the league. 

• Like 1