Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

59 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I don't know if that could happen as it'd be a lateral move, coordinator to coordinator. They'd have to give him an associate head coach title or something like that. At least, I believe that is how it works.

His contract has to run out at some point

3 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

Right...I guess I'm under the assumption the Vikings would look to resign him.

He's got a good thing going her but if he has aspirations to be a head coach, it might not be a bad idea for him to look around to see what other opportunities are out there other than being a head coach

40 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

It'd be nice to play Seattle in Minnesota. Maybe then we could beat them.

Our schedule might be brutal next year anyways though.

It's always difficult to predict from season to season. I'd almost expect Dallas and LA to be worse next year. Seattle is always tough at home and the Giants are likely in a transition year with either a rookie QB or stop gap under center. The Chiefs will be difficult with Mahomes. 

• Like 1

On 12/14/2018 at 9:02 AM, SemperFeist said:

i wonder if we could find ourselves with all new coordinators next year? 

Although, I would put the odds pretty low. 

The odds are low, but if it were to happen, I'm pretty sure they'd have an in-house candidate to replace him in Jerry Gray (which then they could elevate Terence to full-time DB coach).  

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The odds are low, but if it were to happen, I'm pretty sure they'd have an in-house candidate to replace him in Jerry Gray (which then they could elevate Terence to full-time DB coach).  

To be perfectly honest, if Edwards were to leave for a HC job, I’d be a lot more interested in hiring Todd Bowles to be the DC (providing he’s let go in New York). It seems as though Zimmer would be greatly benefited by handing over some, if not all, of the defensive play calling duties. And getting an experienced DC like Bowles might make Zimmer more inclined to let those duties go. 

However, unless someone leaves for a coordinator job elsewhere, I don’t envision the current coordinators to change.

Edited by SemperFeist

9 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

To be perfectly honest, if Edwards were to leave for a HC job, I’d be a lot more interested in hiring Todd Bowles to be the DC (providing he’s let go in New York). It seems as though Zimmer would be greatly benefited by handing over some, if not all, of the defensive play calling duties. And getting an experienced DC like Bowles might make Zimmer more inclined to let those duties go. 

However, unless someone leaves for a coordinator job elsewhere, I don’t envision the current coordinators to change.

Jerry Gray is an experienced DC.  He's been a DC for a total of 8 years in both Buffalo and Tennessee.  

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I don't think Zimmer will ever give up play calling duties. Plenty of HCs have retained play calling duties. What Zimmer needs is a strong offensive coaching staff so Zimmer doesn't have to micromanage. It worked well with Shurmur but was a disaster with DeFiliippo.

Zimmers problem though is he will likely always have a revolving door at OC. Success means that coach gets a HC gig. Failure means they are pushed out midseason.

Edited by vikingsrule

12 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Jerry Gray is an experienced DC.  He's been a DC for a total of 8 years in both Buffalo and Tennessee.  

Experienced, yes. Poor word choice on my part. Maybe successful is a better choice. I don’t remember Gray’s defense’s in Buffalo, but I do remember them being fairly mediocre in Tennessee. Whereas, I thought Bowles was an excellent DC in Arizona. Plus, if Gray is comfortable where he’s at, I’d much rather leave him there and continue to coach these young DBs.